Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV Thread 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

honeybear wrote: »
    The thing I noticed about the Christmas Day Rte 1 playlist was the ONE MINUTE promo for DWTS. I’m a fan but it hardly merits appearing on the list!

I think they were desperate to have an original show on the listing even if it was for one minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope Michael Collins is shown

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Loughc wrote: »
    The RTE guide will be in the shops on December 9th :)
    Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

TRS30 wrote: »
    Original Gene Wilder one is much better imo

I'm pretty sure Willy Wonka... Is the gene wilder one. Jonny depp's is Charlie and the chocolate factory, which is the actual book title.
    But I could have that the wrong way round

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

No, you're right! Charlie is the book and the newer film. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Any hidden gems coming up on tv we need to know about?

That cliffhanger.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That cliffhanger.....

Surely there's a follow up.... Surely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tell me tomorrow, I'll wait by the window for you.

Hopefully Christmas 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hopefully Christmas 2020.

Well that will be a long wait, I kept looking at my watch wondering how they were going to wrap it up with only a few minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tell me tomorrow, I'll wait by the window for you.
    I would adore a new series

gmisk wrote: »

Not a chance. With how busy James Corden is.

Oops, shouldn't have clicked in here before I watched Gavin and Stacey then! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    Oops, shouldn't have clicked in here before I watched Gavin and Stacey then! :pac:

Sorry!!!

Hopefully nothing too badly was Spoiled.

Well at least I'm prepared for an open ended ending! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Totally setting it up for another special or series, cracking!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

So out of today's viewings, i've managed to watch a bit of Mary Poppins Returns, Home Alone 2, Beauty and the Beast, Call the Midwife, Gavin and Stacey, Mrs. Browns Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Haven'tt watched too much telly yet this Christmas but caught the final 2 episodes of Scrooge on BBC. Thought it was an excellent modern twist on the classic Dickens tale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

gmisk wrote: »

Na, there'll never be another series

Corden is way too busy and there wouldn't be enough material for it in any case really, one-off specials will be the way forward.

Enjoyed it myself. Doesn't touch the previous Christmas special but that's one of my favourite episodes on television ever so it was never going to live up to that

Great to see everyone back and the same as ever. Thought Corden was the star of the show, Smithy really is a superb character. Sonia was a wonderful addition also, played the "Dave Coaches" role of the last special very well.

The casting of Neil the Baby was outstanding - and he's also the actor who played the baby Neil ten years ago - he is so believable as Smithy's son, he's the cut of him!

I'd expect another one next Christmas, they're absolutely laughing all the way to the bank, and the cast clearly loved being back together. It won't take long to put a special together again

• Advertisement

It took in 11.4 million viewers. The highest rated show Christmas Day show since 2008 and that was Wallace and Gromit.

That alone should guarantee a follow up special.

It took in 11.4 million viewers. The highest rated show Christmas Day show since 2008 and that was Wallace and Gromit.

That alone should guarantee a follow up special.

Ruth Jones more or less confirmed it'll happen, just a case of when more than if.

To be fair if they left it at a special in a few years that would do, theres probably not enough material for the lightning in a bottle to be maintained for a full season but if they managed to close out the nessa/smithy arc it would bring a closure to it that I think the vast majority of fans would be happy with.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

DvB wrote: »
    Ruth Jones more or less confirmed it'll happen, just a case of when more than if.

To be fair if they left it at a special in a few years that would do, theres probably not enough material for the lightning in a bottle to be maintained for a full season but if they managed to close out the nessa/smithy arc it would bring a closure to it that I think the vast majority of fans would be happy with.

Yeah I don't think people would have the appetite for a full series focusing mainly on the goings on of the two title characters. All that's left to cover really is an infidelity storyline. If it wasn't a happy themed one off special yesterday I would have been half expecting a twist near the end with Gavin to be revealed as in a sexual relationship with another woman, which would have played off well against the fact himself and Stacey's marriage has lost its initial spice

I believe that angle was considered in an early script, but instead I do think the heartfelt scene of the two on Barry pier worked brilliantly - their marriage may be lacking in sexual spark but the love for one another remains as deep as ever.

Don't think we need a full series to resolve Nessa and Smithy either.

We watched the 'call the midwife' special last night usually enjoy it but thought this years was a bit flat. Though none of the main cast died or departed the show which is a change in itself. It was okay bug not as good as previous Christmas specials.

We've nothing left to watch now of the shows we had pencilled in to watch and have to say thst overall the tv was a tad underwhelming. Enjoyed gavin and stacey, though the new version of a Christmas Carol was decent without being something I'd watch again and the rest was entirely forgettable.

Anyone find anything else worth a watch?

I thought The Christmas Letter was good, narrated by Kate Winslet it was a sweet little story. Reminded me a bit of Angela's Christmas.

And Klaus was an unexpected delight too, for anyone that hasn't watched it yet!

I found most TV this year a bit meh, for the most part.

I thought The Christmas Letter was good, narrated by Kate Winslet it was a sweet little story. Reminded me a bit of Angela's Christmas.

And Klaus was an unexpected delight too, for anyone that hasn't watched it yet!

I’ve yet to watch Klaus but have heard nothing but good things.

And Klaus was an unexpected delight too

My mrs watched it with the kids and said the same, they all really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Lynx cats in Russia on bbc2 was enchanting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am not sure I posted this on here before but Klaus is fantastic, it is defo going to be a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I have to say I thought BBC's new adaptation of A Christmas Carol was very disappointing. A lot of money spent on it meaning it was beautifully shot but it moved too far away from the original material and story.
    Mrs Cratchet was some kind of spirit witch, Marley and other ghosts sitting around a camp fire, sexual abuse of a child and then Scrooge putting Mrs Cratchet through an utter humiliation for money for an operation when he is only a toddler?
    And as for the ending, complete rubbish!
    The makers of this show are not nearly as clever as they think they are, a very poor re-telling of a Christmas classic.

Advertisement