Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Keedowah wrote: »
    If you have hot water that is heated from the boiler that is considered a zone.... I'm pretty sure!

Aren't water+heat just dual inputs to the same zone? ie they aren't considered "multizone" as such?

When I look online at my dashboard both my water and heat are listed as 'zone 2'... where's my 'zone 1'? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Finally got the hive heating connected yesterday evening and thankfully didn't require any replumbing work, adding zone valves etc. Electrician added a small din rail box and a couple of relays, replaced flash timer with receiver and away we went. Must have a closer look this evening to see how exactly it was wired so I can undertsand exactly how it was done.

Will hopefully now have a bit more control over the heating side of things now.

Have a couple of hive bulbs as well although I believe these cause an issue with the heating side of things. Hive are aware of the issue so hopefully a firmware upgrade will be imminent.

Just an update after use for the last few days.

Did indeed have an issue with the bulbs and the heating whereby if I set the hot water to schedule and save it it would revert to off and wouldn't come on at the scheduled time although the heating side would run fine.

I shot off an email to Hive support and got an update the following evening. In the meantime I unpaired everything and re-connected starting with the receiver, thermostat, plug, sensor and bulbs last as I seen this mentioned as helping.

In the response from Hive they say that they applied an update to the firmware of the bulbs to rectify the situation and that they are working on releasing a permanent firmware upgrade. Apparently the issue is if the bulbs are turned off then they appear offline which the thermostat mimics.

Another issue I am having, although not Hive related, is if I just set the water to heat it trips the boiler high limit stat. Checking the hot water circulating pump it would appear it needs replaced, all the fittings are looking fairly corroded so could have been leaking and the flow could be restricted. Will remove the main body of the pump and inspect it to see how it looks, might be a good idea to replace the two pumps for better models anyway and a job now that the weather is getting a bit milder and we can do without the heat!!!

Might not sound it but all in all happy with the system and it has acheived what we set out to do. No doubt Hive could iron out a few issues and the pump was going to need replacing regardless and anyway it is a beautiful day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Hi all,

We're interested in getting Hive and I just wanted to ask a couple of potentially daft questions before we move on it.

Our setup is as follows:

-Gas boiler in the kitchen, beneath which is a standard physical timer (where you have on, off and timer and a clock where you depress little notches to set what time the heating comes on etc.)
    -A thermostat on the wall in the hall, which we have never used.
    -Two zone valves in the hot press which have been disconnected (from before we bought the place) but are for upstairs and downstairs. The only room being used upstairs at the moment is my office, which is why we haven't concerned ourselves with the zones etc.
    -Also in the hot press, a hot water tank and a standard 'immersion' switch with on/off & bath/sink.

Am I right in saving we need 3 zones? Or is the hot water aspect dealt with in the downstairs zone? Our boiler certainly isn't new, so if we decided to upgrade that in a year or two, after having Hive installed, would it just be a 'plug and play' install, or would we have to pay for another Hive install of sorts at that stage?

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

brophs wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're interested in getting Hive and I just wanted to ask a couple of potentially daft questions before we move on it.

Our setup is as follows:

-Gas boiler in the kitchen, beneath which is a standard physical timer (where you have on, off and timer and a clock where you depress little notches to set what time the heating comes on etc.) No problem with this, they'll just replace it with the hub. Its a lot cleaner, smaller than what you currently have and you won't need to even look at it.
    -A thermostat on the wall in the hall, which we have never used. Might be replaced by the wireless thermostat (the silvery box with the knob in the middle). The installer should be able to let you know.
    -Two zone valves in the hot press which have been disconnected (from before we bought the place) but are for upstairs and downstairs. The only room being used upstairs at the moment is my office, which is why we haven't concerned ourselves with the zones etc. Yes, these (I think) would be your two zones.
    -Also in the hot press, a hot water tank and a standard 'immersion' switch with on/off & bath/sink. Standard enough set-up.

Am I right in saving we need 3 zones? Or is the hot water aspect dealt with in the downstairs zone? Our boiler certainly isn't new, so if we decided to upgrade that in a year or two, after having Hive installed, would it just be a 'plug and play' install, or would we have to pay for another Hive install of sorts at that stage?

Thanks a mil.

The imminent replacement of your boiler shouldn't be an issue. The installer (especially if he's from BGE) should be able to sync the Hive to it easily enough I'd say. Ask the guy / gal who's setting up the Hive for you.

I got my Hive a few weeks ago and its brilliant. We only have one zone though which is just the way the house was set up so there's nothing we can do unless we replace the water tank in the hot press, which is something for the future if / when we extend. I've no idea yet whether we have saved any money but given that the heating is only on for a fraction of the time it was left on before, I'd say we must have done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Help, I have the hive system in all going great except for one issue. The lights, Both the sitting room and bedroom both shut off at 21.41 every night. The kitchen is fine. Has anyone come across this??

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

That sounds like a bug - have you posted a support call with them?

It seems it is an ongoing issues when you introduce bulbs to the equation.

When I had ours initially set up it worked fine then after a week or so the receiver and themostat looked as if the weren't connected and couldn't be controlled by the app or online, had to be done using the thermostat.

I did contact support and they said they updated the firmware on the bulbs which didn't seem to cure the problem.

I ended up disconnecting and factory resetting all. Then I started with adding the heat which required putting it into stand alone mode before I could get it all back online. I then added the sensor, plug and bulbs until all was back up a running. Had been running fine for the last couple of weeks although I noticed, last night, that one of the bulbs could not be set to schedule and would just throw up an error message.

To me it seems that the cool to warm white bulbs causes the issue as the simple dimmable one appears fine.

Hive support informed me that they are aware of the issue and a new firmware is in final testing and should be pushed out soon.

I do like the products and, when working, does exactly what I wanted it to do so I am hoping this is sorted soon.

I do notice that they only sell the dimmable bulb on the Irish site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

These lights will be the death of me.

Contacted support, very helpful upgraded firmware went through the system.
    There was still an issue. through trial and error it seemed to be my Sonos system interfering with the lights.
    On Hives advice they said that the Sonos works on Zigbee channel 11 and this is interfering with the the hive system.
    Sonos have yet to reply.

Will keep you posted if i get them to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Have a bloke from Bord Gais coming to install a Hive on Friday.

Anything you wish you'd done or said when yours was installed?

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Have a bloke from Bord Gais coming to install a Hive on Friday.

Anything you wish you'd done or said when yours was installed?

Had mine installed independently so wasn't a straight forward install due to our heating setup.

Should be fairly easy to set up and once all connected it should be straight forward. As the thermostat is wireless you might want to play around with location of this if you decide to permanently mount it.

If you decide to add to the system down the line then be careful of hive light bulbs as these can be problematic.

So I got the Hive heating installed this morning & all seemed grand but now that the guy has left I've discovered something odd.

I can turn on/off the hot water using the app fine but I can't turn it on/off using the button on the device next to the boiler.

Not an issue with the heating button.

Any ideas?

Edit: - seems to be working now but I didn't change anything (I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I can turn on/off the hot water using the app fine but I can't turn it on/off using the button on the device next to the boiler.

Did you get a thermostat (the silver device)?

Did you get a thermostat (the silver device)?

My one is white
    Must be the free ones that Bord Gais are doing

Hive components.png

Did you receive all 3 of these?

Hive components.png

Did you receive all 3 of these?

Yeap got all three.
    It's a white thermostat though so suspect BG are doing the old version on the free deal.

Should have looked into it more.
    What am I missing not having Hive 2 apart from the looks?

https://www.stuff.tv/british-gas/hive-active-heating-2/review

This article compares the 2 versions, The only thing I use on my thermostats are the boost buttons so I would personally prefer the second version just for that. For every other function I use my phone or automations through Samsung Smartthings.
    The aesthetics of the Hive 2 thermostat are very easy on the eye and has impressed quite a few of my non-techie friends and family:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

Yeap got all three.
    It's a white thermostat though so suspect BG are doing the old version on the free deal.

Should have looked into it more.
    What am I missing not having Hive 2 apart from the looks?

This sounds like false advertising to me. If you look at the Bord Gais website, there's even a picture of the version 2 thermostat that links to the free offer. I'm getting it installed from Bord Gais tomorrow and I'll let you know how that goes. I'll be stressing that I'd like the latest version as nowhere does it imply in the T&C's that it's the older model.

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    This sounds like false advertising to me. If you look at the Bord Gais website, there's even a picture of the version 2 thermostat that links to the free offer. I'm getting it installed from Bord Gais tomorrow and I'll let you know how that goes. I'll be stressing that I'd like the latest version as nowhere does it imply in the T&C's that it's the older model.

My thoughts exactly on the false advertising.
    Emailed them yesterday so hopefully get a response back tomorrow or Wednesday.

A word of warning to anyone signing up for the free HIVE offer with Bord Gais...

As above they installed the old version in my house (I know - I should have paid more attention)
    Quiggs1000 above PM'd me to say they tried the same on him but having seen my post above he requested they install the newer model.

It's all getting a bit heated (no pun intended) now in my conversations with Bord Gais as they try to fob me off with the old version.
    I'm now threatening them with the Advertising Standards Authority & the Consumer Association as all their advertising has the new model and nowhere does it say "the version shown may not be the one installed".

TL/DR - I suspect they're trying to install the old versions unless someone twigs

Update: - they're coming to replace it on Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Any one knows if in a 2 zones plus HW. The Hive from BG is a runner (without breaking the bank)?
    I've already signed up to BG and Flogas without any smart heating offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Does anyone know if the Hive multiroom would satisfy the requirements of the SEAI grant as the thermostats in the heating zones required?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Does anyone know if the Hive multiroom would satisfy the requirements of the SEAI grant as the thermostats in the heating zones required?

I got a heating grant a while back and inspected with the nest installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

I got a heating grant a while back and inspected with the nest installed.

Thanks wexfordman2. That's great.

I emailed them myself and they said:

"With regards to availing of the grant towards a boiler upgrade with heating controls, as long as you meet the minimum requirements of the scheme you may avail of the grant. The heating controls themselves do not need to be any specific type or make but must meet the following:
    Two zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time / temperature),
    Time / temperature control of electric immersion,
    1 additional zone OR installation of sufficient Thermostatic Radiator Valves."

So that should be fine with the Hive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Two zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time / temperature),
    Time / temperature control of electric immersion,

Those sound like seriously idiotic requirements given that modern system boilers don't have electric immersion or a separate hot water zone and yet are the most efficient systems around!

Looks like hive are adding to the ecosystem with a new camera due at the end of the month followed by a leak detector and new hub with audio sensor.

After some initial teething problems with bulbs ours has been hassle free the last few months.

For those also interested the Home Assistant integration has been updated here. Heating, hot water, lights and plugs are now showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The glaring hole in their line up are automatic TRV's. Doesn't look like they are committed to them though.

hopefully something they look at in the future and at least new products are being added which is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Roen wrote: »
    The glaring hole in their line up are automatic TRV's. Doesn't look like they are committed to them though.

The hub takes care of that though, doesn't it? Letting you set the temperature you want (albeit not down to individual radiator level).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Anatom wrote: »
    The hub takes care of that though, doesn't it? Letting you set the temperature you want (albeit not down to individual radiator level).

That's the usefulness of the automatic TRVs, if I want to heat my front room or my office or my garage but not the rest of the house (single zone setup) I don't want to have to traipse around the house turning off individual rads when I could do it from my phone.

That said, the cost of similar auto TRVs is a bit rich for me at the moment so even if Hive bring them out I doubt I'd be investing.

Advertisement