Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming

• 20-03-2020 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

All this in the news about this coronavirus, led me to watching YouTube videos. I watched video about a market in Wuhan. Other videos about the Chinese treatment of dogs.

The videos I saw on their treatment of dogs were vicious and brutal. Dogs were skinned alive and tortured to death.

It got me thinking about what Irish practices are when it comes to farming for meat. When animals like cows, pigs, sheep, here in Ireland are slaughtered for meat, are they tortured to death like the way dogs are tortured in China? Or is there a different method here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

This isn't a thread about farming. The answer is no, slaughter houses are regulated here.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

owlbethere wrote: »
    All this in the news about this coronavirus, led me to watching YouTube videos. I watched video about a market in Wuhan. Other videos about the Chinese treatment of dogs.

The videos I saw on their treatment of dogs were vicious and brutal. Dogs were skinned alive and tortured to death.

It got me thinking about what Irish practices are when it comes to farming for meat. When animals like cows, pigs, sheep, here in Ireland are slaughtered for meat, are they tortured to death like the way dogs are tortured in China? Or is there a different method here?

Ten out of ten for stupid questions

Thanks for having a thread title that has absolutely nothing to do with your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

AWhen animals like cows, pigs, sheep, here in Ireland are slaughtered for meat, are they tortured to death like the way dogs are tortured in China?

Yes we torture animals to death in Ireland, each county has 76,394 torture centres with doors made of bread and windows made of potatoes and the people involved are invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know a fella who is married to a women who once said hello to a man she assumed was a farmer.
    According to EU mandates - All animals in Ireland are tortured for at least 4 minutes during their first year.
    It's to stop them getting uppity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The videos of dogs being tortured and skinned alive are made by the same scum bags that make videos of themselves torturing animals here in the west, being a scumbag is a universal ability across all nations and races. The majority of dogs are dispatched same as pigs and sheep.
    I don’t know why they eat dog because it’s terrible, I had some last time there and it’s god awful.

Animals here are stunned and then bled out. It’s quick and efficient and the plant is laid out so live animals don’t see dead animals nor others being dispatched.

My father was a qualified butcher and he always said that an animal cut and bled out with a sharp knife and a confident hand never suffered, the cr being so clean it is painless and loss of blood causing loss of consciousness quickly. He dispatched hundreds.

Animals are only tortured by sadists and they deserve locking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Do they (gov't) let force feeding of birds go ahead here?

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Do they (gov't) let force feeding of birds go ahead here?

To best of my knowledge,no

But i was once on a chicken farm,i wouldnt and couldnt encourage anyone to eat chicken meat after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Please don't compare Ireland to that kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Farmers wouldn't allow a live dog in the house, never mind a dead one. ":pac:"

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Are you really that stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Are you really so cosseted op that you don't know any farmers in Ireland?

Get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'm after reading 14 post and nobody has mentioned the Farmers wife! who makes the most wonderful sponge cake

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Knock2

Looking for farming advice
    Have 20 acres herd no pin dry land water
    Looking to buy heifers now and sell in Oct/nov
    Stocking rate
    Best weight to buy
    Expected weight gain
    Will use somebody to buy them for me
    Expected profit per head
    I have a job
    Want to try it as apossed to renting land

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mikecope

Knock2 wrote: »
    Looking for farming advice
    Have 20 acres herd no pin dry land water
    Looking to buy heifers now and sell in Oct/nov
    Stocking rate
    Best weight to buy
    Expected weight gain
    Will use somebody to buy them for me
    Expected profit per head
    I have a job
    Want to try it as apossed to renting land

You'd be better off posting in the Farming & Forestry sub-forum, go to: Home > Topics > Society & Culture > Farming & Forestry or click https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

Advertisement