Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-06-2018, 11:02   #31
VeVeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Dangerfield View Post
Some good deals to be had instore if my experience is anything to go by. I picked up an HDMI-VGA adaptor and brought it to the counter. Your man scanned it at €13-14, after the 50% discount. Then said "**** it", scanned a keyring instead and have me the adaptor for 99c.
You walked in for a bargain and said Maplins employee has as a swan song turned you into a criminal. You're now handling stolen goods and an accessory to a robbery, bargain.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2018, 11:50   #32
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerframe View Post
I will miss the Galway branch slightly.

It used to pass half an hour, walking around, buying nothing, while the wife was buying shtuff in Woodies.
LOL, literally exactly the same as me and the missus but at the Cork store!
(3) thanks from:
07-06-2018, 12:04   #33
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Dangerfield View Post
Some good deals to be had instore if my experience is anything to go by. I picked up an HDMI-VGA adaptor and brought it to the counter. Your man scanned it at €13-14, after the 50% discount. Then said "**** it", scanned a keyring instead and have me the adaptor for 99c.
Thats not Maplin giving you a bargain thats staff knowing they are gone from tomorrow not giving a sh1t anymore.

"Yer man scanned it at €13 euro after the 50% discount". So it would have been €26?!? I got one from Amazon recently for 6 quid delivered. Probably the same one.
Thanks from:
07-06-2018, 12:24   #34
Sebastian Dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
"Yer man scanned it at €13 euro after the 50% discount". So it would have been €26?!? I got one from Amazon recently for 6 quid delivered. Probably the same one.
Yep
07-06-2018, 12:38   #35
realdanbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
Thats not Maplin giving you a bargain thats staff knowing they are gone from tomorrow not giving a sh1t anymore.

Got them in Techpart Limerick for €3.50.
Maplin were always 100% dearer and in general only sold to customers who were clueless about what they were looking for.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-06-2018, 12:43   #36
LowOdour

Anyone tell me if all stores are shutting down the same day? Could do with popping in to the Galway store, see if I can haggle prices of a few cables/converters im looking for
08-06-2018, 17:32   #37
ozmo

Is there a day yet set for the closIng?
08-06-2018, 18:03   #38
Solaris10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo View Post
Is there a day yet set for the closIng?
Monday
10-06-2018, 10:15   #39

Maplin will be returning as an online operation.

The name and domain name have been purchased by the Buy it Direct group. (laptopsdirect, appliancesdirect etc)
http://www.buyitdirect.co.uk/

Suggests prices will drop but service level will be, er, em, no comment.
Advertisement
10-06-2018, 12:32   #40
xpletiv

Had a peek through window today near Jervis, theres nearly nothing left.
10-06-2018, 12:43   #41
VanZan

Place in Limerick was handy for having a look around at the tech stuff. Clean, tidy, well stocked and plenty of room to wander around. God forbid I'd buy something though.........If I saw something good I'd go home and order it on Amazon for a sensible price. Nearly fell over when I saw they were also charging for their catalogue...think it was a tenner. I almost left with it expecting it to be free like in Argos. On the rare occasion I did purchase something then it would have to be like 80% off i.e the price for it online.

How the f*ck did they last as long as they did?
Thanks from:
10-06-2018, 18:41   #42
dog tired
Banned

Gonna miss Maplin. It was handy for items that you needed in a hurry or small cheap items and you didn't need anything else from Amazon to get the free delivery. But it was expensive.
Thanks from:
10-06-2018, 18:53   #43
theteal

The one beside our office at St. Paul’s still has a week left. I picked up an akasa cooler for a fiver in Friday, nothing special but a bargain nonetheless. I’ll keep an eye next week as we’re refurbishing the living room so I may try and snag some coax and satellite cable on the cheap - theyve bundles on the stuff from what I can see.
12-06-2018, 00:13   #44
xpletiv

anyone get any final day bargains so?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion