Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sharing a car still considered "fronting"?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My partner and I are buying a car later this year - we'll be sharing it between us for equal amounts of time. Obviously only one of us can be the primary policy holder and the other will be an additional named driver.

My partner has an Irish license and 5 years no claim bonus...I on the other hand have a foreign (EU) license and no NCB...so the obvious choice is for my partner to be the primary driver and I'll be the additional driver. I may be wrong, but I assume the premium would be lower with her as the primary driver.

However, I'm confused as to whether insurance companies will see this as "fronting", even though this is a car shared between partners for equal amounts of time, not a new driver/parent situation. Would the insurance companies expect the higher risk driver (me in this case) to be the primary holder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Its not considered fronting as there is only one family vehicle and there will be shared use. Fronting is generally a parent taking out a new policy while maintaining their existing policy and having a child as a named driver on the new policy and the child will be the main driver.

Advertisement