Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ St Patrick’s Day viewing FFS

• 17-03-2020 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Normally be out and about St Patrick’s day but sitting at home today looking at what’s on RTÉ for the day . Eastenders , Home and Away, the Simpson’s .... thought they might have something Irish on like an Irish film or a bit of Irish music or about the Irish abroad .
    Do RTÉ even realise their Irish ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They are mostly west brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I thought it was pretty tactless that with thousands of people concurrently losing their jobs they decided a re-run of "Irelands Rich List" last night was pertinent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Should have stuck last year's parade on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Darby O'Gill and the Little People is the film for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

RTE have abandoned traditional Irishness a number of years ago , thought the same earlier today looking at TV guide.

TnaG do a great job on a shoestring budget showing up the west brit Fat Cats in Donnybrook.

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty tactless that with thousands of people concurrently losing their jobs they decided a re-run of "Irelands Rich List" last night was pertinent.

Many of RTEs fat cats are totally disconnected from real Ireland. You would be too if you were on 400/500K a year living in a Million plus home in Dun Laoighaire !

That homegrown "talent" ain't cheap. Amy Hoovered up most of the budget. Now RTÉ have to rely on imports for padding. 2+2=5, according to the creative accountant upstairs. "Pay your TV licence" is the Pyongyang party line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dunno about tv but Moving Hearts been on Radio One live in studio, playing and talking about their 39 years on the go with Fiachra O Braonain. Terrific stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Degag

They don't even have a decent film on later from what i can see. They are obviously treating it like a normal day, which it kinda is now i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When the Wind Blows is on after the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Later in the day they'll have:
    Outbreak
    Contagion
    28 Days Later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s a goddamn charade. St. Patrick’s Day Charade is what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No Michael Collins then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

They should have put The Field on.

Gowann the bull...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Newsflash, it was ever so.

Get Netflix or stream whatever you want. Scheduled tv is a dead duck.

Many "Irish" movies are maudlin crap for the US market. Michael Collins included, although some posters here think it's a documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Even the film on rte 1 is in black and white. It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Many "Irish" movies are maudlin crap for the US market. Michael Collins included, although some posters here think it's a documentary.

For that go watch the excellent The Treaty.

The distinct lack of Julia Roberts alone makes it superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Stick on 'The Cassandra Crossing' after the 9 o'clock news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Is Flight of The Doves on?
    It's not St Patrick's Day without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They should have had The Snapper, Commitments and The Van on back to back.

All filmed during hard times but showed the best of our Irish spirit and humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I went looking for it to watch with the kids today

For the evening movie, an absolute bit of misery, especially considering all that's happening in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

hurler32 wrote: »
    looking at what’s on RTÉ for the day

Big mystake, 95% of what's on rte is garbage.
    Michael Collins included, although some posters here think it's a documentary.

Still a great watch though as Liam Neeson is magnificent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I went down
    Intermission
    Eat the peach
    They missed a beat not showing those today

Watching the 1977 Dublin v Armagh final on TnaG now , the only Irish station worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Many of RTEs fat cats are totally disconnected from real Ireland. You would be too if you were on 400/500K a year living in a Million plus home in Dun Laoighaire !
    Don't forget that the million(s) who pay the television license are regarded as serfs to the RTE elite. We are here to serve them, and not the other way round. We just do not have the intelligence to understand the nuances of having grandiose liberal views.

Now if I was an asylum seeker from Georgia with a tale to tell, or a Traveller looking for an "entitled" bigger house near mum, then they will be all ears and push the auld virus story off the headlines for a day or two.

In the wake of on demand scheduled is becoming that but the better programmes are still to be found via the traditional channel’s archives.

I’d really struggle without the discovery channels. BBC4, all that stuff there’s a bit too much fantasy on the streaming platforms for my liking. Half the time I feel like I’m watching blazing saddles with historical accuracy out the window particularly surreal when I see what appears an aborigine with a an irish accent or some such

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Bobblehats wrote: »
    In the wake of on demand scheduled is becoming that but the better programmes are still to be found via the traditional channel’s archives.

I’d really struggle without the discovery channels. BBC4, all that stuff there’s a bit too much fantasy on the streaming platforms for my liking. Half the time I feel like I’m watching blazing saddles with historical accuracy out the window particularly surreal when I see what appears an aborigine with a an irish accent or some such

What?

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    What?

I don’t know it’s all quite surreal. Those described might be the most genuine article...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Reeling in the Years will be on a 24hour rolling loop for the fore-seeable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

valoren wrote: »

A bit rich alright..

Advertisement