Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2014, 01:42   #1
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Seeing as Christmas threads have started already, it seems like it's time to start a main thread for the topic. It usually works best if we keep all the Christmas dinner-related questions to one thread, that then works as a great resource for everyone! So let this be the 2014 thread

We're thinking of having an orphan's Christmas with some friends here in Vancouver. Bizarrely, it'll be the first Christmas day myself and my fiancé spend together! I'm going to start menu planning soon.

What are you thinking of having?
Advertisement
18-11-2014, 06:22   #2
Banned

"Orphan's Xmas"? is that all your mates who are away from home?

Did something like that 10 years ago in Sydney, cooked dinner in our apartment for 10 people - make sure to distribute jobs to everyone, otherwise it will be you under stress and everyone getting pissed. Get someone to bring starter, and someone else to bring dessert etc

We did almost everything dinner wise, and that was a mistake, because having a kitchen working to make a full Xmas dinner is warm as it is, but in 35+ degree summer Sydney heat it was a killer. You won't have that in Canada though.
18-11-2014, 06:35   #3
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Yep, all* our friends who're staying in Vancouver for Christmas, so won't be with their families.

*Well, a select group anyway

Outsourcing is definitely a good idea!
Thanks from:
18-11-2014, 06:42   #4
Jude13

We had a orphans dinner two years ago here. Got the AC down to 16 so the Christmas jumpers didn't kill us and put snowy/fireplace scenes on the tv screen. Great craic.

We had our Christmas dinner here last weekend to mark a month till we go home. No starters sadly as I just didn't have enough time.

I brined a turkey, then smoked it on the Braai/BBQ. Whilst that was going on I did a ham with Mustard, honey, brown sugar and whiskey glaze. I also did goose fat roaties and the usual veg. The ham was brought back from our last trip to Ireland.

My favorite was the gluten free (GF) stuffing I made for the first time. I baked a loaf of GF bread. I then blitzed it in the food processor. I cooked some GF sausage (bought in Ireland) and blitzed them too. I pan fried finely chopped onions with butter, then added sage and rosemary. Then threw all of the above into a bread tin and into the oven for 20-30 mins. It was delicious.
Thanks from:
18-11-2014, 06:45   #5
Jude13

Last edited by Jude13; 18-11-2014 at 06:49.
Advertisement
18-11-2014, 09:40   #6
StripedBoxers

I have been dying for this thread to start. :O

I don't know what we're doing for Xmas this year, or where we'll be yet, but I'm looking forward to it and getting plenty of ideas/inspiration from this thread.

Last year we got a four bird roast from Aldi and it was horrid, never again. This year we don't know what to do for dinner, himself is thinking goose, but I dunno.

Was thinking maybe good and ham? Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
I brined a turkey, then smoked it on the Braai/BBQ. Whilst that was going on I did a ham with Mustard, honey, brown sugar and whiskey glaze. I also did goose fat roaties and the usual veg. The ham was brought back from our last trip to Ireland.
Can I ask, would you please post the recipe for the ham? I was at a wedding in August and at the canapé reception there was this ham done in a mustard and whiskey glaze, it was unreal. I'd never had it before and I am considering doing it for Xmas, but I'm struggling to find a good recipe, that's been tried and tested.
18-11-2014, 09:51   #7
Jude13

No worries, I score the fat of the ham and insert cloves, I start off really neat but then get bored and just lash them in.

I then place the ham in a deep dish and pour in half a bottle of Magner (drink the left over half). I throw some cloves on top of the cider. I then make a bowl mixed with brown sugar, honey, English mustard and whiskey and put it the mix (not all of it) on the ham. Lash it in the oven covered in foil. After about an hour take the foil off and baste again and again with the mix till the ham is cooked.
18-11-2014, 10:21   #8
Padraig Mor

After 40 odd years of cooking Christmas dinner, my mother is finally taking a break and coming to us for dinner, along with a few other family members! I've never cooked a turkey before so hopefully all goes well!
18-11-2014, 12:52   #9
leahyl

Our Christmas dinner doesn't really change from year to year - which is fine in a way because it's absolutely delicious (God bless you mother!) but I would love to try the baked ham with a glaze sometime - my mum just boils it which is a tad boring...
Advertisement
18-11-2014, 12:54   #10
beertons

HMod: TCH
Deadly, someone started it.
(2) thanks from:
18-11-2014, 13:34   #11
emaleth

Mum does Christmas dinner and will assassinate anyone who suggests bringing a dish, as Christmas is Her Job. She also does it very very well and has six ovens versus my one and a half, so no complaints from me We are doing Thanksgiving though, Mr Emaleth being a Yank, so I'm doing spatchcock turkey, glazed ham, twice baked potatoes, gravy, large amounts of stuffing and an as-yet undetermined token green vegetable. Dessert is maple cream pie. Canapés will be crab, lime and red chili tartlets, plus something else I haven't decided on yet. I may do buttermilk biscuits with chipotle butter as another side dish, depends on how I do timing wise. They freeze very well so if I can, I'll make them and the pastry for canapés and pie and freeze the lot this weekend.
Thanks from:
18-11-2014, 13:50   #12
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig Mor View Post
After 40 odd years of cooking Christmas dinner, my mother is finally taking a break and coming to us for dinner, along with a few other family members! I've never cooked a turkey before so hopefully all goes well!
No pressure then!

We inherited the Christmas Dinner from my Mum a few years ago. Apart from the last hour or so in the kitchen, it's all pretty relaxed. Having kids that wake up at 4am helps with the prep work.

Bought a couple of jars of ginger preserve earlier this year from Aldi. Going to lash it on the baked ham to see what comes out.

Going to brine and then simmer the turkey in stock for a few hours. Here's hoping for some juicy meat.

The only worry really is what to serve the vegan little sister!
18-11-2014, 14:17   #13
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post

The only worry really is what to serve the vegan little sister!
Overcooked Brussels sprouts.
(4) thanks from:
18-11-2014, 14:21   #14
tfak85

Our Christmas dinner changes from year to year, this year I'll be with my husbands family so it's looking like crown of turkey (for those who eat it), leg of lamb and or stuffed pork steak (my personal favourite). For stuffing I use grannys recipe of lots of butter, breadcrumbs, parsley and S&P! My mother in law will make sausage meat stuffing and cook that separately too, it's not something I "get" really. Goose fat roasties, brussel sprouts with honey and bacon, carrot and parsnip in some form or other and hopefully celeriac puree, which I just love!

In my own family home there will only be four people and so they are planning a seven course tasting menu! I'm not jealous at all....
18-11-2014, 14:37   #15
bennyineire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedBoxers View Post
I have been dying for this thread to start. :O

I don't know what we're doing for Xmas this year, or where we'll be yet, but I'm looking forward to it and getting plenty of ideas/inspiration from this thread.

Last year we got a four bird roast from Aldi and it was horrid, never again. This year we don't know what to do for dinner, himself is thinking goose, but I dunno.

Was thinking maybe good and ham? Not sure though.

Can I ask, would you please post the recipe for the ham? I was at a wedding in August and at the canapé reception there was this ham done in a mustard and whiskey glaze, it was unreal. I'd never had it before and I am considering doing it for Xmas, but I'm struggling to find a good recipe, that's been tried and tested.
I tried goose one year, very little meat and tough as boots, wouldn't bother with it again

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion