Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was it- mink, weasel??

Options
  • 28-06-2020 11:47am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Driving into town this morning down a rural-ish road. spotted movement in the verge and saw a black sleek creature dragging a rabbit down the verge and then across the road behind me.

at a guess it was about a foot or so long plus tail, black sleek with a high held head. my first thought was weasel or stoat but I've never seen a black one. could it have been a mink?
    Any ideas?
    location is Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If it was black, then it's mink. We don't have weasel here, and a stoat aint much bigger than a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Your description is spot on for a mink. Despite common trapping they are still about round here in north Mayo. If she has kits then they are starting to take meat from her at this time of year.

TT

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for your help. I didn't realise that there weren't any weasels in Ireland, fairly common where I'm from in the UK.
    it was an absolutely stunning animal, you could see why its coat would be so valued.
    Just hope they aren't too keen to travel closer, we have chickens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. I didn't realise that there weren't any weasels in Ireland, fairly common where I'm from in the UK.
    it was an absolutely stunning animal, you could see why its coat would be so valued.
    Just hope they aren't too keen to travel closer, we have chickens!

All mustelids love chicken.
    Keep your enclosure predator proof, and lock in at night. Prevention rather than cure, is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Eddie B wrote: »
    All mustelids love chicken.
    Keep your enclosure predator proof, and lock in at night. Prevention rather than cure, is the only way to go.

Have to agree, pointless trying to trap and relocate them, only solution is to have poultry completely secure.
    We had a pine marten kill 2 of our chickens but since making a secure enclosure he doesn't even bother going near it and now sticks to the compost heap for leftover fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

they're all locked in at night in a raised coop on 4 legs. wire mesh meld around entire garden, two terriers on guard throughout day. Its all I can do, touch wood not had any taken in two years of having them So fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

There's quite a few mink in West Limerick,, especially near Foynes.

Eddie B wrote: »
    If it was black, then it's mink. We don't have weasel here, and a stoat aint much bigger than a rat.

The Weasel in the UK is even smaller than a stoat.

Advertisement