Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They do not allow users to delete their posting history. Posts containing political opinions, details on sex, gender age, religious beliefs etc. All defined as sensitive personal information under GDPR.

They do delete identity posts & always have done. All you have to do is show them the posts. If the post does not identify you & your IP address & email is deleted they meet the requirements.

I understand people being worried. There many extreme views that people wouldn't want the world to know came from them. For example there are many racist posts on boards.ie. Some actually have racist user names

I know it's more a topic of conversation but I do find it amazing that people might have been happy to identify themselves in their own posts for years knowing that there was no law protecting them and now get hot under the collar.

Again boards.ie have always been happy to delete posts or whole threads if needed to protect posters identity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness to boards.ie I'm only getting emails from companies I've dealt with about their plans this week. I have a WordPress online store & they only released a plug in Friday that allows me to fulfil the directive.

How long were they working on that plugin though? Boards could be in trouble if the lawyers come back and point out some fundamental flaws in how they operate. They are then left with 4 days to turn it around and get the fix in place. Obviously that's a worst case scenario but it's a huge risk all the same

But it is. Its always been part of their policy to protect users identity.

Have you ever reported a post that identifies you & it hasn't been deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

But it is. Its always been part of their policy to protect users identity.

Have you ever reported a post that identifies you & it hasn't been deleted?

The TOU says:

boards.ie does not delete all posts from any member on request, so if you have publically posted identifying information about yourself, then it will remain on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The TOU says:

boards.ie does not delete all posts from any member on request, so if you have publically posted identifying information about yourself, then it will remain on the site.

Is that part quote, part editorialising by you.

Mods & admin have already posted on this thread that they remove these posts. I've reported some people's posts over the years and within minutes they would have been modified with the identifying information removed. This is something that they have always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The TOU says:

"All posts" is the key phrase here.

If someone has thousands of posts, we can't delete them all.
    We can delete or edit individual posts (with personally identifiable information) if necessary.

Is that part quote, part editorialising by you.

It is verbatim from the terms of use

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is no debating on this matter. Boards.ie have always removed posts identifying someone. They have done this long before anyone even thought of the directive

Not sure if you're purposely missing the point, but members can be identified without them posting their name, address and phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is no debating on this matter. Boards.ie have always removed posts identifying someone if requested. They have done this long before anyone even thought of the directive

@Hurrache - I think Sleeper12 missed two key words.

We don't delete all posts that simply contain personal information. What people disclose about themselves is up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Mr E wrote: »
    @Hurrache - I think Sleeper12 missed two key words.

We don't delete all posts that simply contain personal information. What people disclose about themselves is up to them.

Yes, I understand that's how it works.

Interestingly this case could be an interesting test if the member sought to push it, poster is identifiable, argues that his business could suffer over what he claims was incorrect information posted about it, asks for his posts to be removed but admins say they're happy to leave things as they are
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057873352/1/#post107034495

Here's the problem with deleting entire posting history, it would be used as a weapon by banned members or members with a grudge.

Under the directive you have a right to ask for all data identifying you to be remove /deleted. This doesn't mean that the information has to be removed. On a site like boards it's up to you to prove that posts identify you. I'm not saying boards.ie would go down that road but if they delete IP address & email address and remove posts that identify you then you don't really have any right to expect posts that don't identify you to be removed.

If you follow this to the extreme you can have posters looking not just for their own comments removed but any comments linking their user name or both sides of a conversation. So we have a thread let's say 30 pages & one poster is engaging with 20 other posters. If his /her posts & the replies are removed it can make other posters comments appearing to say something that wasn't really said. You could have a poster who has made their private information public in their signature because they don't say things that they are ashamed of afterwards. They're reply to two removed comments may make them look like a racist (for example) because its all out of context.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not sure if you're purposely missing the point, but members can be identified without them posting their name, address and phone number.

That’s really not true of most users and my continued perusal of the GDPR indicates to me that isn’t the data that is protected under GDPR.

In specific cases specific requests can be made on a per post or per thread basis.

Here's the problem with deleting entire posting history, it would be used as a weapon by banned members or members with a grudge..........

Again, that doesn't matter if there's a requirement that they should be removed.
    That’s really not true of most users and my continued perusal of the GDPR indicates to me that isn’t the data that is protected under GDPR.

In specific cases specific requests can be made on a per post or per thread basis.

I know it's not true of most users.

Yes, I understand that's how it works.

Interestingly this case could be an interesting test if the member sought to push it, poster is identifiable, argues that his business could suffer over what he claims was incorrect information posted about it, asks for his posts to be removed but admins say they're happy to leave things as they are
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057873352/1/#post107034495

In that particular case maybe (certainly next week they shouldn’t be able to track other accounts if closed).

However they don’t need to delete all posts just the identifying ones - in this case where he identifies himself as an app provider. On request and if the request is reasonable.

I don’t think the GDPR is intended to kill Internet forums, in fact there’s a provision to protect freedom of expression.

Again, that doesn't matter if there's a requirement that they should be removed.

I know it's not true of most users.

Well then the users who think they are identifiable and want to close their accounts need to worry about whatever specific posts they think identify them.

Courts will decide. I doubt if all Internet forums will be forced to delete the past history of all posters.

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

Posts didn't have to be deleted before. Hiding the posts was fine at the time.
    Hurrache wrote:

I've no doubt boards.ie will comply fully with the law but who decides if a post or thousands of posts should be deleted? Just because I claim that 90 percent of my posts could possibly identify me doesn't mean that they should be deleted. It's not black and white. There is definitely a burden of proof involved.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That’s a very general phrasing and hardly constitutes a blanket reason to delete all posts.

Theres generally no way the identity of a natural person can be ascertained by being part of a class of people for instance, just because landlords make themselves known as landlords and tenants as tenants in the accomdation forum doesn’t mean they are at all self identifying.

The TOU says:

It does delete specific posts not all posts.

In that particular case maybe (certainly next week they shouldn’t be able to track other accounts if closed).

However they don’t need to delete all posts just the identifying ones - in this case where he identifies himself as an app provider. On request and if the request is reasonable.

I don’t think the GDPR is intended to kill Internet forums, in fact there’s a provision to protect freedom of expression.

I agree with you on the last point, but I find the second point interesting as to the limits it can be pushed, user can claim that Pandora's box has been opened by that particular post and therefore who they are is in the public domain and therefore they can be easily identified from that point on.

As I said here previously, data privacy groups I'm sure have a number of requests primed and ready to go.

Well then the users who think they are identifiable and want to close their accounts need to worry about whatever specific posts they think identify them.

Courts will decide. I doubt if all Internet forums will be forced to delete the past history of all posters.

No, the data administrators of that data need to worry. And again, other forums already do delete all post history prior to GDPR.

Posts didn't have to be deleted before. Hiding the posts was fine at the time.

I've no doubt boards.ie will comply fully with the law but who decides if a post or thousands of posts should be deleted? Just because I claim that 90 percent of my posts could possibly identify me doesn't mean that they should be deleted. It's not black and white. There is definitely a burden of proof involved.

Why don't boards just not allow the user to delete their own posts? Like every other site. They can decide the information that they no longer consent being online.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're being a tad facetious with that post.
    I totally resent that comment

Yes there are probably hundreds of people on this site that I know or that know me. Most of those are people I introduced myself to or have introduced themselves to me or have been introduced by someone else

I have made it perfectly clear in this thread that it would be easy for people to identify me based on my posts. That was not the point I was making. I was indicating that looking at certain personal information does not mean you can be identified by it. The posts on this site that could be aggregated to identify me probably number significantly less than 100. Does that give me the right to have another 30,000 posts that were commentary providing information or indeed my opinion on matters deleted. I do not know as I am not a lawyer but it would seem pretty excessive if the law does permit that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement