Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student accommodation gouging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭zell12

..Only a right bad b*stard would act like that, I’d wish the worst luck on a person even suggesting it. The LL tax affairs are none of your concern.
    Surely when conducting a business transaction, you want to see a valid tax clearance certificate. Landlords want all sorts of documentation from tenants. The landlord's tax status can be a tenant's concern ie. a landlord living abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

zell12 wrote: »
    Surely when conducting a business transaction, you want to see a valid tax clearance certificate.

Of course. Excellent point. I wanted a breakfast roll in centra earlier and they wouldn't sell it without seeing my valid tax clearance certificate. When they finally produced it I decided not to go ahead with the transaction as they refused to show me their valid tax clearance certificate.
    The landlord's tax status can be a tenant's concern ie. a landlord living abroad
    Yea, and the landlord in this case is living in the attic.

Surely when conducting a business transaction, you want to see a valid tax clearance certificate. Landlords want all sorts of documentation from tenants. The landlord's tax status can be a tenant's concern ie. a landlord living abroad

I have always paid cash to LLs bar one and have been very happy to do so if they are keeping a bit extra for themselves out of sight of revenue then fair play to them but it’s none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

antix80 wrote: »
    Of course. Excellent point. I wanted a breakfast roll in centra earlier and they wouldn't sell it without seeing my valid tax clearance certificate. When they finally produced it I decided not to go ahead with the transaction as they refused to show me their valid tax clearance certificate.

Yea, and the landlord in this case is living in the attic.
    Bet every cent of VAT owed on that purchase was paid though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Alternatives : if no other accommodation available then pay cash and report that landlord to revenue commissioners for income or more precisely hidden income not declared cos all cash.

Comments like this make the poster sound like a totally un-educated numpty with regards to taxation law.

Just because a person receives cash, doesn't mean it's not declared. (although i'm sure some of it goes missing)

Also, tax on rental income is paid in arrears. So, you pay cash for say, a month. You then report this person to the Revenue. They'll probably laugh down the phone at you (OK, they won't) as their tax liability is not due until next year. Incase you can't comprehend this, let me give you an example: You pay me rent in 2019, I don't declare it [up to] November 2020.

Landlord's are quite high on the Revenue Radar and tbh, i'd be surprised if a landlord (whether it be cash or not) declares [most] of their income.

Boards.ie amazes me at times :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The LL tax affairs are none of your concern.

Sure they are, any fellow citizens that are dodging taxes results in a heavier burden of taxes for others.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Comments like this make the poster sound like a totally un-educated numpty with regards to taxation law.

Just because a person receives cash, doesn't mean it's not declared. (although i'm sure some of it goes missing)

Also, tax on rental income is paid in arrears. So, you pay cash for say, a month. You then report this person to the Revenue. They'll probably laugh down the phone at you (OK, they won't) as their tax liability is not due until next year. Incase you can't comprehend this, let me give you an example: You pay me rent in 2019, I don't declare it [up to] November 2020.

Landlord's are quite high on the Revenue Radar and tbh, i'd be surprised if a landlord (whether it be cash or not) declares [most] of their income.

Boards.ie amazes me at times :pac:

Not sure what your point is here beyond landlords have 11 months to declare income. You even agree with the poster your calling an "uneducated numpty" that the landlord is probably not declaring everything. And why you'd expect someone that isn't a landlord to know the find details of tax law related to being a landlord is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Only 8 landlords in Galway City have applied for the permit to rent short term for 90+ days. Unfortunately, the Galway City council have said they don't have the resources to enforce the laws. There's a massive business opportunity there for someone to go in and help with enforcement. Take 90% of the fine and give the other 10% to the Council.

If anyone is concerned about practices of landlords and are a student speak to the Student's Union and RTB. The RTB can also launch pro-active investigations based on tenant reports.

Dodging paying tax on the car, taking cash and only accounting for a portion of it or working nixers for cash and not declaring is tax evasion. It puts more burden on others. Funny enough, a lot of the people who say it's not a problem for a landlord will spew venom if they suspect a foreigner isn't paying in. Hopefully the auld nod and a wink to crime dies off with the Boomers.

JohnCleary wrote: »

...... that pretty much nullifies everything else you said. Everyone knows why a landlord wants cash in hand. My current landlord offered money off the rent for cash. I was renting an office in the city, the owner offered a discount if paying cash. It's not because it's convenient, it's because they will make more over the year from under declaring. It's tax evasion. There are other avenues to explore legally that don't involve the revenue directly. Though, if you document the payments yourself, track it and give it to them and do half the work for them. I'd bet they'd show some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Only 8 landlords in Galway City have applied for the permit to rent short term for 90+ days. Unfortunately, the Galway City council have said they don't have the resources to enforce the laws. There's a massive business opportunity there for someone to go in and help with enforcement. Take 90% of the fine and give the other 10% to the Council.
    Would Galway City Council agree to this?

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    ...... that pretty much nullifies everything else you said. Everyone knows why a landlord wants cash in hand. My current landlord offered money off the rent for cash. I was renting an office in the city, the owner offered a discount if paying cash. It's not because it's convenient, it's because they will make more over the year from under declaring. It's tax evasion. There are other avenues to explore legally that don't involve the revenue directly. Though, if you document the payments yourself, track it and give it to them and do half the work for them. I'd bet they'd show some interest.

Only a fool wouldn't keep a bit for themselves if they can.

I have mostly paid my rent in cash, I always ask for cash prices from builders, tradesmen etc. I am very happy to do things this way and you will find the vast majority will agree with me. We are robbed with tax in this country so people will of course keep what they reasonably can out of the tax net.
    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Sure they are, any fellow citizens that are dodging taxes results in a heavier burden of taxes for others.

No it doesn't. I read this statement on here every now and then on boards and its nonsense. I spent years doing 3 months on 3 months off with road tax when you could declare the car off the road after the fact. The cost of road tax is the same on the size engine now as it was 15 years ago. Me paying it or not paying makes no differnece to the rate, same for all taxes, people paying or not has zero impact on rates.

Anima wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/betaburns/status/1166065984345710597

Saw this and thought it sounded pretty extreme. Is that relatively common? That's more in rent than most working professionals I know. I mean you can rent a 2 bedroom apartment in town for 1200-1400 so why not just pair with someone at that stage. Or even stay in a hostel.

Forking out 700e for only midweek and having to move stuff out at the weekend seems almost untrue.

A hotel is only 300.00 for five nights, why not go to Ardilaun?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Saying €700 a month for digs is acceptable is hilarious, that's not correct at all. Id recommend actually look at what's available, as digs are often cheaper than self catering.

Anyone who'd even consider paying €700 for that really needs to have a harder look. There's more available for cheaper, and digs are the accomodation type that has the most availabilty for students.

I have mostly paid my rent in cash, I always ask for cash prices from builders, tradesmen etc. I am very happy to do things this way and you will find the vast majority will agree with me. We are robbed with tax in this country so people will of course keep what they reasonably can out of the tax net.

No it doesn't. I read this statement on here every now and then on boards and its nonsense. I spent years doing 3 months on 3 months off with road tax when you could declare the car off the road after the fact. The cost of road tax is the same on the size engine now as it was 15 years ago. Me paying it or not paying makes no differnece to the rate, same for all taxes, people paying or not has zero impact on rates.
    Doesn't that make you a criminal? Just one that hasn't been caught.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Doesn't that make you a criminal? Just one that hasn't been caught.

Many would say those setting our tax levels are the criminals!

Anyway the days of 3 months on/off are gone unfortunately due to the new way of declaring the car off the road in advance so for a paye worker like myself that’s about the only way for saving a bit of tax gone (aside from paying people in cash and that ain’t a crime, it’s up to them to declare it).

Many would say those setting our tax levels are the criminals!

Anyway the days of 3 months on/off are gone unfortunately due to the new way of declaring the car off the road in advance so for a paye worker like myself that’s about the only bit of a way for saving a bit of tax gone (aside from paying people in cash and that ain’t a crime, it’s up to them to declare it).
    Don't think we get to personally decide what does and does not constitute a crime.

We live in a Welfare state. If you went to college (particularly before the bust or just after it you benefit from those taxes through heavily subsidized tuition prices.) If you have kids or will have kids in future, the free GP visits are paid for through taxes. Your kids will also get 2 years of free pre-school and now free dental in their teens. Our water is still being paid for through general taxation. We live in a city in which the largest employer is the state. If you have family who work for the council, the Gardai, as a lecturer, a teacher or a general civil servant job etc. You benefited from those taxes.

That's just listing some that would clearly benefit you and the majority of people in Ireland.

Maybe you think taxes should be lowered now, after you have lived a life benefiting from them. That's your prerogative but if you or anyone else takes cash for payment and don't declare it, you are a criminal. No better than a welfare cheat. No better than a wealthy person who illegally avoids taxes. No better than a pick pocket.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Saying €700 a month for digs is acceptable is hilarious, that's not correct at all. Id recommend actually look at what's available, as digs are often cheaper than self catering.

Anyone who'd even consider paying €700 for that really needs to have a harder look. There's more available for cheaper, and digs are the accomodation type that has the most availabilty for students.

700 a month is the normal price for digs

For that you get

Breakfast and dinner
    No bills, free wifi/electricity etc
    Fresh laundry weekly
    Only pay for the time you stay (don't pay during holidays / weekends)

Digs have ALWAYS cost more than self-catering for those reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Wow. Surely you can't be that dim, hopefully you're just trolling.

It costs a certain amount to run the country and we take in so much in taxes to pay for that. When it comes around to working out the budget, if the taxes don't cover the costs we need to increase the taxes to cover the costs (and/or reduce costs and limit spending).

Just because motor tax (road tax doesn't exist here, stop paying it) hasn't increased when you skipped your payments doesn't mean that other taxes haven't increased. The rest of us have had to pay more to pick up the slack due to your me-fein attitude.

For that you get

Breakfast and dinner
    Fresh laundry weekly

I only had one friend in digs during college. The landlord/owner occupied decided after the first week she couldn't be arsed making breakfast anymore. She also didn't provide WiFi as it wasn't a requirement and had her home heating oil and electricity subsidized. Worst of all she had a small little Yorkshire Terrier that hadn't been groomed in years. F*ckin' thing stank.

At least she wasn't renting the room out over the weekend though. As bad as it was for the poor lad staying there at least he didn't have to bring all his college equipment back up to Achill every weekend :pac:

• Advertisement

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Wow. Surely you can't be that dim, hopefully you're just trolling.

It costs a certain amount to run the country and we take in so much in taxes to pay for that. When it comes around to working out the budget, if the taxes don't cover the costs we need to increase the taxes to cover the costs (and/or reduce costs and limit spending).

Just because motor tax (road tax doesn't exist here, stop paying it) hasn't increased when you skipped your payments doesn't mean that other taxes haven't increased. The rest of us have had to pay more to pick up the slack due to your me-fein attitude.

Yep and then the people who are honest and pay the proper tax will end up having to pay more tax to make up the loss and difference.

For that you get

Breakfast and dinner
    Fresh laundry weekly

Just looking now to see what's available for Mon-Fri

*Double room digs in Oranmore €100 weekly
    *Single room digs €550 monthly
    *Single room digs 120 weekly
    *Single room digs 110 weekly

And so forth.

€700 is not normal whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

And so forth.

Yeah, that post is nonsense. I stayed in different digs close to NUIG when I was a student, in areas like Upper Newcastle, Lower Canal Road, and Dyke Road. Average rent per week was between €100-130.

And so forth.

For close to the college, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Again, no, it isn't. Not so long ago I lived in digs two minutes walk from the Wards Shop entrance of NUIG for E120 a week. €700 is crazy.

Yeah, that post is nonsense. I stayed in different digs close to NUIG when I was a student, in areas like Upper Newcastle, Lower Canal Road, and Dyke Road. Average rent per week was between €100-130.

How long ago was that? Rent prices for all types of rental have increased significantly in the last few years.

Again, no, it isn't. Not so long ago I lived in digs two minutes walk from the Wards Shop entrance of NUIG for E120 a week. €700 is crazy.

Sigh, in your experience.

Sure 700 is high, but not unusual.

In the same way some rent is high and some lower, so the same holds true for digs

Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sigh, in your experience.

Sure 700 is high, but not unusual.

In the same way some rent is high and some lower, so the same holds true for digs

Ok?
    Its quite unusual though. I lived in digs essentially for a semester of my first year and was paying 100 a week and any that i knew who were living in digs were certainly not paying 75 more a week than me.

No, it's not, find a few examples if your so insistent.

The whole reason this case stood out is because it was abnormally expensive for such accomodation. If it's normal as you say, it defies logic that this is making some news.

• Advertisement

From the NUIG site, 660 pm, digs, 5 days a week

Are we done now?

489987.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement