Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-01-2020, 17:22   #1
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,169
2019 A Christmas Forum Year In Review

So as the season comes to a close and the excitement of Christmas week is all but a distant memory at this stage it's time to reflect on the year 2019 in the Christmas Forum.

2019 ended up being our busiest time of year by a large margin! Breaking over 10.6k posts. Which is phenomenal growth from last year.

2019 saw the return of the popular Know Your Elves which ran from February right up to December.

We motivated ourselves to change from puddings to crackers and lost alot of weight along the way.

We even voted for our favorite sweets and survived to tell the tale.

The toy show 2019 was an instant classic and stole the hearts of many and even cause a few tears to be shed. And ChristmasFM once again unknowingly had us all momentarily connected as we listened to the same live music together.

I can honestly say 2019 was one of the best years yet on here. The community spirit here is just fantastic and it's always a beacon of light for me even on the busiest and most stressful of times.

2019 was a personally tough year for me dealing with unexpected loss and illnesses in loved ones, but I'm eternally grateful I have this wonderful outlet to help distract/vent/escape to.

What was your highlight for 2019 either in here or in the outside world?

And any thoughts or ideas for threads/games,etc for 2020 let me know.
Loughc is offline  
Advertisement
02-01-2020, 18:07   #2
DvB
Registered User
 
DvB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,937
Enjoyed the year on here, first things first though, thanks to yourself and posy for the excellent modding, always makes life easier on a forum when the mods are fair and clued in, so thanks again guys, you run an excellent ship!

Had an up and down year myself and agree with loughc it's fantastic to have this forum as a vehicle to help deal with the day to day grind, long may it continue as I'd be lost without it at this stage.

I know I've said this loads of times but it really is the friendliest forum on boards and I'd implore any lurkers to get involved as it's incredibly welcoming.

I'm sure I'll have more to add to this thread but am a bit all over the place until I get back to work/sat at my pc and get my bearings.

Here's to a great 2020

Last edited by DvB; 02-01-2020 at 18:16. Reason: Phone ate some lines!
DvB is offline  
04-01-2020, 22:11   #3
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,727
I've just spotted that the animals and pets forum did a secret Santa. Is it something we might consider over here?
Caranica is offline  
(3) thanks from:
04-01-2020, 22:15   #4
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
I've just spotted that the animals and pets forum did a secret Santa. Is it something we might consider over here?
Yes. I love this idea!
Loughc is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-01-2020, 22:16   #5
Mam of 4
Registered User
 
Mam of 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15,799
Just make sure the recipient likes Candles first

Joking !!
Mam of 4 is offline  
Advertisement
05-01-2020, 12:44   #6
Jude13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loughc View Post
Yes. I love this idea!
After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.
Jude13 is offline  
05-01-2020, 12:49   #7
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.
Pets is more complicated due to variations of species, breeds etc. There was another Irish forum site that has disappeared and we did a Christmas decoration secret Santa one year and every year the beautiful decoration I got reminds me of the craic we used to have on the forums. I remember I got a poster called Alice and I found a beautiful Alice in Wonderland decoration and she loved it (before the days of the Disney shops in Dublin).
Caranica is offline  
(3) thanks from:
05-01-2020, 14:31   #8
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.
I think the biggest problem there would be if someone participated but didn’t send a gift. Then that wouldn’t be very nice or very Christmassy.

The other fear is everyone receives a novelty gift that manages to offend everyone

I do like the idea of a secret Santa Decoration edition at least everyone knows what they’re getting as such.

Definitely an idea worth floating this year and if there’s an appetite we can run with it.
Loughc is offline  
(3) thanks from:
05-01-2020, 20:09   #9
Posy
Warm and cosy
 
Posy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 23,155
I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!
Posy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2020, 20:24   #10
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!
Yeah that’s actually a massive GDPR issue. Scrap that so.

So can do a boards secret Santa by PM when you can send someone a link for whatever you want. It could be a joke, a useful website, a YouTube video etc. That way everyone stay anonymous.
Loughc is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-01-2020, 20:29   #11
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,727
Someone mentioned Elfster on the pets forum as a solution?
Caranica is offline  
06-01-2020, 09:49   #12
TRS30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvB View Post
Enjoyed the year on here, first things first though, thanks to yourself and posy for the excellent modding, always makes life easier on a forum when the mods are fair and clued in, so thanks again guys, you run an excellent ship!

Had an up and down year myself and agree with loughc it's fantastic to have this forum as a vehicle to help deal with the day to day grind, long may it continue as I'd be lost without it at this stage.

I know I've said this loads of times but it really is the friendliest forum on boards and I'd implore any lurkers to get involved as it's incredibly welcoming.

I'm sure I'll have more to add to this thread but am a bit all over the place until I get back to work/sat at my pc and get my bearings.

Here's to a great 2020
Here, Here.

One of my best decisions of last year was to become an active member in here. I found it a great escape from the daily grind and was amazed at how quickly it became a part of my life. Getting to know everyone and sharing in their general life ups and down under a general Christmas umbrella was my highlight of the year. I also especially liked the Know your Elves.

In the outside world the arrival of Elf 3 and having two months off work in the summer to spend with the family were my highlights.
TRS30 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
06-01-2020, 10:09   #13
CheerLouth
Registered User
 
CheerLouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,481
Have loved the year on here! Thanks to both mods! It's become my ritual to sit at my desk, check my work emails, then make a cuppa and log on to catch up with this forum - it genuinely makes me smile every day

Personally, 2019 was a year of up and downs but the highlight was finally tying the knot with Mr. CL Looking forward to an exciting (and busy) 2020 for our family - I'm already planning on being off work for next Christmas so that I can fully enjoy the build up as work was mental this Christmas & I felt I missed the build up that I love so dearly!
CheerLouth is offline  
(5) thanks from:
06-01-2020, 14:17   #14
TRS30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerLouth View Post
Have loved the year on here! Thanks to both mods! It's become my ritual to sit at my desk, check my work emails, then make a cuppa and log on to catch up with this forum - it genuinely makes me smile every day
Twinies
TRS30 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2020, 07:14   #15
Jude13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS30 View Post
Here, Here.

One of my best decisions of last year was to become an active member in here. I found it a great escape from the daily grind and was amazed at how quickly it became a part of my life. Getting to know everyone and sharing in their general life ups and down under a general Christmas umbrella was my highlight of the year. I also especially liked the Know your Elves.

In the outside world the arrival of Elf 3 and having two months off work in the summer to spend with the family were my highlights.
Congrats on the Elf (#3)!! Two months off work, maternity?
Jude13 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet