Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed vs alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Choice between the two I'd pick the drink.

I think weed should be fully legal though. Smoke if you want. It's less harmful than alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

This post had me thinking about Cigarettes n Alcohol from Oasis.

How does one link in videos in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Rufeo wrote: »
    This post had me thinking about Cigarettes n Alcohol from Oasis.

How does one link in videos in here.

First of all, here's a GIF to illustrate my superiority:
    hOEeo-.gif

And here's your video good sir, Maine Road 1996 no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That reminds me. Weedol! Thanks fedge

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Weed, alcohol and prozac all in a night out twice a week nice stone in fairness.

• Advertisement

Pretty much everything I've ever done that I'm embarrassed or ashamed about, I've done while drunk.

Moderate intake of Alcohol, sure... but honestly, I find drinking Alcohol rather boring, and i don't particularly like the taste all that much. Plus as I get older, I'm more likely to get heart burn when I drink it.

Weed... I use it as treatment for my shaking disorder, and also, because it's enjoyable. I've always loved the effect of munchies too. Used to get paranoid when I was a teenager, but I haven't had such a feeling in two decades. Avoiding crappier strains helps there. Laziness or lack of momentum is the major issue for me with weed, so it's just something I do rarely.

So, Weed Vs Alcohol? Definitely weed.... but as with either drug. Moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Alcohol is the most widely accepted social lubricant, so alcohol. But I find it strange you cant dispense therapeutic pharmacological advice on here but it's perfectly acceptable to give spurious advice on doing speedballs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Alcohol is the most widely accepted social lubricant, so alcohol. But I find it strange you cant dispense therapeutic pharmacological advice on here but it's perfectly acceptable to give spurious advice on doing speedballs.

The legal stuff has laws surrounding what you or who can and can't say, and the illegal stuff is just illegal to have so any advice about anything illegal should be taken with a bag of salt anyway?

Weed for me. In my teens/20's it would have been drink. If that was because I wasn't into weed/hash at the time, or because I wasn't around the people who were, but it was 99.9% drink back then. Back when you could do the absolute dog on it, and still be fine(ish) the following day.

As others have said, most of what I regret in life there was alcohol involved. The only thing I regret with weed was taking a waterfall just after a honker of a joint before going to bed. Turned around, turned off the light to go upstairs, woke up face down on the floor, chip gone from my front tooth welded into the wood laminate flooring. Nearly killed myself while drunk a few times. Big difference!

I digress. It's hard for a lot of people to say weed right now, because due to a bad experience they may not want to try again, but with legalisation the options of the different strains would be available. Just like I won't drink whiskey because I know I'll black out regardless of the amount imbibed, but I can drink rum (to an extent) without that issue. My mate is a clean freak on some strains, and a couch potato on others. Not having that choice can blur the decision.

Would be a fantastic state earner if they legalised it at the end of this pandemic. Easy, quick money, loads of jobs, and eventually all the other social and financial benefits it should bring if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭dasdog

Arghus wrote: »
    I smoked weed for years. I used to enjoy the feeling of complete intense absorption in films, games, but particularly with music. But it wasn't good for me. It took me a fair while to ....blah blah

I completely understand where this is coming from but I'm getting on in years and I no longer take in to consideration what strangers opinions of me might be. I have no problem doing a bowl and heading in to whatever situation presents itself - although I leave it to weekends.

It used to be hash and cans - at least it's now decent beer and green. If it doesn't agree with you don't bother - quite simple really.

Can't bate some good weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Arghus wrote: »
    I smoked weed for years. I used to enjoy the feeling of complete intense absorption in films, games, but particularly with music. But it wasn't good for me. It took me a fair while to realise this. I'm quite an introspective person by nature and my mind would go into overdrive while I was stoned. I could never be fully at ease and I was frequently on edge or busy reading way too much into things - I didn't particularly like being out in public or being with other people while I was whacked. When people say weed relaxes them I genuinely have no clue what they mean. But I know for some people it does.

I stopped abruptly one night after just having enough of it. I didn't want to spend any more money on it, didn't like hanging around with people with whom the only thing I had in common with was smoking weed, hated waking up everyday tired and feeling like someone had taken a dump in my brain, hated feeling like I was a servant to it; that I couldn't feel my evening was complete until I had a smoke. That was it: enough. And it was surprisingly easy to just quit. Went to Amsterdam a few years ago and thought, fck it, I have to smoke something while I'm here. Had one joint and it basically ruined my evening - brain going 100mph. Brought it back to me why I stopped smoking in the first place. Not for me, but to each their own.

I like the camaraderie of going boozing with people. I never felt any of that when I was stoned in the company of others. I don't typically drink to the point of insensibility, but I can stay in the merry phase for quite a long time. There's no comparison for me between a night of great craic on the booze with people and the slow sluggish experience of sitting around with others, getting baked.

Jesus, I could have wrote this myself.

I smoked weed everyday mostly from the age of 15/16 onwards to about 19. I remember, when I was that age, it made me feel good, laugh alot, and I was quite a relaxed fun person.

Then something just changed and it began to make me paranoid, anxious, feel awkward around close friends.

I hate smoking it now, and avoid it where possible. Once a year I might have a small drag or two for the crack if I'm drinking with my boyfriend, it makes me appreciate music more.

However my mind goes on complete overdrive and I become quite uncomfortable if I smoke too much, maybe that's the problem, it was too much haha

In general I am quite fond of alcohol and I love a few drinks. However I see friends around me still smoking and relying on weed and kinda feel sorry for them, I feel so free now that I don't smoke weed or feel like I have to smoke it to feel a certain way.

Maybe it's just the guilt and self sabotage thing I feel for myself, like I loved weed way too much as a teenager and it made me hate myself I think, along with leaving school etc, all those things I probably wouldn't have done, had I never started smoking it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Das Reich wrote: »
    To relax? I would chose something most alcoholics and drugged people don't like. Liking a vag.ina.
    Is the domain vag.ina taken?

I smoked weed everyday mostly from the age of 15/16 onwards to about 19. I remember, when I was that age, it made me feel good, laugh alot, and I was quite a relaxed fun person.

Then something just changed and it began to make me paranoid, anxious, feel awkward around close friends.

Sorry to hear that but it's likely street weed you've been around or perhaps it's just an avenue that your mind doesn't want to explore. It's illegal after all so you cannot be proud whilst high in public. The same is not true of alcohol.

dasdog wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that but it's likely street weed you've been around or perhaps it's just an avenue that your mind doesn't want to explore. It's illegal after all so you cannot be proud whilst high in public. The same is not true of alcohol.

I beg to differ. I see no harm in it as long as I'm not driving or anything like that. It's only illegal because a piece of legislation says so. World trend is showing increasing legalisation so it is only a matter of time imo. In the next few governments, when the younger ones start becoming the middle aged ones. So i'm not going to feel shame or anything like that. I'm not advertising the fact either, but if asked straight up I wouldn't deny it.

Maybe it was 9 years of seeing the results of alcohol, but i'm completely gone off it, and consider it dangerous because people can't respect it. Not all, obviously, but a lot. Otherwise there wouldn't be a 'drink problem' in this country.

....so i'm not going to feel shame or anything like that. I'm not advertising the fact either, but if asked straight up I wouldn't deny it.

There is no shame but it's still taboo - phucking pride if anything. Weed and booze both have their merits - and downsides. Substance abuse should be the topic not cannabis plants flowers versus the yeast's bi-product.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Joe exotic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I hate smoking it now, and avoid it where possible. Once a year I might have a small drag or two for the crack if I'm drinking with my boyfriend, it makes me appreciate music more.

However my mind goes on complete overdrive and I become quite uncomfortable if I smoke too much, maybe that's the problem, it was too much haha

In general I am quite fond of alcohol and I love a few drinks. However I see friends around me still smoking and relying on weed and kinda feel sorry for them, I feel so free now that I don't smoke weed or feel like I have to smoke it to feel a certain way.

Maybe it's just the guilt and self sabotage thing I feel for myself, like I loved weed way too much as a teenager and it made me hate myself I think, along with leaving school etc, all those things I probably wouldn't have done, had I never started smoking it..

I watched a documentary that said the weed nowadays is very different from the one that the older generation smoked. It's been bred to have a higher THC content but a low or non existence CBD content which is found to actually modulate the high. It's also apparently the reason why weed psychosis has skyrocketed.

You should go to Canada or the Netherlands where they've turned it into a science and smoke a strain of weed with a high cannabidiol content.

I watched a documentary that said the weed nowadays is very different from the one that the older generation smoked. It's been bred to have a higher THC content but a low or non existence CBD content which is found to actually modulate the high. It's also apparently the reason why weed psychosis has skyrocketed.

That's exactly the problem, it's hard to 'dose' when you don't know the THC/CBD content, strain, etc. If the choice and information was there, people could try a strain that's geared towards what they're looking for. Opinions might change then.

Offering a first timer a smoke of god knows what could be like offering a first time drinker a clear liquid, unknown as to what it is, turns out to have the effects of poitin! Could also have the effect of water. The joys of illegal weed!

That's exactly the problem, it's hard to 'dose' when you don't know the THC/CBD content, strain, etc. If the choice and information was there, people could try a strain that's geared towards what they're looking for. Opinions might change then.

Offering a first timer a smoke of god knows what could be like offering a first time drinker a clear liquid, unknown as to what it is, turns out to have the effects of poitin! Could also have the effect of water. The joys of illegal weed!

Just curious have you smoked?

I've done it twice and actually stopped cause I experienced auditory and visual hallucinations. The first time, I was lying down in my bed and suddenly heard my mother calling me in an annoyed voice telling me "mr_fegelien, why haven't you killed yourself yet?" "stop wasting time and kill yourself". It was pretty terrifying.

The second time I was walking and hallucinated some animals staring at me.

I've been told that hallucinations of any kind are not normal if I was smoking weed and that can either mean that

a) I was smoking some other hallucinogen

or

b) I was smoking synthetic cannabis along with have a predisposition to mental illness. (I should state that I've been diagnosed with psychosis and aspergers once in the past but never hallucinated when having a sober psychotic episode. I just got violent and had delusional thoughts)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Drugs are for losers. Alcohol is just a drink that I can take or leave.

• Advertisement

Just curious have you smoked?

I've done it twice and actually stopped cause I experienced auditory and visual hallucinations. The first time, I was lying down in my bed and suddenly heard my mother calling me in an annoyed voice telling me "mr_fegelien, why haven't you killed yourself yet?" "stop wasting time and kill yourself". It was pretty terrifying.

The second time I was walking and hallucinated some animals staring at me.

I've been told that hallucinations of any kind are not normal if I was smoking weed and that can either mean that

a) I was smoking some other hallucinogen

or

b) I was smoking synthetic cannabis along with have a predisposition to mental illness. (I should state that I've been diagnosed with psychosis and aspergers once in the past but never hallucinated when having a sober psychotic episode. I just got violent and had delusional thoughts)

Yes, I have consumed quite a quantity of cannabis over the last 5 years (and some before then). From my experience, I would be on the higher side of quantity consumed, and only money is holding me back from more.

Honestly, it just sounds like cannabis is not for you. Or, at least, the stuff you tried. Where it's legal, you can get lower THC ( the psychoactive compound) and higher CBD (the non-psychoactive compound). High THC strains are known to cause the issues, and suspected cause of bringing underlying psychoactive conditions to the fore.

I'd imagine if you tried a low THC/high CBD strain, you might find it different. Then again, you might not. Everyone is different, just like drink. Need to find your 'flavour' and work from there.

I have hallucinated from it. Not in a very long time, and I find the hallucinating is never bad, just trippy, or is just before a whitey (getting sick). Sounds like you got high THC strains, or at least too high for you, akin to shooting tequila on your first night drinking. Synthetic stuff is also possible. The bit I tried was 10x stronger than the real stuff, and definitely made me trip, but again, not in a bad way. Maybe I'm just dispositioned (that a word?) to enjoy weed highs! To me, infinitely better than drink.
    Drugs are for losers. Alcohol is just a drink that I can take or leave.

Ah yes, that lovely legal drug alcohol. Wait, if alcohol is a drug, and drugs are for losers, then, does that mean people who drink alcohol are losers too?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Hydroponic grown cannabis is an absolute curse on this country. The amount of people who can't get out of bed without a drag is insane. Plus the cost, the related laziness/ dole dependence.

You also tend to notice that people addicted to weed are a lot less self aware of their addiction than alcoholics. Most of them genuinely don't think there's anything wrong with what they are doing. Look at the comments on any news article where a study, by, you know, actual trained medics and scientists, come up with a result about their beloved weed that they disagree with (it's addictive, carcinogenic, leads to disorders, etc etc)

Most dipsos are fully aware of how bad their problem is and at least usually have some intent of straightening out, however half hearted the effort might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Drugs I don't do personally are for losers. Alcohol is just a drink that I can take or leave.

FYP

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hydroponic grown cannabis is an absolute curse on this country. The amount of people who can't get out of bed without a drag is insane. Plus the cost, the related laziness/ dole dependence.

You also tend to notice that people addicted to weed are a lot less self aware of their addiction than alcoholics. Most of them genuinely don't think there's anything wrong with what they are doing. Look at the comments on any news article where a study, by, you know, actual trained medics and scientists, come up with a result about their beloved weed that they disagree with (it's addictive, carcinogenic, leads to disorders, etc etc)

Most dipsos are fully aware of how bad their problem is and at least usually have some intent of straightening out, however half hearted the effort might be.

The addiction tends to depend on the person as much as the actual substance, as well as social circumstances.

As for the "comments on any news article or study" - well, what result are you talking about? What study? Saying that weed is carcinogenic or leads to disorders is like saying alcohol leads to violence: it can do in certain individuals and this is common knowledge that doesn't need a study to prove it - but is that a valid reason to ban everyone from consuming it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's a cop out. It's an excuse for other problems, and justifying dependencies.

I have never known a person actually addicted to weed. I've known hundreds of stoners throughout the last three decades of being a smoker myself, and none of them were addicted. They smoked regularly, and used their weed as a prop for various activities like music or art, but they're weren't addicted.

I really wish people would stop pushing the addictive aspect of weed. There is none. There is a desire to smoke, and missing it when it's not available, but that's not addiction... Making addiction into covering far more than it should is not helping anyone.

Anyone having issues with getting out of bed is more likely to have other issues such as depression or other underlying concerns. Weed just exaggerates pre-existing conditions, and honestly, some people just shouldn't be smoking weed at all. Especially in the quantities that I find such people tend to do.

There is nothing worse to weed than Alcohol, or many other drug substances, and a lot better. It's not what you seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

You should specify: if I was a teen again I would probably make the same stupid life altering decisions,. that would be, I would choose drink and if I was passed the odd joint or under peer pressure I would have the odd smoke!?..
    Now if I had a brain and I was a fully matured adult...then... I would choose neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

s1ippy wrote: »
    Is the domain vag.ina taken?

I'll take vagina if its going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I grew up smoking hash, and grass, the heavy the stuff the more sedate you became. When I smoke (red or blonde leb) all you got were the giggles. When you smoked (black mor) you heavily stoned. But I smoked grass that actually comatosed me. Im regard to alcohol or weed. I'd take weed anytime (ive never woken up in some strangers front garden when I was stoned, did when I was gargled doh).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I cannot smoke cannabis anymore because it turns me into a paranoid mess. I much prefer drinking now. When I was a teenager and in my early twenties I did not get as much paranoia, it creeps up on you. Some of the grass being smoked these days is far too strong.

I have friends who don't suffer any negative side effects, they are middle aged and get a great benefit out of it. It might be worth adding that they tend to not drink that much either, I think mindset is paramount on your enjoyment of either.

I would urge any young smokers who are experiencing negative side effects (such as paranoia) to give the shít up, it is not worth it. When you are first experimenting you might laugh off any paranoia you get, but as you continue to get high these episodes do not go away. It gets annoying and if you are constantly getting red eye and thinking bad vibes they are no fun. Just give the shít up, you are wasting your time.

Don't bow to pressure from you peer group either. Smokers who don't experience bad side effects will not want others to having a bad buzz either. No one cares, just have a few drinks ( or whatever floats your boat) and enjoy yourself.

Anyone who posts stating that they use it to solve mental health issues don't have a notion what they are on about. If you are having paranoid episodes using any drug ( including alcohol) just stop. Get proper help if necessary. You are only gifted one brain, please look after it.

• Advertisement

I must say I wish I had an Irish or European extended family that was open to drugs instead of ***** who believe every false story about weed. My cousin is from Africa and would be considered a Millenial but she's so staight laced compared to even 50yr old Irish people. They probably drink more than her (and that's not a criticism but just a complaint).

The rest of the world still has long to go in drug legalization but moreso acceptance.

Advertisement