Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenge of the clothes moths: Wool Insulation

Options
  • 20-08-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite a RE topic but interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/19/revenge-of-the-clothes-moths-as-numbers-boom-can-they-be-stopped

Wool insulation is great environmentally, but if you stick wool up in your attic you’re going to get moths in it. Even worse, I know one house where they blew wool in cavity walls. They can’t get it out and they’ve got moths – they’re going to have to live with moths the whole time they live in that house.”

The previous owners of Emma Harrison’s house warned her there could be a moth problem when she moved in five years ago. She cleaned the house from top to bottom and put insecticides down. It didn’t work. She discovered her clothes were being ruined, including a treasured (and expensive) coat. Carpets were devoured and had to be pulled up. She has tried hanging up bags of herbs and cedarwood, but nothing has worked.

Of course the EU did away with the " why do moths fly with their legs apart ? " joke
    In 2008, the EU banned the use of naphthalene, a toxic, flammable chemical long used in mothballs.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement