Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest trails in the rain....what gear

Options
  • 11-01-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Went for a trek today (just 5km for now) at Glenbarrow waterfall. We both were happy with waterproof boots (Hi-Tec) with good grip and thick socks for the surface so my feet were warm and dry. But not the rest of me.

What gear should I be buying for Irish weather treks like this ?

I had an Under Armour t-shirt (to keep the sweat off my body) below a fleece and above that a shower proof light jacket. I wasn’t cold but the rain just started to penetrate the top jacket after an hour. We plan much longer treks. The light jacket was our choice to avoid over hearing.

I only had jeans for my legs so they were soaked. Waterproof trousers are needed but do I need to layer here also ? And if so, what should I be looking at for each layer.

I don’t want to bust the bank but if needs must then I will for myself and herself.

We will be sticking to marked walks which will include Wicklow where the terrain is a bit more exposed to the weather so I have to plan for that also. Forest walks for now until we build up some stamina.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just my opinion........
    Pertex top. Google Pertex in all it's permutations, there are quite a few types of it. Generally going from thin to thicker material.

I've had my fill of eVent and GoreTex jackets/coats. They are great for moderate exercise but if you're tramping for anything over an hour or so or more, they will be wetter on the inside more than outside. The body heat is trapped. Hit's the cold outer face and condenses on the inner. It will not dry. They all come with a "breathable material" guff, but it's not really.

I was up on top of Lug a couple of years ago in horizontal wind and rain wearing a Buffalo Windshirt and wool baselayer. The Windshirt was Pertex and whilst damp on the inside, was not particularly wet. It's a 220gram flimsy piece of kit that balls up to nothing but windproof to 50mph so they say....not that I'd be put in those conditions really.

We got off the top of Lug and as happens, the weather clears up at lower levels.
    My top was bone dry in 10-20 minutes. It's a highly breathable water resistant membrane. Alot of companies use Pertex.
    I since bought a Montane Extreme Smock. Pertex outer and pile lining. Bulky but extremely weather/cold proof. Well built kit. Dries out in minutes if wet.

My Cumulus winter sleeping bag is Pertex outer and I got custom heavier duty Pertex outer instead of the standard stuff.

My Montane Super Prism gloves.....Pertex outer. Sweaty hands, not going to happen.
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Definitely avoid the jeans. Lidl/Aldi often have walking/hiking trousers. I usually use these (or a pair of Berghaus walking trousers) with waterproof leggings rolled up in the bag - others might be able to suggest waterproof hiking pants.
    You might look at gators too - depending on the tracks you're on for now, but once you come off the tracks, and walk through wet grass I highly recommend them.

What's your Under Armour t-shirt made from? Avoid cotton if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

If you are in Newbridge then pop into Debenhams mens department upstairs and pick up a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi trousers.
    They are on sale at the moment and are great for hillwalking. Even if they get wet they dry out in no time. I have been wearing them for years and they are great.
    Never buy them in the outdoors stores as they are priced way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

noby wrote: »

What's your Under Armour t-shirt made from? Avoid cotton if at all possible.

It’s synthetic. Similar to a running top. It sticks to the body when sweating but you don’t get cold.

I read up on cotton not being suitable which is why I tried the Under Armour t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

mikka631 wrote: »
    If you are in Newbridge then pop into Debenhams mens department upstairs and pick up a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi trousers.
    They are on sale at the moment and are great for hillwalking. Even if they get wet they dry out in no time. I have been wearing them for years and they are great.
    Never buy them in the outdoors stores as they are priced way too high.

Big Crags fan here but their Kiwi Classic line, which are a great trouser and quick to dry after normal rain, were no fun in really heavy rain as I found out on Sunday :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Merino wool is the dog's bollox for base layers and Aldi regularly have it on sale (a few times a year). Decathlon will be opening in Ballymun around March/April and is also great for keenly-priced merino and other outdoor gear. Well worth checking out if you live in/near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bought Craighoppers long sleeve t-shirt (96% polyamide) for base €18, craighoppers fleece top (poly material again) €20, craighoppers trousers €30. Out for a walk today, admittedly in good weather but very happy with the purchases. Thanks for heads up on Debenhams sale for those.

I’ll keep an eye out for Merino wool stuff in Aldi.

To cover all bases in case of heavy rain, I was looking for good light rain gear. Trespass have pull up trousers and light rain jacket that can be folded away into a ball of sorts. Have their own isolite 5000 spec on them. Think the jacket was €40 and trousers were €20. Anyone find these any good or should I look elsewhere ?

Advertisement