Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Pubs of Christmas

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Our annual 12 Pubs of Christmas is in two weeks time and I am compiling the rules of play for this year. Looking for a few new suggestions to mix things up a bit from last year.

Here are last year's rules:

Pub 1
    Everyone must be wearing some form of tacky Christmas attire.

Pub 2
    No names may be used – this includes well known nicknames

Pub 3
    No use of mobile phones

Pub 4
    No one is allowed to go to the toilet

Pub 5
    Anyone heard uttering a curse word must pay a fine.

Pub 6
    You must hold hands with a partner the whole time you are in this pub (partners will be drawn from a hat).

Pub 7
    Everyone must produce an item they’ve stolen from somewhere along the way.

Between Pub 7 and Pub 8 we will travel as Riverdancers – everyone must Irish dance their way to Pub 8.

Pub 8
    You must swap an item of clothing with a person of the opposite sex.

Pub 9
    Partners will be drawn from a hat. You must buy your partners drink. You may decide what to buy them and they must drink it or a fine must be paid.

Pub 10
    Drink with your opposite hand. You must drink with the wrong hand while in Pub 10. If you drink with your normal hand you must pay a fine.

Pub 11
    You must be able to still consume a full drink

Pub 12
    You must stay awake

If someone breaks a rule they pay 50c into the Fine Box, the contents at the end of the night go to charity.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love doing the 12 pubs, myself and my friends are in the mist of planning our 4th Annual One.

Some cracking rules there, love the idea of Pub 10 rule, could have some serious fun with that, same with Pub 4 haha.

You should def introduce a late-comer fine. I find EVERY Year very few people start at pub 1 and we pick up people on the way, usually Pub 5 is when we peak numbers wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

We are doing the 12 pubs as usual this year, but we aren't doing it til the 22nd. A bit later than i'd like, but it will be a great day and night anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Ahh, never thought of rules per pub, have now "borrowed" your idea :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ispini1984 wrote: »
    Ahh, never thought of rules per pub, have now "borrowed" your idea :D

Good luck getting people to stick to them, haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Good luck getting people to stick to them, haha!

I may think of "strict" rules. Id hate to tape one of the guys to a telephone pole :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Well the rules are good fun up to about Pub 8, then it usually all goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Wouldn't be too into the rules myself. Pint per pub move on every half hour is perfect really. The rules would be too hard to stick to and would lead to unnecessary arguments in later pubs when everyone is well on it you'd imagine

Would rather just relax and enjoy every pub but each to their own :pac:

Doing one next friday. I can see it going a bit haywire though, nobody keeping the time properly and having to wait for the slow ones to finish their pints :D

Should be nice craic though

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭padski08

Doing ours on Saturday

We have only 1 rule, each person must drink at least 1 alcoholic drink in each pub

Keeps it simple and no need to keep checking what rule is next

Christmas attire is of course encouraged, about 15-20 of us this year but we pick up people along way who cant make the start

Penneys are actually selling "12 Pubs" sweatshirts with rules on them! Saw them in the menswear section in Galway today, €14. Might make it easy for you all to recognize each other in a crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justbehindyou

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Penneys are actually selling "12 Pubs" sweatshirts with rules on them! Saw them in the menswear section in Galway today, €14. Might make it easy for you all to recognize each other in a crowd!

I got the t-shirts last year in dublin and good for spotting the group. Our time limit was 15 minutes to drink your pint or two bottles when you get them. if your not finished you get left behind.... Eating is cheating.....

• Advertisement

I got the t-shirts last year in dublin and good for spotting the group. Our time limit was 15 minutes to drink your pint or two bottles when you get them. if your not finished you get left behind.... Eating is cheating.....

Actually, I think "Eating is cheating" was the first rule! Had babs with me, so didn't have two free hands to have a good look :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KittenKev

padski08 wrote: »
    Doing ours on Saturday

We have only 1 rule, each person must drink at least 1 alcoholic drink in each pub

Keeps it simple and no need to keep checking what rule is next

Christmas attire is of course encouraged, about 15-20 of us this year but we pick up people along way who cant make the start

Its deffo better keeping it simple...sure every1 will still have a great laugh anywas..

Bumping this thread as I'm going to be organizing my local 5th Annual 12 Pubs of Christmas and after years of wearing heavy wooly Christmas jumpers I am looking for alternative, lighter ideas for what to wear.

Was thinking of Christmas Cardigans/Christmas Waistcoats. If anyone knows of a place selling these or have any other suggestions let me know :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know Ryan Tubridy has come under fire for wanting to wear a Christmas shirt for The Toy Show from The Christmas Shirt Company so that could be an alternative?

Posy wrote: »
    I know Ryan Tubridy has come under fire for wanting to wear a Christmas shirt for The Toy Show from The Christmas Shirt Company so that could be an alternative?

I Love them Posy! Great idea! I still want to look festive while not boiling to death in the packed pubs haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Problem with the Christmas jumpers is that bouncers can see you coming miles away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Our annual 12 Pubs of Christmas is in two weeks time and I am compiling the rules of play for this year. Looking for a few new suggestions to mix things up a bit from last year.

Here are last year's rules:

Pub 1
    Everyone must be wearing some form of tacky Christmas attire.

Pub 2
    No names may be used – this includes well known nicknames

Pub 3
    No use of mobile phones

Pub 4
    No one is allowed to go to the toilet

Pub 5
    Anyone heard uttering a curse word must pay a fine.

Pub 6
    You must hold hands with a partner the whole time you are in this pub (partners will be drawn from a hat).

Pub 7
    Everyone must produce an item they’ve stolen from somewhere along the way.

Between Pub 7 and Pub 8 we will travel as Riverdancers – everyone must Irish dance their way to Pub 8.

Pub 8
    You must swap an item of clothing with a person of the opposite sex.

Pub 9
    Partners will be drawn from a hat. You must buy your partners drink. You may decide what to buy them and they must drink it or a fine must be paid.

Pub 10
    Drink with your opposite hand. You must drink with the wrong hand while in Pub 10. If you drink with your normal hand you must pay a fine.

Pub 11
    You must be able to still consume a full drink

Pub 12
    You must stay awake

If someone breaks a rule they pay 50c into the Fine Box, the contents at the end of the night go to charity.

Great. If you come near my pub we will set the dogs on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

How about bow ties or musical ties? Last year alot of pubs wouldn't let people in who had jumpers or tshirts on. At least with the ties you could hide them on the way in!!

Advertisement