Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardest game EVAH!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Okay Cuphead is one of the most infuriating pieces of **** games I've ever played. Regardless of how much it harkens back to the days of MegaContraVaniaMan X, there's no excuse for some of the absolute bullsh*t design in this game. The randomisation of elements it throws at you can actively trap you and in some cases it pretty much forces you into using particular weapons and then punishes you for it.

I've never come so close to throwing a controller in rage as I have with this game. Some parts are extremely difficult and you'll die a lot, but you learn the best ways to dodge the attacks or move in the environment. That's fine. Some parts though are just utter horsesh*t and a game is not good just because it's hard.

:D

Nothing really random about the game and it's always fair any random element can be countered and it's down to you if you die. Just don't think it's for you. I love these games. It's you versus the game developer. I actually think it's a fantastically designed game but I can see how it could annoy people.

If you aren't enjoying it might be best to duck out before the game gets really tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm on the Bee on Isle 3. That may break me into trying a simple attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    :D

Nothing really random about the game and it's always fair any random element can be countered and it's down to you if you die. Just don't think it's for you. I love these games. It's you versus the game developer. I actually think it's a fantastically designed game but I can see how it could annoy people.

If you aren't enjoying it might be best to duck out before the game gets really tough!

You are entirely too forgiving of games you like while regularly lambasting games you haven't or barely played.

Randomised attacks which box you in combined with randomised cloud placement giving you nowhere to escape to (even with smoke dash) is not you vs the developer. Its the developer saying "F*ck you".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are entirely too forgiving of games you like while regularly lambasting games you haven't or barely played.

Randomised attacks which box you in combined with randomised cloud placement giving you nowhere to escape to (even with smoke dash) is not you vs the developer. Its the developer saying "F*ck you".

Well to counter that I think it's you blaming developers on your own faults. It's not just me that says it's a fantastically designed game. People that love these games like on hg101 love it as well and think it's up there with the best games from the likes of treasure and Konami.

If the game was cheap you wouldn't be able to avoid damage but in cuphead you can always avoid damage. If you get boxed in that's on you. The rules and design are consistent and always fair what kills you is your execution.

This isn't a git gud slight on you but take it from someone that loves these games and actually designed one of these for a project himself, the bosses are impeccably designed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well to counter that I think it's you blaming developers on your own faults. It's not just me that says it's a fantastically designed game. People that love these games like on hg101 love it as well and think it's up there with the best games from the likes of treasure and Konami.

If the game was cheap you wouldn't be able to avoid damage but in cuphead you can always avoid damage. If you get boxed in that's on you. The rules and design are consistent and always fair what kills you is your execution.

This isn't a git gud slight on you but take it from someone that loves these games and actually designed one of these for a project himself, the bosses are impeccably designed.

Trust me, there were far more deaths that were completely my fault. I 100% accept that. But there are some deaths that aren't due to the randomisation of events or attack combinations, and those are just infuriating in an already difficult game. And again, you can't always completely avoid damage even with the smoke dash due to environmental situations (which like with the dragon fight, is also, randomised).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

This "its your own fault for dying" winds me up. Constantly said in reference to dark souls. I often think of it ironically just as I get stomped by a boss for the first time. That was clearly my own fault for not knowing the patterns required on my first attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

cuphead the ultimate neck beards game

Trust me, there were far more deaths that were completely my fault. I 100% accept that. But there are some deaths that aren't due to the randomisation of events or attack combinations, and those are just infuriating in an already difficult game. And again, you can't always completely avoid damage even with the smoke dash due to environmental situations (which like with the dragon fight, is also, randomised).

No actually, there really isn't. If you end up in a situation where you are going to take damage it's you that lead to you ended up in that situation. You really can't blame the developers on this one, they're just incredibly well designed bosses. Dark Souls games, maybe you can use that, there's jank inherent in most 3D games with stuff like the camera and getting caught on geometry but in a 2D game this well designed you can rail against the developers but they put a lot of hard work into making sure the bosses are fair.

You can level a lot of complaints at these types of games. They are about memorisation and execution and that might not be to everyone's liking. You will get caught out on new attack patterns before you learn them. Cuphead though as some one that has loads of experience with these types of games is as tightly designed as the best of them.

And I actually never used the smoke dash, kind of found it redundant and left the slot open for much better abilities.

I think in a lot of cases there's a saying, a bad workman blames his tools. Similarly a frustrated gamer blames the developer.
    This "its your own fault for dying" winds me up. Constantly said in reference to dark souls. I often think of it ironically just as I get stomped by a boss for the first time. That was clearly my own fault for not knowing the patterns required on my first attempt.

That's called taking it the wrong way there. What it usually refers to is that the bosses are well designed and can be beaten without taking a hit unfairly. Plenty of no hit runs of all the souls games.

It's not it reference to 'hurr hurr, you suck, git gud'. It means don't blame the design of the game, it's hard but doesn't mean it's badly designed. But some people take it as that as a way to defend their bruised egos and then take it out on the developers and other people that enjoy the games.

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote: »

Great video there on why the game is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

After a bit of thinking, the only game standing out for me as difficult (to me, back in the day) was Wizards and Warriors 3 on the NES. Wasn't sure if that was the name, we had a bit of fun trying to figure it out on that other thread from ages back, but just to be sure I checked YouTube for a Let's Play of them, and the minute 3 started up, the music, the village.... gonna have nightmares tonight. Never managed to get out of the first area (village). But, I can't say if that's because it was actually too hard, or just terrible platforming.

207342-wizards-warriors-iii-kuros-visions-of-power-nes-screenshot.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

God Manic Miner used to give me the sh*ts. Such a tough game and my tape was corrupted so I only ever got to play about 3 levels before it turned into a garbled mess.

Never managed to get out of the first area (village). But, I can't say if that's because it was actually too hard, or just terrible platforming.

Oh it's a bit of both wrapped up in some dodgy euro platformer design from the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Getting the Mile High achievement in Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I tend to give up rather than persevere so haven't any great experience. I did stick with COD 4 Campaign on veteran for some reason. Man that was frustrating, I exploded a lot.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I tend to give up rather than persevere so haven't any great experience.

This is probably the only true way to win at these evil, evil games. Damn you OCD!

Advertisement