Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 17:36   #1
mossie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,237
Latin

Hi.

I wonder if anyone here has any knowledge of Latin? I have an old medal that I think belonged to my Grand Uncle who studied for the priesthood in Rome and would be interested in finding out the translation. Thanks
mossie is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2021, 17:37   #2
Kewreeuss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 494
have you tried any of the online translators?
Kewreeuss is offline  
03-01-2021, 17:45   #3
mossie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewreeuss View Post
have you tried any of the online translators?
Thanks. I've tried google translate and get something like "Urban College Students - Religion and Doctrine" for one side. The other side is proving more difficult as it's harder to read and there are a few abbreviations I'm trying to figure out.
mossie is offline  
03-01-2021, 17:46   #4
xieann
Registered User
 
xieann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,170
Is it still a leaving cert subject?
xieann is offline  
03-01-2021, 17:51   #5
mossie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by xieann View Post
Is it still a leaving cert subject?
Not sure of that.
mossie is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2021, 17:54   #6
mossie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie View Post
Thanks. I've tried google translate and get something like "Urban College Students - Religion and Doctrine" for one side. The other side is proving more difficult as it's harder to read and there are a few abbreviations I'm trying to figure out.
The back says something like "the whole world to every creature" but that's as far as I can go. I found a website for "Collegio Urbano" which may be the college involved so I might contact them.
mossie is offline  
03-01-2021, 18:20   #7
stopthevoting
Registered User
 
stopthevoting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie View Post
The back says something like "the whole world to every creature" but that's as far as I can go. I found a website for "Collegio Urbano" which may be the college involved so I might contact them.

It could be something like "Alumnus of the Collegio Urbano - Religion and Doctrine - Go into the whole world to evangelise all creation".
Can you post the Latin letters that you are able to make out?
stopthevoting is offline  
Thanks from:
03-01-2021, 19:01   #8
Del.Monte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 11,124
Still remember this addition in my old Latin primer - "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me."
Del.Monte is offline  
03-01-2021, 19:02   #9
Treppen
Registered User
 
Treppen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
Still remember this addition in my old Latin primer - "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be, it killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me."
It's all Greek to me
Treppen is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2021, 19:41   #10
Kewreeuss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 494
Why don't you write out the latin inscriptions, front and back and we'll have a go
Kewreeuss is offline  
03-01-2021, 19:46   #11
mossie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoting View Post
It could be something like "Alumnus of the Collegio Urbano - Religion and Doctrine - Go into the whole world to evangelise all creation".
Can you post the Latin letters that you are able to make out?
That makes sense.

It Looks like: (assuming V is actually U)
Front: "Alumnus Collegii Urbani" "Doctrinae Et Pietati"
Rear: "Euntus in Universum Mundum Prardic Evang Omni Creaturae "

I think that's pretty close to what you wrote above. It seems to be a verse from the bible "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."

Last edited by mossie; 03-01-2021 at 20:06.
mossie is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet