Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google drive price drop

Options
  • 13-03-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Google have reduced the cost of their monthly storage plans quite a bit. Seems like a good deal compared to the competition.

http://googleblog.blogspot.ie/2014/03/save-more-with-google-drive.html?m=1

We've lowered the price of our monthly storage plans to $1.99 for 100GB (previously $4.99), $9.99 for 1TB (previously $49.99), and $99.99 for 10TB, with even more storage available if you need it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Google have reduced the cost of their monthly storage plans quite a bit. Seems like a good deal compared to the competition.

We've lowered the price of our monthly storage plans to $1.99 for 100GB (previously $4.99), $9.99 for 1TB (previously $49.99), and $99.99 for 10TB, with even more storage available if you need it.
    So with VAT for 100GB it comes to 2.45$ or €1.76 a month! That is a great price.

Only for the fact I already have 75GB and only use 10GB I would be upgrading again. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How are their terms and conditions re privacy etc? Good price though

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

TheDriver wrote: »
    How are their terms and conditions re privacy etc? Good price though

Nothing worse than search, Android, Gmail or Youtube. If you use any of those services their isn't really an excuse to not use Drive. You've already sold your soul...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

I can't understand why anyone would entrust his personal data/information to the company that is mad about spying everything and everybody. And even decide to PAY for that! There is so many cheaper and better options.

- smiple ARM-based linux server (the best and most flexible option)
    - NAS with remote access
    - router with remote access
    - Pogoplug (the easiest option)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

ecomac wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would entrust his personal data/information to the company that is mad about spying everything and everybody. And even decide to PAY for that! There is so many cheaper and better options.

- NAS with remote access

Your data is safer with Google than it is with any of these options. Can you imagine if everyone went this route? Most people can barely use a computer for simple functions never mind maintaining a secure home server. Instead of having Google "steal" your information it would be available to anyone with the know-how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

- NAS with remote access

I`d hazard a guess that 99% of the people in the world would not have a clue what you are talking about in the four options above!

Your data is safer with Google than it is with any of these options.

Yes - in the meaning you won't loose your data, but NO in any other way. Your personal data is not personal anymore. It will be alalysed and backed up forever. Even if you decide to delete it, it will still stay there.
    Can you imagine if everyone went this route?

Yes. There is (almost) no broadband usage limits anymore and upload rates up to 20Mbits with new fibre broadband. And it is simple, but if you are real computer noob - get plug an play Pogoplug or someone taht will do this for you.

Anyhow - this is only my humble opinion. I'm not going to stop you to share your personal information with anyone. Feel free to do so if you like. This is/was your personal information afterall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

More like 99.999%. Pogoplug sounds more like a sex toy....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm no genius and I have a NAS set up with a 2TB drive in it. I just put the hard drive in and turned it on. Not rocket science. It is easy to set up remote access too.

Don't understand why anyone would pay a fee per month for a company to host their stuff to be honest. Especially not with google anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

THE greatest pile of sh**e I've ever had the misfortune to plug in to a socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Be careful, I upgraded before and had 100Gbs but after a while I didnt need it anymore so cancelled.

What I didnt know is it would resetmy storage limit back to the default amount so all those extra GB I picked up from speical offers e.g google docs app etc.. were gone.

long_b wrote: »
    THE greatest pile of sh**e I've ever had the misfortune to plug in to a socket.

Still better than google drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Still better than google drive.

I'm pretty fine with using Google Drive. Can share data if I need to and there's nothing that the NSA would get much particular use out of on my account. I have plenty of hard drives backing stuff up. Backing up online results in a far lower chance of data loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yes - in the meaning you won't loose your data, but NO in any other way. Your personal data is not personal anymore. It will be alalysed and backed up forever. Even if you decide to delete it, it will still stay there.

Yes. There is (almost) no broadband usage limits anymore and upload rates up to 20Mbits with new fibre broadband. And it is simple, but if you are real computer noob - get plug an play Pogoplug or someone taht will do this for you.

Anyhow - this is only my humble opinion. I'm not going to stop you to share your personal information with anyone. Feel free to do so if you like. This is/was your personal information afterall ;)

All they are interested in is serving adverts, they don't go through your **** looking for gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

- NAS with remote access

Where are you keeping those storage options. Have you considered fire or flood? All decent options but all on site storage. Saying all that I do agree with taking great care sharing personal data.

webels wrote: »
    Have you considered fire or flood?

In that case the lost data would be the least of my worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

Who is the house Insurance with in that case though if the documents are damaged/destroyed. Although many insurance companies send email confirmation. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Very true.
    But if it was backed up off site then it wouldn't be a worry (or potential loss) to begin with.

If you don't care about losing what is on your nas etc then fair enough no need to consider remote backup.

However if you value family photos and videos then remote backup is not something that should be ignored.

It's a good price reduction / bargain nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm no genius and I have a NAS set up with a 2TB drive in it. I just put the hard drive in and turned it on. Not rocket science. It is easy to set up remote access too.

Don't understand why anyone would pay a fee per month for a company to host their stuff to be honest. Especially not with google anyway.

Genuine question, how easy is it to access your NAS from outside your network?
    Big selling point for Google drive is easy cloud access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If you're going to be a cheapskate at least keep a disk/nas box in a relatives house. I send drives off for data recovery all the time for people that thought they didn't have anything important. The last one cost €360 to recover a single excel file for revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Good bargain. Handy for storing backups of photos and video and non private documents.
    I also find it great for sharing docs and calendars etc between people like club members for example

I have a legacy package of 20gb for the princely sum of $5 per year and I have the additional 15gb from Gmail etc but it's starting to get full so maybe this is a way of getting people like me off the really cheap older plans

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Genuine question, how easy is it to access your NAS from outside your network?
    Big selling point for Google drive is easy cloud access.

Simple.

Turn on UPNP on your router. Login to the admin panel of the NAS (mine is a ZyXEL NSA310) and go to the UPnP Port Mapping section under network. Tick to activate the FTP/HTTP over WAN and select the wan port. Done.

Type your home IP into your browser from wherever you are followed by ':' and the port you choose. Done.

I started downloading a file from home so you can see the speed I get (from germany).
    k8zbozB.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You'll understand when your NAS self destructs in a year down the road and you end up paying a data recovery company a small fortune to get past it's proprietary storage system.

http://www.artiss.co.uk/2012/09/zyxel-nsa310-nas-and-issues-with-the-latest-firmware

If you must do it yourself, use backuppc on Linux - a great piece of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Type your home IP into your browser from wherever you are followed by ':' and the port you choose. Done.
    ]

Excuse my ignorance but isn't that assuming you've got a static IP from your ISP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I upload a lot to Google Drive and I don't worry about Privacy at all. I trust Google with my data and even if someone did get hold of everything which they can't all they see would be pictures of my dog and Selfies of me and my girlfriend! Oh and some school stuff.

professore wrote: »
    You'll understand when your NAS self destructs in a year down the road and you end up paying a data recovery company a small fortune to get past it's proprietary storage system.

http://www.artiss.co.uk/2012/09/zyxel-nsa310-nas-and-issues-with-the-latest-firmware

If you must do it yourself, use backuppc on Linux - a great piece of software.

Looks like it would be best if I don't do any FW upgrades then? I never have. If it aint broke..
    Everything important is available on my work drives. My family pics are always backed up to a separate SD card and stored in my safe. I have them on my NAS for remote access though. So if it fails all I will really lose is about 1.5TB of TV shows/movies. I'll get over it.
    Excuse my ignorance but isn't that assuming you've got a static IP from your ISP?

I guess. My IP has always been static with Eircom/UPC. There is always the free no-ip.org though if you have a dynamic IP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

True. Most ISPs do not provide static IP addresses as standard, there is usually a fee for this.

Dyndns would solve this issue, if you had some sort of box to constantly update your external IP. I have a raspberry pi that does it.

But to be honest, if you just want to backup photos and the likes, just pay for the google drive, all this tinfoil hat stuff doesn't apply to most. Your holiday pics are of no use to anyone but you.

And if you do have a problem with storing them on googles servers, just put them in an encrypted volume. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a bargain compared to the previous price of it. Dropbox had always been over priced - now in comparison it looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice. I've a NAS at home with 15TB of storage and a few backups for the real important stuff. If anything ever went wrong I would have a lot of manual work to get things restored. I had been looking at elephant for remote storage, it is easy to sync it to my NAS but the prices were putting me off. These drive plans are great value, I'll probably take advantage of them and create my own rsync script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Pyro Boy wrote: »

It is worth pointing out that Google previously charged per year, then they hiked the prices and storage limits when they changed to charging per month, now they have reduced the prices per month. However, the new prices annualised are more expensive for certain data ranges than the original prices they are just easier on the eye when quoted as monthly prices. Anyway, the new prices are good value.

Advertisement