Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I don't understand PV!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

niallers1 wrote: »
    Hi Freddy, the only thing you have right in that entire post was the bit where you said you've got this totally wrong.
    You've made a lot of false assumptions about me.

I sensed from your first question that you didn't believe.

1. I've never said I was on night rate . I think you are confusing me with someone else.
    2. Yes. Form N6 sent to E.S.B. Without this you will not receive your grant from S.E.A.I.
    In fact, my installation was also examined by an SEAI Inspector as I was one of the first to claim the new solar PV grant.
    3. The meter in the photo cannot run backwards. If you look again at the photo. You will see a symbol under the disc that shows this.
    4. That was an excellent week of solar. Readings for the month overall was closer to 2kwh per day. In March that's still very good.
    5. I think your owe me an apology

I was confusing you with Wexfordman - sorry. Not seen old meters for a long time.

Of course I did say I may have it wrong as charging a 5kWh battery and running the house on 2kWh a day is remarkable? My usage is around 3-400w as background loads with 2 people so that is 8kWh still below average but add in oven usage and washer, well pump, microwave, toaster, hoover etc. the loads increase in daytime and in winter this is often after the solar has finished. If you can use the loads while you are at home then solar is maxed but it is not sunny every day. If you are just delaying starting the washer etc. then you can't guarantee the solar is covering the loads. Your 5kWh battery supports your background loads so your solar supports recharging the batteries and your house loads every day - is that what you are finding? Winter time must have been a bit different. In summer you should have loads of surplus so with a small battery what will happen to the rest.

If you can run the house on such little input then you are doing really well I envy you. I suspect you don't have a fridge freezer and chest freezer running 24/7 as I do.

I assume these are lithium cells you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

freddyuk wrote: »
    I was confusing you with Wexfordman - sorry. Not seen old meters for a long time.

Of course I did say I may have it wrong as charging a 5kWh battery and running the house on 2kWh a day is remarkable? My usage is around 3-400w as background loads with 2 people so that is 8kWh still below average but add in oven usage and washer, well pump, microwave, toaster, hoover etc. the loads increase in daytime and in winter this is often after the solar has finished. If you can use the loads while you are at home then solar is maxed but it is not sunny every day. If you are just delaying starting the washer etc. then you can't guarantee the solar is covering the loads. Your 5kWh battery supports your background loads so your solar supports recharging the batteries and your house loads every day - is that what you are finding? Winter time must have been a bit different. In summer you should have loads of surplus so with a small battery what will happen to the rest.

If you can run the house on such little input then you are doing really well I envy you. I suspect you don't have a fridge freezer and chest freezer running 24/7 as I do.

9k, I am really confused, who are those qu ewes stone addressed to ? Are you saying there is an issue with my esb meter as well ? Because there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

freddyuk wrote: »
    Winter time must have been a bit different. In summer you should have loads of surplus so with a small battery what will happen to the rest.

I suspect you don't have a fridge freezer and chest freezer running 24/7 as I do.

1.In winter time from September 15 (install day) to March 18th (6 months) I used 1064 kwh and I expect I'll use on average 2kwh per day or less for the other 6 months bringing me to about 1400kwh in total for 12 months. I'll come back once I have a full 12 months

2.I have a standard fridge freezer- I live in a place with plenty of shops nearby so don't need to store much food.

3.The batteries are lithium . I have 2 * 2.4kwh pylontech batteries. In winter you rarely get a full charge but since March they fill up almost every day.

I reckon I can get the winter usage down a bit more as I'm (and more importantly mrs Niallers1) is better now at making the most of sunnier days and staggering the use of appliances.

My focus now is turning to my high water heating costs. This is where a diverter I think will help as I will have surplus most days for 6 months March 15 to September 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

3. The meter in the photo cannot run backwards. If you look again at the photo. You will see a symbol under the disc that shows this.

Lots of old analog meters will spin backwards, Iskra included. They're not supposed to, but that doesn't mean they won't. They're very simple devices using magnets.

I would verify when you're getting a surplus from your PV that yours isn't.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Lots of old analog meters will spin backwards, Iskra included. They're not supposed to, but that doesn't mean they won't. They're very simple devices using magnets.

I would verify when you're getting a surplus from your PV that yours isn't.

Such doubters here this week.

If you look at the photo again. You will see the symbol under the disc. It's a symbol to show the meter cannot run backwards.

I've stood there watching it believe me, it can move about a cm back before it gets stopped. It only spins fully one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Such doubters here this week.

If you look at the photo again. You will see the symbol under the disc. It's a symbol to show the meter cannot run backwards.

I've stood there watching it believe me, it can move about a cm back before it gets stopped. It only spins fully one way.

I'll take your word for it. But a symbol indicating the way the wheel is supposed to turn doesn't mean anything, the same as a one-way traffic sign doesn't stop people from driving the wrong way.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I'll take your word for it. But a symbol indicating the way the wheel is supposed to turn doesn't mean anything, the same as a one-way traffic sign doesn't stop people from driving the wrong way.

Ok, I think you are deliberately misreading my comment now.
    I didn't say the symbol indicates the way the wheel is supposed to turn. I said the symbol shows that the disc cannot spin backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ok, I think you are deliberately misreading my comment now.
    I didn't say the symbol indicates the way the wheel is supposed to turn. I said the symbol shows that the disc cannot spin backwards.

As far as I know, the esb stopped supplying meters that could spin backwards about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I have an iBoost+ wired by an electrician, it takes 45 minutes to get to hot water for a shower using the boost button, with the old system 15 minutes got it hot, is it possible to wire these incorrectly so that the bath element is getting priority rather than the sink element of the immersion...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I have a video made couple of years ago, on a analogue meter, spinning back when my PVs were supplying the grid.
    I also have, the fcukign bill for 3 months whish shows that I paid for electricity in and out in hundreds of euros during summer time... this is for non believers.

Today...well, i have 2 sealed ESB digital meters and 3 sensors based systems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement