Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collapso and daftdrop websites gone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

daftdrop.com is back! I've figured out a way to keep it going without it costing me a bomb...

Sorry to all of you who relied on it, I've been very busy over the last few months.

I will ask this favour though, just on the off-chance someone bites:

Does anyone have a server lying about they do not need? Any PC (base) would based do, doesn't need to be a massive spec. No need to have any O/S installed.

Or some remote server/service that could be used for some background tasks? A VPS or EC2 instance would be ideal. I'm not really in the mood to pay for any more that what I am already at the moment. DaftDrop makes a little back on ads, but not enough to pay for itself as it is (unless a particularly good month).

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭RandomUsername

I don't have a server but would happily donate a few euro towards a purchase to keep this valuable service alive.
    Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

What sort of min spec you need? I'd be happy to donate something too...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have an actual dumpster of hardware here and a lot going to WEEE next week - what spec and chassis format do you need? I've everything from 1U rackmount up but some of it would be particularly antique (P4 Xeon)

L1011 wrote: »
    I have an actual dumpster of hardware here and a lot going to WEEE next week - what spec and chassis format do you need? I've everything from 1U rackmount up but some of it would be particularly antique (P4 Xeon)

In terms of spec, don't need anything too beefy. High-memory would be a plus...or the ability to add more.

Not against old hardware if that's all that's available... (think I'd need 64-bit though, but I'd assume they're all 64-bit).

In terms of chassis, actually I was thinking more of a PC (just the base, no keyboard/monitor), that I could just have sitting in a corner (would install linux on it). I have no racks myself, etc. I just rent a server currently -- never physically at it. But another machine could handle some of the stuff and take the load off the rented server. Let me know if you think you'd have anything. If not, thanks very much anyway!

• Advertisement

I don't have a server but would happily donate a few euro towards a purchase to keep this valuable service alive.
    Anyone else ?
    mcbert wrote: »
    What sort of min spec you need? I'd be happy to donate something too...

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll stick a donate button up at some stage. I don't really like asking for $$$ though!

In terms of a spec: anything really, I just want a machine to do some scheduled background tasks, to take the load off the web server. Would install Linux on it, and beef up the memory myself if there wasn't enough, probably. No monitor/keyboard required, just a computer of some sort....preferably with 4GB of memory or up!

What part of the country?

mcbert wrote: »
    What part of the country?

Dublin / Wicklow.

rat_race wrote: »
    Dublin / Wicklow.

Sorry, im in middle of moving house, so difficult to check what i have. Not sure to be honest. But i do like this site, would be a huge pity if it disappeared for sake of a modest few second hand parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

BTW it's not quite as much ram as you want but I use things like this from Odroid for all sorts of scheduled jobs where I don't feel like using a VPS

https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Same idea as a raspberry pi but much higher performance and still pretty cheap ($59US)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

rat_race wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Maybe I'll stick a donate button up at some stage. I don't really like asking for $$$ though!

In terms of a spec: anything really, I just want a machine to do some scheduled background tasks, to take the load off the web server. Would install Linux on it, and beef up the memory myself if there wasn't enough, probably. No monitor/keyboard required, just a computer of some sort....preferably with 4GB of memory or up!

I have a Dell Power Edge 2900 on adverts for sale at the moment. No disks in it but it might do you if you have them. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have a Dell Power Edge 2900 on adverts for sale at the moment. No disks in it but it might do you if you have them. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

I'd be happy to help you if you want to host in the cloud and have any budget. Done right it could self finance and the AWS cost for a system like this would be cheap as chips. I am an AWS consultant so happy to donate some time getting you up and running. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Hi,

Daftdrop hasn't updated since 5th September, is there any issue I can help with perhaps?

Thanks!

bailey99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Daftdrop hasn't updated since 5th September, is there any issue I can help with perhaps?

Thanks!

Fix deployed but wont take affect until tonight. Daft changed their site drastically, breaking parts of the data harvesters.

Back up and running well now...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Thanks for all your work on this. Is the update the reason why there is over 1,000 number of decreases in October already? Probably meant for September?

Thanks for all your work on this. Is the update the reason why there is over 1,000 number of decreases in October already? Probably meant for September?

Yes, that would explain it. A bunch (well, most) of them would have been September's, but were only noticed now because the system was down for most of September -- and hence get thrown into October's data :P

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Seems totally gone now, shame, thanks anyway

Advertisement