Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten unwell after vaccinations

Options
  • 08-09-2019 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

We got our 15 week old kitten his first lot of vaccinations yesterday.
    Since coming home he has been unwell. He is normally a food savage but he hasn't touched his bowl. He just wants to stay in his bed and cries if picked up.
    He hasn't been drinking either.
    Think he has a temp as he is warm to touch.
    We rang the vet on call last night and he said to give it 24hrs.
    Has anyone come across this reaction before?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

The anti-vaxxers were right all along!

I would recommend very close monitoring to be honest, 24 hours seems long, did the vet mention this being a thing that sometimes occurs? You need to keep trying to get him to drink at least. How warm are we talking, is it getting worse, and how is the heat from his head?

Maybe call another vet. And try to use a thermometer, but watch some reference videos on youtube on how to do that safely and effectively when it comes to a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If any of mine will not drink; make up a simple rehydration fluid; Pint water, tbs sugar, tsp salt and get a syringe from any pharmacy. Just dribble it in at the side of the mouth. That will keep him hydrated. Works with cats and dogs.

Is that not young for vaccination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Samsgirl wrote: »
    We got our 15 week old kitten his first lot of vaccinations yesterday.
    Since coming home he has been unwell. He is normally a food savage but he hasn't touched his bowl. He just wants to stay in his bed and cries if picked up.
    He hasn't been drinking either.
    Think he has a temp as he is warm to touch.
    We rang the vet on call last night and he said to give it 24hrs.
    Has anyone come across this reaction before?

He really should be picking up by now. My cat was very groggy after the first lot of shots, and even vomiting. It passed after a few hours, and while he was still lethargic for a day or 2, he was eating.

High temperature, not eating and not moving is not a good combo for a cat. They can go downhill very quick. There are a few vets open on Sundays, I'm unsure where you are based but I know UCD are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Mr Sam is taking him back to the vets now. Vet thinks he may need fluids and an anti inflammatory jab.
    We have a great veterinary hospital in our town and we know them and trust them.
    He was spayed last week and it didn't knock an ounce out of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Had similar thing happen to a kitten we vaccinated; he got fever, grew stiff, not moving etc. but it peaked at that and went slowly away over the next couple of hours and second shot caused no issues for him. We've had over 40 kittens vaccinated and only seen it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He was spayed last week and it didn't knock an ounce out of him.

In fairness, he was probably down a couple of ounces!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

So, he had a temp of 103.5 when he was taken in. The vet gave him a shot of anti inflammatory and said to retake him back tomorrow if not back to himself.
    Mr Sam just rang there to say he has eaten and had some water and has also slapped the dog around so seems to be back in form. Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So, he had a temp of 103.5 when he was taken in. The vet gave him a shot of anti inflammatory and said to retake him back tomorrow if not back to himself.
    Mr Sam just rang there to say he has eaten and had some water and has also slapped the dog around so seems to be back in form. Thanks all for the advice.

ah that is good to hear; about the dog I mean!

Advertisement