Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying hiking boots

Options
  • 21-01-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    I was looking to purchase a decent pair of hiking boots...just wondering if anyone could recommend a good outlet to get fitted. Would be looking for somewhere with knowledgeable staff and where they take their time measuring you up.
    thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Great Outdoors

53-54 South Great George's Street, Dublin, D02 X208

Phone: (01) 679 4293

Got boots and shoes in there and they took the time to find out what I wanted them for, let me try on several pairs etc - was very happy with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'm in Waterford so usually use https://www.mcsoutdoorstore.ie/ and so far they haven't left me down. Very knowledgeable staff who wear and use the gear they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Should you spend a minimum amount on hiking boots to ensure they are good quality?
    I saw some online for €40 etc Is that too little to spend? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Should you spend a minimum amount on hiking boots to ensure they are good quality?

Short answer is yes, unless they're on sale. Decent boots start about 100 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Myself and the wife have Meindles from pre-kids times when serious hikes were undertaken. We both still have them now and they're 10 and 12 years old. They're simply amazing and take an amazing amount of abuse if looked after.

They're the Land Rover Defender of boots.

We still use them for camping, walking, beaches and awful weather.

We have Mountain Warehouse bought boots for the kids and they're very impressive and excellent value. They have adults boots too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Depends what you're doing. Long Hill-walks in Ireland on a mountainside in Winter, you'll be looking at something leather of perhaps minimum 170 euros. A lot of people use things like Meindl Vakuums or Bhutans which will set you back 250+.

Tramping around the Camino on mostly paved roads - 100 quid min perhaps, you won't need as much weather protection. Walking the Wicklow way - same.

If you're just trying out hiking to see if you like it, and don't want to spend much, Lidl and Aldi usually have cheap hiking boots which are fairly decent - but you'll want to be getting new boots pretty quickly if you keep up the hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Would Regatta have any good boots?

Advertisement