Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E46 Coupe 2002 coolant light

• 09-07-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

The coolant light on dashboard won,t come on at any stage, especially when initial start up, for that few seconds.
    Have ordered a new level sensor to see if that was the problem...am sure there is no specific fuse for the coolant light, maybe a bulb ?
    Problem started after mechanic never attached radiator hose properly, resulting in it becoming detached and 3/4 pts.of coolant spraying the engine bay.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As far as I am aware those E46's had a cooling issue, and parts need replacing.
    Anyhow, wrong forum. I will get a mod to move it to Motors as you would get better response there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's also not unheard of for e46's to develop funny dash light problems where certain lights just stop working due to k-bus/canbus problems.

But since your issue has came up after work on the cooling system it's most likely a wiring/sensor issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's also not unheard of for e46's to develop funny dash light problems where certain lights just stop working due to k-bus/canbus problems.

But since your issue has came up after work on the cooling system it's most likely a wiring/sensor issue there.

I've not heard of these dash light problems in all my years with an e46, at least not commonly.

e46 are well known for cooling issues. But honestly, if the coolant was recently refilled it could be that the system has not been properly bled. If there's air in the system, you'll see the coolant light come on intermittently.

But, given that it's an e46, and the age of the car there could also be any number of coolant leaks. A proper investigation is needed to root cause this issue. First step is to check the coolant level when the engine is cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've not heard of these dash light problems in all my years with an e46, at least not commonly.

Not common but not unheard of.

My own e46 presented with some such problems a few months ago. (Indicator dash lights not working but indicators working, light to show lights are on not working but headlights working a few other discrepancies too) found plenty of posts about similar problems after a bit of searching on Google.

The car had been laid up for about a month but everything just fixed itself eventually after a bit of driving over the course of about a fortnight . Dash light to show lights are on still isn't working but the blue heads dash light is and the front fog lights dash light is back working too.

As I said though the ops problem has most likely been caused by the work done on the cooling system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Trebhygt wrote: »
    The coolant light on dashboard won,t come on at any stage, especially when initial start up, for that few seconds.
    Have ordered a new level sensor to see if that was the problem...am sure there is no specific fuse for the coolant light, maybe a bulb ?
    Problem started after mechanic never attached radiator hose properly, resulting in it becoming detached and 3/4 pts.of coolant spraying the engine bay.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks.

If there is enough coolant you should never see the light come on, even when you turn on the ignition and all the other lights come on.

The only time I've ever seen it come on in my one is when I do the hidden menu test.

That said, it does sound like there is an issue with yours based on what's contained in your OP. They are well known for cracking expansion tanks; they also develops leaks through the radiator and associated hoses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Trebhygt

If there is enough coolant you should never see the light come on, even when you turn on the ignition and all the other lights come on.

The only time I've ever seen it come on in my one is when I do the hidden menu test.

That said, it does sound like there is an issue with yours based on what's contained in your OP. They are well known for cracking expansion tanks; they also develops leaks through the radiator and associated hoses.

Took over 2 litres of coolant out, drove car and as you said, light only ever comes on when coolant low and never on start up.
    Thanks for that.ðŸ‘

Advertisement