Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a soap bar instead of shower gel?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I recently switched back to bar soap for hand washing for plastic waste reduction reasons. I use the lemongrass & cedarwood one from the Handmade Soap Company (they're Irish). This has a lovely zingy smell, not floral at all.

Lush also has a great range of soap and shampoo bars. Don't let the overpowering smell of the shop put you off, the individual products are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I recently switched back to bar soap for hand washing for plastic waste reduction reasons. I use the lemongrass & cedarwood one from the Handmade Soap Company (they're Irish). This has a lovely zingy smell, not floral at all.

Lush also has a great range of soap and shampoo bars. Don't let the overpowering smell of the shop put you off, the individual products are grand.

That lemongrass and cedarwood one is gorgeous! Addictive! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

+1 for soap. I use Dove. The older style ones like Imperial Leather or Palmolive just seem to remove all moisture from my skin but Dove works great and it doesn't have a strong scent so it doesn't overpower my after shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I like Pears bar soap - you can get it anywhere and it plays nicely with more masculine scents.

I've been trying to switch to solid products mostly for travelling so I have a soap from the Scottish Soap Company that i got in TK Maxx that comes in a little travel tin and it's great. My one is lemon but they always have a few of them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dmc17 wrote: »
    The Burren Perfumery do great quality natural products, including bars of soap. Bit more expensive, but worth it.

Some great links to Irish producers on this thread, much appreciated.

There'll be some original birthday and Xmas presents bought this year.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I use Dove bars for showers and instead of shaving foam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pjdarcy wrote: »
    +1 for soap. I use Dove. The older style ones like Imperial Leather or Palmolive just seem to remove all moisture from my skin but Dove works great and it doesn't have a strong scent so it doesn't overpower my after shave.

I had forgotten my soap one day so used the carex hand washer for my shower instead. Holy crap I was actually in pain it dried me out so much. Lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Already mentioned. And apparently its American, not Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

Some of the chemicals in shower gels aren't good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Dr Bronners do soap bars (also liquid) that you can use for washing everything from your hair to your car lol.

Kidding aside, I've used their bars for a few years now. They're over €6 per bar, but they last for ages, and smell lovely (I use the Rose one).

I started using bars to cut down on plastic waste too, and I'm loving the change. I see no reason to buy gels any more, except perhaps travel-sized ones for travel and sure I never do that, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

+1 for the soap as well. So much cheaper as well. Imperial leather soap all the way and a drop of shampoo for the hair. Cant go wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Went a short while ago back to soap bars. Nothing fancy, Imperial Leather. I'm sure if I started looking around there'd be nicer ones to buy, but its grand. It was her idea to give credit. Now I can't remember why we ever went to shower gels. They now seem a bit stupid. Soap bars are smaller and last longer and they are cheaper to buy. They produce a much nicer lather on the skin and you actually feel cleaner. And they only create a small fraction of a shower gel's foam in the water. Also come in a paper wrapper. Are shower gels a big con we all fell for?

Went a short while ago back to soap bars. Nothing fancy, Imperial Leather. I'm sure if I started looking around there'd be nicer ones to buy, but its grand. It was her idea to give credit. Now I can't remember why we ever went to shower gels. They now seem a bit stupid. Soap bars are smaller and last longer and they are cheaper to buy. They produce a much nicer lather on the skin and you actually feel cleaner. And they only create a small fraction of a shower gel's foam in the water. Also come in a paper wrapper. Are shower gels a big con we all fell for?

I think so, as well as fancy gillete razors with blades that cost a fortune.

I think so, as well as fancy gillete razors with blades that cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Lush have a shampoo bar for sale as well as soap bars. I bought one two days ago so have only used it once but it worked well. Good lather and my hair felt clean after it

For those that are already using bars of soap a practical question, how do you store them when travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lush have a shampoo bar for sale as well as soap bars. I bought one two days ago so have only used it once but it worked well. Good lather and my hair felt clean after it

For those that are already using bars of soap a practical question, how do you store them when travelling?

I just leave mine on the soap holder next to the sink as usual.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I just leave mine on the soap holder next to the sink as usual.

Lol me too. The soap doesn't like planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

https://www.amazon.com/slp/travel-soap-container/4cpmmsttej82888

Soap is ‘in’ now so lots of options to purchase out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I've been using soap since I saw this thread.
    Not sure if it's a permanent switch yet.

So far just using a bar of soap I found in the bathroom, possibly from l'occitane. Gonna try buy something I like soon for better testing.
    Have always felt like shower get is a bit crap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Great for the reduction of single use plastic lads!

I started on the Aleppo soap about 20 years ago. It’s ancient, one of the first soaps every used. And it’s good for everything. Gentle enough for babies, good for shaving, shampooing and washing.
    Got some of the Aleppo soap off Amazon* earlier in the week; so far, so good. No itchiness of note.

*I had rang the local health food shop about Aleppo soap and the hadn't a clue what I was on about, so grabbed a few bars from Amazon. Cost over £7 a bar, but I won't mind if it works out with my crap skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Soap for the nether regions and between the toe toes- gel for the rest

Advertisement