Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book on the Crusades

Options
  • 06-06-2005 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently went to see the film "The Kingdom of God" found it very interesting and now would like to read up on this subject to get the non-Hollywood version. Can anyone recommend a book that isn't too big and not too hard considering history books aren't my usual.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Not very helpful but that film was muck.

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"The Crusades" by Hamilton, is a fairly light read and the author seemed to have no particular historical axe to grind.
    Also you could try "Crusader: By horse to Jerusalem" by Tim Serevin. More a travel book, but has some history mixed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

The Crusades, a short history, by Johnathon Riley Smith. Its the best general book on the Crusads available. I did a course on the Crusades for my degree and this was the text book. I highly recommend it(although I also recommend avoiding Kingdom of Heaven like the plague)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 archie_BD

Yeah Riley-Smith is definitely the best. You could also read Mayer 'The Crusades', in depth but its not a light read.

Advertisement