Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could I make Light heavyweight??

• 31-03-2013 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm 6 foot on the button and currently weigh about 180 pounds. I'm naturally explosive and powerful but have bad cardio. I'd like to fight at the highest weight class possible. As it is I train in boxing and will start training judo in the summer switching to wrestling when I go to college(theres no wrestling club in my area judos the only option and I figure any training is better than no training. ) as it is im very lean and naturally built but not jacked with muscle, well muscled but not jacked. the closest I could compare my build to would be ryan bader only slightly shorter, slightly broader but nowhere near as well muscled. i don't feel moving up in weight would have that many negative effects. alot of my friends are over 6'4 and 14 stone and I best them for strength in things like arm wrestling and football or rugby and I have sparred with opponents this size and I haven't found it a problem. I'm naturally explosive which I feel could benefit me against larger opponents and I feel my cardio might not be as badly exposed as it currently is against naturally smaller opponents. I'd like to fight light heavyweight but is that too much of a push??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Big jump, a lot of light heavyweights walk around at 220+.

Why so keen on that weight? Surely a weight you're right for will be a lot safer.

Have you had any fights yet at any weight? If not try out 185, see how you get on for a few fights then see if you want to go up

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FERGAL7

scudzilla wrote: »
    Big jump, a lot of light heavyweights walk around at 220+.

Why so keen on that weight? Surely a weight you're right for will be a lot safer.

Have you had any fights yet at any weight? If not try out 185, see how you get on for a few fights then see if you want to go up

I know alot of them would walk around at that weight but I'm 180 with practically no excess weight and not huge muscle mass but I don't take any supplements so I would imagine with my build theres room there to grow. at 18 I was just thinking by the time I'm 20 would 205 be feasible?? ya I fight at middleweight in boxing. I'd have a huge strength advantage and speed is above and on par with anyone I've fought but cardio is always a problem against most naturally smaller middleweights :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So you've not fought MMA at all yet? If i were you i'd totally forget this LHW notion, try out at Middleweight (185) or even give 170 a go.

Sure ya may well have the best cardio in the world at 205 but what point is it if you're gonna be thrown around like a rag doll by a guy much much bigger than you

If you carry as little fat/conditioning as you claim if you train and eat appropriately you should find 205lbs not at all out of the question by the time you're 20.

However if you also have such a strength advaantage as it is over competitors in your weight class currently surely working on the cardio would be an idea :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    If you carry as little fat/conditioning as you claim if you train and eat appropriately you should find 205lbs not at all out of the question by the time you're 20.

However if you also have such a strength advaantage as it is over competitors in your weight class currently surely working on the cardio would be an idea :)

Well I do alot of cardio as it is but it just wouldn't be one of my natural assets compared to smaller guys at middleweight. I was always one of those kids who was great at short distance sprints but terrible at long distance runs if ya get my drift. when I spar with larger guys i actually find it a bit more comfortable due to the speed advantage but thats boxing, mma's a different sport and I would assume due to grappling strength plays a bigger role?? I don't know much about strength and conditioning what would gaining that much muscle do for me strength wise and would it affect my speed??

• Advertisement

It won't be just muscle, your bone mass will increase too, both my growing (at 18 you're not fully developed) and also weight training can kick off some more new bone growth.

Before getting concerned about what weight you'll compete at I'd be more inclined to get on with learning the sport etc. You might hate it and go back to the boxing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Gain weight and you're throwing away any strength advantages you may have at middleweight, get to a good MMA gym and do what your coach advises.

If he advises you to move to Light heavyweight I'd probably guess the coach has no clue about competitive fighting.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Gain weight and you're throwing away any strength advantages you may have at middleweight, get to a good MMA gym and do what your coach advises.

If he advises you to move to heavyweight I'd probably guess the coach has no clue about competitive fighting.

well yes I would imagine heavyweight's out of my realm I'd have to gain about five stone :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Google Cathal Prendrant. He's 77kg. And taller than you. If you dwarf him then sure go for lhw

Arawn wrote: »
    Google Cathal Prendrant. He's 77kg. And taller than you. If you dwarf him then sure go for lhw

well im about ten pound heavier as it is and i wouldnt have near that much muscle yet so where does that leave me??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

means drop to a smaller weight class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It sounds like you're getting way ahead of yourself here. Why not just join a good club and start training, and dont think too much into what weight you're at right now. Start by getting into a reputable club first and then you and your coach can have a chat about what's best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree with most of the posts above, you are getting way ahead of yourself. If you want to compete in MMA, then you should join an mma club imo. The weight you should fight at is decided by the weight you are when you are ready to compete. Simple as that really.
    FERGAL7 wrote: »
    I know alot of them would walk around at that weight but I'm 180 with practically no excess weight and not huge muscle mass but I don't take any supplements so I would imagine with my build theres room there to grow.
    No excess weight would mean that you were ripped or very lean. If you are, then you are currently sized for Welterweight (170lbs) in my opinion.
    There's no supplements that will make you grow any more than food will.
    at 18 I was just thinking by the time I'm 20 would 205 be feasible?? ya I fight at middleweight in boxing. I'd have a huge strength advantage and speed is above and on par with anyone I've fought but cardio is always a problem against most naturally smaller middleweights :P
    If cardio is your problem, then work on your cardio. It's far far easier to improve cardio for a 3 x 5 minutes than it is to add 30lbs. Your solution to fight bigger guys for a cardio and speed advantage a poor idea.

Having a strength advantage over random mates doesn't mean you have the same over people with any sort if proper training. I know that "do you even lift bro" is a bit cliche, but what do you currently squat, deadlift, press, bench etc. It's still a pretty good measure of strength for weight.
    If you put in the work overbthe next 2 years, maybe you'll end up being most suitable for 205 after all. But worry about that when it comes to it.

well im about ten pound heavier as it is and i wouldnt have near that much muscle yet so where does that leave me??
    I'd be surprised if Cathal Was much less than 185lbs when he steps in the cage and he is strong as fook. At 6 foot you want to fight at 77kg, pretty sure myles price is over 6 foot and fights at 70. You want to be a monster at a smaller weight not the guy who beefs up a few weight classes just to make weight

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with most of the posts above, you are getting way ahead of yourself. If you want to compete in MMA, then you should join an mma club imo. The weight you should fight at is decided by the weight you are when you are ready to compete. Simple as that really.

No excess weight would mean that you were ripped or very lean. If you are, then you are currently sized for Welterweight (170lbs) in my opinion.
    There's no supplements that will make you grow any more than food will.

If cardio is your problem, then work on your cardio. It's far far easier to improve cardio for a 3 x 5 minutes than it is to add 30lbs. Your solution to fight bigger guys for a cardio and speed advantage a poor idea.

Having a strength advantage over random mates doesn't mean you have the same over people with any sort if proper training. I know that "do you even lift bro" is a bit cliche, but what do you currently squat, deadlift, press, bench etc. It's still a pretty good measure of strength for weight.
    If you put in the work overbthe next 2 years, maybe you'll end up being most suitable for 205 after all. But worry about that when it comes to it.

I know I'm a long way off competing in mma was just curious. well a lot of them mates I was on about are on county football teams and spend alot of time doing strength and conditioning. I don't squat that much because I don't have the equipment at home and don't have the time to go to the gym with exams this year so I prefer to do things like hill training for my legs. well my max curl is 60 kg(30 in each arm), dumbell press would be 70 kg, shoulder dumbell press 50 kg and I can bench 100 kg. whenever I am in a gym I can squat about 120 kg. never dead lifted because I don't have the right technique and didn't want to hurt myself and the local gym is pretty small with no qualified trainer who could show me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

This is quality entertainment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

pretty sure myles price is over 6 foot and fights at 70.
    Nah. Myles is the same height as myself. Around 5'10"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

I'm 6 foot on the button and currently weigh about 180 pounds. I'm naturally explosive and powerful but have bad cardio. I'd like to fight at the highest weight class possible. As it is I train in boxing and will start training judo in the summer switching to wrestling when I go to college(theres no wrestling club in my area judos the only option and I figure any training is better than no training. ) as it is im very lean and naturally built but not jacked with muscle, well muscled but not jacked. the closest I could compare my build to would be ryan bader only slightly shorter, slightly broader but nowhere near as well muscled. i don't feel moving up in weight would have that many negative effects. alot of my friends are over 6'4 and 14 stone and I best them for strength in things like arm wrestling and football or rugby and I have sparred with opponents this size and I haven't found it a problem. I'm naturally explosive which I feel could benefit me against larger opponents and I feel my cardio might not be as badly exposed as it currently is against naturally smaller opponents. I'd like to fight light heavyweight but is that too much of a push??

Too much of a push ? You have got to stop being so modest. You should fight at LHW first then after you win that belt move up and capture the HW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've got the speed of a HW and the strength of a BW. What weight would I fight at?

Nah. Myles is the same height as myself. Around 5'10"

I always thought he was taller, I may start walking with better posture so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I always thought he was taller, I may start walking with better posture so!
    Still tallish for a lightweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

if you're 6 foot and you want to fight MMA and you're 18 then you won't know what weight you'll 'suit' until you reach your man-size - prob about 3 years from now and if you spend the next 3 years training 3 times a week in a 'decent' MMA gym and eating smart then you're gona build explosive muscle basically everywhere and get animalisticly cardio fit.
    MMA has gotten to such a total-approach scientific level at this stage there's very little point in thinking you'll be the one who doesn't need to be as big and tall and long as possible in your chosen weight group and beat guys who are.
    find out if your 'frame' is considered light or heavy or normal. If you have a light frame then take that 6 foot height into the lightest bracket you can possibly make and then change your body around that goal to make a strong quick good cardio 170/185 lber out of yourself which will really give you a great chance at makin waves! You wouldn't believe how BIG guys can be walking down the street compared to weigh in before fight night! Guys can literally weigh 215 at 6 foot 2 and make 170 come weigh in day and 24 hours later be 195 lbs for the fight. They don't go to all that trouble for fun - there's very simple reasons you want to be as big and long as possible in your chosen weight group. Makes everything easier - from jabbing to kicking to submissions. MMA came about from the efforts of people trying to work out how to beat a bigger guy in a real fight - hence BJJ - but now that MMA has finally become a total 360 degree martial art system in and of itself - trainers know exactly how to 'optimize' a fighter for a chosen weight group - The idea is simply to become superhuman - think Rory McDonald - the superior modern MMA athlete. Rory started at 16 at 155 lb and moved up from there and can easily fight at 185 now but by the time YOU fight B-rules you'll be pretty much muscled-up to your natural man-size. Remember that big muscles need more blood and need to be built along side MMA specific stamina training or you'll just end up big and tired after your first guillotine attempt. Train hard, eat an MMA training specific diet, keep your body fat down and you'll end up in your natural weight group. Be as explosively strong as you can possibly be without hulking yourself up into a weight group where you'll be fighting taller longer guys every fight. It's about a balance - GSP has it perfect - Rory McDonald possibly has it even more perfect. Get the Rush Fit series and look at how he builds muscle - or pick a fighter you like who's got a shape/fitness you think you can reach and emulate them in your approach.

I'll just go stick a future bet on you down in PP now : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Fighting isn't all about muscle and bulk, good technique and cardio are just as important if not more important. Join a club, get comfortable with training, work on your cardio and learn as much as possible. Then, sit down with your coach and make a call on where you want to be.

Advertisement