Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2013, 21:53   #1
Loughc

How to beat the January Blues??

Like most here I adore Christmas and I love everything about it, the build up, the shopping, the buzz, the holidays everything, and when the season is over I am seriously down in the dumps. This year more so than has hit me hard, I was back in work Wednesday and that was heartbreaking!!! Took down the decorations today which was also upsetting, I think it's hurting more this year as I am living in Dublin with my beautiful girlfriend but all of my family and friends who I saw or the Christmas live back home in tipp.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle the jan blues????
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2013, 21:54   #2
stampydmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie1983 View Post
Like most here I adore Christmas and I love everything about it, the build up, the shopping, the buzz, the holidays everything, and when the season is over I am seriously down in the dumps. This year more so than has hit me hard, I was back in work Wednesday and that was heartbreaking!!! Took down the decorations today which was also upsetting, I think it's hurting more this year as I am living in Dublin with my beautiful girlfriend but all of my family and friends who I saw or the Christmas live back home in tipp.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle the jan blues????
Do exercise..can't beat it
06-01-2013, 22:45   #3
funnights74

After you take down the decorations, and cleared all the dust, give the place a coat of paint, it brightens up the place and keeps ya busy.
Thanks from:
06-01-2013, 23:17   #4
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnights74 View Post
After you take down the decorations, and cleared all the dust, give the place a coat of paint, it brightens up the place and keeps ya busy.
It's a rented place so don't think I'll be doing that. But I have been cleaning like a mad man to keep myself busy.
06-01-2013, 23:24   #5
carolinespring

Plan something nice to day. We have booked a play so that is something nice to look forward to. Plus January is the month I do a lot of reading so stock up on some books (or Dvds) and enjoy some cozy nights in.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2013, 00:39   #6
Posy
Warm and cosy

Definitely having something to look forward to helps.
I have a big enough event late January and am having a big girly dinner/night out at the end of January. I'm already planning getting my hair done, buying an outfit for the event I'm going to etc. January flies in when you've a lot going on. There's a week of it over already thank goodness!!
Thanks from:
07-01-2013, 02:32   #7
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
Definitely having something to look forward to helps.
I have a big enough event late January and am having a big girly dinner/night out at the end of January. I'm already planning getting my hair done, buying an outfit for the event I'm going to etc. January flies in when you've a lot going on. There's a week of it over already thank goodness!!

I'm currently in the process of booking a weekend in Kilkenny at the end of Jan it's my anniversary with my go then. So I have that to look forward to, I suppose after that its a case of take each month as it comes.

Love the DVD and book idea and I have already began pulling together a collection for 2013 to watch and read!

I still think we should set up a support group meet once a month and talk of Christmases gone
Thanks from:
14-01-2013, 09:20   #8
Loughc

So how's everyone surviving January so far?

I'm getting over my blues, going away this weekend and having a 4 day week this week certainly helps. Still missing the Christmas season and the apt still looks weird without the tree.

How are all ye getting on?
14-01-2013, 12:18   #9
fishy fishy

you need to book a sun holiday in January - it gives you something to dream about during the long winter months of January and February. You can do some research on the area you will be visiting - it definitely keeps the january blues away. There are some great sun holiday deals in January.

otherwise, just plan a couple of days away in Ireland.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2013, 01:19   #10
milli milli

I am a big winter fan so don't mind January or February at all. In fact I love the cold days and cosy nights.
If I get the January blues it's because Christmas is over and everyone is back to normal which is depressing.

I wouldn't go near a sun holiday now - it would have to be a snowy place!!
Did anyone see Donal Skeehan's Christmas special on Christmas Eve? He filmed his cooking show in some magical snow covered land - think it was Switzerland? Wherever it was, it was very traditional with wooden cabins and little markets in the middle of a snow covered forest. It was delightful and I would just love to go somewhere like that.

I was watching it with my Mum and Auntie and we jokingly said how it would be wonderful to spend Christmas in a place like that. We could forgo the presents and save money to go there.
I said it to my brother last week and he was all on for it. Now we are not well off by any means and would have to save up to go there but wow, it would be a dream come true
Thanks from:
15-01-2013, 11:19   #11
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by milli milli View Post
I am a big winter fan so don't mind January or February at all. In fact I love the cold days and cosy nights.
If I get the January blues it's because Christmas is over and everyone is back to normal which is depressing.

I wouldn't go near a sun holiday now - it would have to be a snowy place!!
Did anyone see Donal Skeehan's Christmas special on Christmas Eve? He filmed his cooking show in some magical snow covered land - think it was Switzerland? Wherever it was, it was very traditional with wooden cabins and little markets in the middle of a snow covered forest. It was delightful and I would just love to go somewhere like that.

I was watching it with my Mum and Auntie and we jokingly said how it would be wonderful to spend Christmas in a place like that. We could forgo the presents and save money to go there.
I said it to my brother last week and he was all on for it. Now we are not well off by any means and would have to save up to go there but wow, it would be a dream come true
Agree with that, it's the going back to normality that's the most depressing thing. Getting used to it tho!

I would to go somewhere snowy and cold for a holiday, but def not for Christmas, Christmas is to be spent in Ireland, no better place I tells ye!
Thanks from:
28-01-2013, 20:12   #12

Don't get too complacent, it's only 331 days to Christmas 2013. Better start developing your list and arranging for it to get checked- never too early you know.
Thanks from:
28-01-2013, 20:42   #13
Tipsy McSwagger

Gonna head to New York in November so that's something to look forward to.
(2) thanks from:
28-01-2013, 22:19   #14
ChewChew
SADISTIC HEARTLESS BITCH

I refuse to take the Christmas wallpaper off my phone. Down. Right. Refuse.
29-01-2013, 01:16   #15
Posy
Warm and cosy

I only took mine off the phone two days ago. It was a sad moment.

For a moment I thought you meant actual Christmas wallpaper. I was like, wow, that's dedication to the festivities!
(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion