Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much weight on mileage when buying?

• 09-07-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi

Starting to look at options for upgrading. Our preferred option is a 17/18 Sportage.
    There are some really nice options out there however the mileage on some of those is high enough....80/90k miles.

Would you rule these out straight away or maybe consider them based on good service history etc.

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi

Starting to look at options for upgrading. Our preferred option is a 17/18 Sportage.
    There are some really nice options out there however the mileage on some of those is high enough....80/90k miles.

Would you rule these out straight away or maybe consider them based on good service history etc.

Any opinions welcome.
    To be honest . Thats diesel mileage.
    Thats what you should expect from a 3.5 year old car.
    They are i
    Probably in better condition engine wise than a 4 year old car with 40k miles. Egr issues and dpf issues.
    5.5 years ago i bought a 5.5 year old A4 with 130k miles. Now its got 230k miles on it
    Bought cheaper cause of the mileage , now worth very little but has had very few issues outside of normal service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are they 80/90k miles or 80/90k km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

BullBauld wrote: »
    bazz26 wrote: »
    :confused:

EmptyTree wrote: »
    :confused:

Some people look at the mileage on the dashboard and assume it's miles rather than km. Irish cars have km dials since 2005. We don't know if it's an original Irish car or a UK car, hence the question is it actual miles or kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Miles as stated.

• Advertisement

Must be UK cars then which that sort of mileage would be normal for a commuter car.

Must be UK cars then which that sort of mileage would be normal for a commuter car.

Well one in particular I really like is Irish owned apparently with 82k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

Certain cars are known for handling higher mileage better than others. Skoda and Toyota would be two brands known for being capable of high mileage. Look at what taximen use.

Lots depends on how well minded the car was and also servicing intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If that's definitely miles then it's pretty high I think. You should be able to find similar cars with much lower mileage (kiloage?) handy enough from the same era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

9935452 wrote: »
    To be honest . Thats diesel mileage.
    Thats what you should expect from a 3.5 year old car.
    They are i
    Probably in better condition engine wise than a 4 year old car with 40k miles. Egr issues and dpf issues.
    5.5 years ago i bought a 5.5 year old A4 with 130k miles. Now its got 230k miles on it
    Bought cheaper cause of the mileage , now worth very little but has had very few issues outside of normal service

DPF issues are mainly caused by fooked fuel to air ratio, not driving habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

Should be no issues with a car serviced regularly but at higher mileage depending on the make and model, you may need to carry out expensive routine maintenance. Timing belts, transmission fluid change, replacing worn suspension parts etc. That being said once these are replaced you should be ok for another 100k miles.

This should be factored into the pricing of the cars you are looking at and your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The sportage and many other cars similar such as hyundai tucson are very good sellers and widely available on the used market. Don't know why you're stuck in high mileage ones, many don't.

Suspect you are looking at cheapest examples for a given year, nothing wrong with that, the higher mileage ones will always be cheaper but either up your budget or go back a year or 2 further and you'll find low mileage ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

Good to understand the type of miles; motorway, or back roads, or a bit of both. Obviously motorway miles will have put way less demand on the chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

WacoKid wrote: »
    Good to understand the type of miles; motorway, or back roads, or a bit of both. Obviously motorway miles will have put way less demand on the chassis.

Theres no way to prove where a car was driven and this "motorway miles" bull**** on ads is a total spoof in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with more than 15k miles per year on it if you want to have any sort of residual value in the future. The majority of this high mileage stuff ends up here because it sells dramatically cheaper at auction in the UK than average or low mileage alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

millington wrote: »
    Theres no way to prove where a car was driven and this "motorway miles" bull**** on ads is a total spoof in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with more than 15k miles per year on it if you want to have any sort of residual value in the future. The majority of this high mileage stuff ends up here because it sells dramatically cheaper at auction in the UK than average or low mileage alternatives.

Agree with you ad says 100k English motorway miles instead of just saying ex lease company car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

My last 3 cars I bought at 160 kkm at 5yrs, 130k km at 3 yes, and 100k km at 2 years.

All ended up with very big mileage with no major issues.

Service history and a good mechanic to check out are important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Looking at this car myself price is on the low side but high in mileage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/12-i40-new-nct/24818896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Milage is not always a good guide when buying a car.

A lot of short drives on cold engines is bad.

Long drives when the engine is hot is not as bad.

A neighour of mine who is mechinic bought a 05 polo for his daughter witha 3 cylider 1.2 petrol engine.

250,000km . Normal that engine does not do well on high miles.

He knew the owner did most of the miles between ennis and dublin 2-3 timea week.

The car was cheap and is driving well a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you buy newish high mileages car, you have to realise, that you will keep it for a while. 90k miles is about 150k km already, you driving it for a few years will add very big number to it. Even you did all services and looked after the car, unfortunately majority of people will stay away from it.

Another thing to check is service history. With that kind of millage, there will be some more expensive services done to the car, previous owner might have traded it in, just before those bills. Unfortunately not all high millage cars are treated properly.

Thanks for all your opinions folks ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have a great memory of my old car when the mileage went from all the 9’s on the dial over to zero mileage - I then proceded to put another 40,000 km on the clock so when I traded it in it looked as thou it had relatively low mileage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Depends on the car but not much if there is documented history of servicing and any other work that was carried out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I have a great memory of my old car when the mileage went from all the 9’s on the dial over to zero mileage - I then proceded to put another 40,000 km on the clock so when I traded it in it looked as thou it had relatively low mileage!

Did your cars odometer do that at 100,000 or 1,000,000?
    Both sound unlikely to be honest

Did your cars odometer do that at 100,000 or 1,000,000?
    Both sound unlikely to be honest

in the old days that could happen. max milage used to be 99,999
    high-mileage-AG71GN.jpg
    People would say that cars has gone around the clock.

Noah had one of those.

Noah had one of those.

Even older ones only went to 9,999 miles.
    Back in the dark ages when odometers only went to 99999 they certainly started again at 00000. I can remember that happening on vehicles belonging to people I knew. The car my father drove until 1954 had only four digits, so I saw it roll over from 9999 to 0000 several times (it was built in 1931). The newer (1948) car he bought in 1954 had an odometer with five digits, but the odometer did not work so we never saw it roll over.
    So I expect a car with a seven digit odometer would certainly roll over eventually. But if we assume it is counting kilometers, that would mean it had traveled 10,000,000 km. If it travels 500 km per day, every day of the year, which is a lot more driving than most cars do, it would take over 50 years for it to cover that distance. I don’t think many vehicles will ever cover that distance for us to find out whether it actually happens. https://www.quora.com/Does-a-car-odometer-eventually-tick-over-to-0-after-reaching-9999999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Belfast wrote: »
    Even older ones only went to 9,999 miles.

That was indicative of predicted life-span...

grogi wrote: »
    That was indicative of predicted life-span...
    People did not use cars for long jounneys at the time. People more often went long distances by train instead.
    When the first motorways opened there was a very high number of break downs.

Advertisement