Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents charging for a reference?

Options
  • 05-10-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Is it normal practise for an established estate agents to charge for a tenant reference? A friend has just been told he will have to pay €25 for a reference from an estate agents in Dublin that he has rented through for 4 years!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its work for the agent so seems reasonable that they would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

amcalester wrote: »

No it doesn’t , It sounds ridiculous

I’ve required 2 references in 10 years from estate agents and both were happy to type a couple of sentences. Takes around a minute max

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've never heard of it myself, and dealt with two letting agencies who were very helpful at the end of tenancy, BUT, I can't see how you'd be entitled to a reference for free?

Very scabby of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

amcalester wrote: »

lol

I suppose they are free to charge. Which for estate agents means that some of them will charge.

Dick move though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is that €25 per phone call that they get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

lawred2 wrote: »
    lol

I suppose they are free to charge. Which for estate agents means that some of them will charge.

Dick move though.
    Estate agents are only allowed to charge one party in a transaction. If they have already charged the landlord for management they cant then charge the tenant. Complain to the PSRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Estate agents are only allowed to charge one party in a transaction. If they have already charged the landlord for management they cant then charge the tenant. Complain to the PSRA.

So they'll just refuse to give references. Clever move.

I can't see how providing a written reference could be considered part of a transaction between and a property owner and an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

lawred2 wrote: »
    I can't see how providing a written reference could be considered part of a transaction between and a property owner and an agent.

The provision of a reference is arising from their management of the property,. Normally a landlord provides a reference. If they are doing it in lieu of the landlord it is because of the management contract they had with the landlord. The landlord will have been charged for the management of the property.

The provision of a reference is arising from their management of the property,. Normally a landlord provides a reference. If they are doing it in lieu of the landlord it is because of the management contract they had with the landlord. The landlord will have been charged for the management of the property.

that's tenuous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Quick - call PBP and Sinn Fein - we need legislation to deal with this. Landlords and agents should be required to attach a €50 note to every reference they give, and if its not attached in the correct location, the RTB should be able to issue a large fine for the distress caused to the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Estate agents are in the main less honest than ordinary Irish people ; letting agents in particular tend to fall far short of the ordinary Irish standard of decency.

I dont think that is fair comment. I have had dealings with many of them and never had cause to question their honesty or decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dennyk

It's likely legal, even if it is a bit of a dick move; neither previous landlords nor their agents are obligated to provide a reference, so they're free to say "pay this fee or I won't". Could your friend try going directly to their landlord rather than through the agent? He or she might be more amenable to providing a reference without trying to squeeze money out of your buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Pay €25, get the receipt and then post it on twitter facebook and other social media site. Should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There's no obligation to provide a reference. Its additional work so pay up and smile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Just when you thought the relationship between LLs/agents and tenants couldn't get any more adversarial. How miserable can you be asking for 25 quid off someone who to all intents and purposes was a decent tenant (why ask for a reference if you wrecked a place) for a decent period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Previous employers should take a leaf from these fcukers and start charging for references so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve read some rubbish in here over the tears. This is up there.

The landlord would not have paid the estate agent to provide a reference.
    The ex tenant is asking a professional to provide a service. For which there’s an admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dennyk

Browney7 wrote: »
    Just when you thought the relationship between LLs/agents and tenants couldn't get any more adversarial. How miserable can you be asking for 25 quid off someone who to all intents and purposes was a decent tenant (why ask for a reference if you wrecked a place) for a decent period of time?

Sounds like it's the agent charging the fee; the LL has nothing to do with it and may not even be aware of the situation if the tenant hasn't talked to them directly (assuming it isn't a corporate landlord or someone else who wouldn't care anyway).

Advertisement