Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla Roof Tiles + Powerwall

Options
  • 04-09-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a setup like this yet ? I have a pretty substantial south-facing rook that I was thinking would be suitable for PV panels. Hard to convince the missus that having loads of PV panels at the front of the house is a good idea, so was thinking about the Tesla roof tiles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tesla roof tiles are not a commercial product yet. Still in design/test stage. Could be years before you can buy/install that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Their website says different - https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/solarroof

It says reserve, not buy!

That’s Tesla marketing! ;)

Just to reinforce that... you could reserve a Tesla Model 3 three years ago for €1k. None delivered to Ireland yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Walmart Inc.’s lawsuit against Tesla Inc. over fires at more than a half-dozen stores threatens to undermine the automaker’s latest bid to reboot its struggling solar unit.

In the complaint Tuesday, the retailer said it had leased or licensed roof space at more than 240 stores to Tesla’s energy unit, formerly known as SolarCity, to install and operate solar systems. As of November, fires had broken out atop at least seven of the stores, Walmart said, prompting all of the solar systems to be disconnected.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-lawsuit-threatens-undermine-tesla-032730090.html

cnocbui wrote: »

That’s a completely different product but not holding his breath is good advice anyway.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    It says reserve, not buy!

That’s Tesla marketing! ;)

Yeah, possibly. I did a little bit of checking and apparently they are prohibitively expensive.
    I also have a decent about of flat roof space that might be suitable for mounted PV panels (see attached). That removes (afaik) the need for PP for installation and it means no visibility from the street,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

https://rgsenergy.com/ A similar product which launched late last year but not in IRL yet afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

still needs planning if you go over 12m2

KCross wrote: »
    That’s a completely different product but not holding his breath is good advice anyway.

The product may be different but it's made by the same unit, which is affected as a whole, as per that article.

I doubt planning permission is really an issue as that is for panels mounted on a roof, not PV built into slates and tiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Can no longer be enforced. Plaster your roof with solar panels without planning permission and the council won't touch you.

Linky

unkel wrote: »
    Can no longer be enforced. Plaster your roof with solar panels without planning permission and the council won't touch you.

Linky

Would that work as just a legal precedent ? It's not legally binding for everyone surely

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If she can win with the road facing front of her roof covered with 21 panels, then I think the rest of us are safe too :D

No way they the council will want to get similar negative publicity again. This case started before the general public was aware of climate change. That has changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know we're jumping off topic here with the Limerick case, but from my understanding is she applied for retention, initially got refused and got it through ABP at the board's decision. That doesn't stop a Council from pursuing people who exceed the exempt development regs - it just means that if they do pursue people, it'll force them to go for retention, and then it is unlikely it'll be refused based on the Limerick decision.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    I know we're jumping off topic here with the Limerick case, but from my understanding is she applied for retention, initially got refused and got it through ABP at the board's decision. That doesn't stop a Council from pursuing people who exceed the exempt development regs - it just means that if they do pursue people, it'll force them to go for retention, and then it is unlikely it'll be refused based on the Limerick decision.

but in reality council planning sections will be aware of this case and won't bother with enforcement (might take another case or two to get the message across).

Neo-Tesla's solar freakin' roads on a rooftop!
    Never gonna take off. Not viable tech.
    Press releases are publicity stunts.

Meanwhile Solacity installs are setting fire and generating lawsuits.

Advertisement