Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangkok

• 21-10-2019 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Need to travel to Bangkok at the end of next month for a few days and I have a few queries. Firstly, on researching flights, I keep finding flights via Moscow with Aeroflot that are considerably cheaper than the other options, €150+ cheaper to be more precise. The total journey time is very similar to the other options. Do I need to get a visa for my transfer in Moscow airport, for example. Just wondering if there is something I am missing. Secondly, can anyone recommend a district in Bangkok for a quiet four or five star hotel. Lastly, what is the visa situation in Thailand? Can I get one on arrival or do I need to apply for one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Berserker wrote:
    Need to travel to Bangkok at the end of next month for a few days and I have a few queries. Firstly, on researching flights, I keep finding flights via Moscow with Aeroflot that are considerably cheaper than the other options, €150+ cheaper to be more precise. Just wondering if there is something I am missing. The total journey time is very similar. Do I need to get a visa for my transfer in Moscow airport, for example. Secondly, can anyone recommend a district in Bangkok for a hotel. Lastly, what is the visa situation in Thailand? Can I get one on arrival or do I need to apply for one?

Berserker wrote:
    Need to travel to Bangkok at the end of next month for a few days and I have a few queries. Firstly, on researching flights, I keep finding flights via Moscow with Aeroflot that are considerably cheaper than the other options, €150+ cheaper to be more precise. Just wondering if there is something I am missing. The total journey time is very similar. Do I need to get a visa for my transfer in Moscow airport, for example. Secondly, can anyone recommend a district in Bangkok for a hotel. Lastly, what is the visa situation in Thailand? Can I get one on arrival or do I need to apply for one?

If you have an Irish passport you don't need a visa for a short visit. Reports I've heard of the flight via Moscow would not encourage me to use it, unless you enjoy extended periods in close proximity to drunken Russian heavies and their molls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

First Up wrote: »
    If you have an Irish passport you don't need a visa for a short visit. Reports I've heard of the flight via Moscow would not encourage me to use it, unless you enjoy extended periods in close proximity to drunken Russian heavies and their molls.

Thanks for the reply. I had my suspicions about Moscow. My other options are via Abu Dhabi with Eithad or Frankfurt with Lufthansa. The Abu Dhabi option would break up the flight nicely, I suppose. British passport has a 30 day short stay exemption also, so that is fine.

Berserker wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I had my suspicions about Moscow. My other options are via Abu Dhabi with Eithad or Frankfurt with Lufthansa. The Abu Dhabi option would break up the flight nicely, I suppose. British passport has a 30 day short stay exemption also, so that is fine.

Abu Dhabi works OK. The flights tend to be busy as many are going on to Australia but its a good service. My personal preference is BA nonstop from London.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

EVA air fly direct from London, generally regarded as a fairly decent airline. There is a direct BA flight from London but it's a one of the older planes and generally gets bad reviews e.g. broken entertainment systems.

There's also Qatar via Doha from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Went long haul via Moscow, the only thing vaguely threatening were the dour airport staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

irish_goat wrote: »
    EVA air fly direct from London, generally regarded as a fairly decent airline. There is a direct BA flight from London but it's a one of the older planes and generally gets bad reviews e.g. broken entertainment systems.

There's also Qatar via Doha from Dublin.

EVA are great. Flew with them when they used to fly to BKK via AMS

Went long haul via Moscow, the only thing vaguely threatening were the dour airport staff.

Glad to hear it. I know someone who was punched in the face by a (female) fellow passenger!

irish_goat wrote:

Haven't used EVA - yet. I've used BA Business and Premium economy and both grand; everything worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Glad to hear it. I know someone who was punched in the face by a (female) fellow passenger!

The layout in the airport was awful, something like 8 booths for checking passports followed by a single additional check at one solitary door. Took an eternity just to get into the place.

I meant to answer your question about where to stay.

"Quiet" is not a word that fits a description of Bangkok in general and it is a city better embraced for all its noise, colour and atmosphere. I stay in the Sukhumvit area which has everything you could want for dining or shopping and the Sky Train makes everywhere accessible.

But each to his own so maybe look at this site for more information. https://nerdnomads.com/where-to-stay-in-bangkok

I would not recommend the Khao San Road area - unless you would like Temple Bar on steroids.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a district in Bangkok for a quiet four or five star hotel.

We spend a few nights here a few years ago.
    It's a very quiet part of the city but its on the skytrain route so easy to get around.
    Fantastic trip !

https://www.hansarhotels.com/hotels/bangkok/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Berserker wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a district in Bangkok for a quiet four or five star hotel. Lastly, what is the visa situation in Thailand? Can I get one on arrival or do I need to apply for one?

No visa needed. For Airlines i like Emirates the best. For Hotel the Landmark Hotel is nice and in a good location on Sukhumvit Rd a short walk to the sky train( I have never used it btw but it's really close by)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thailand Visa - If Irish passport, you are Visa Exempt for 30 days (15 if arriving by land). When you go through immigration you'll get a stamp in your passport.

We've flown Etihad, Emirates, Qatar to BKK - All fine (777 or 787 Dreamliner) - Always flew business so can't comment much on pricing.

This year we're flying Turkish to BKK via IST. Personally, I preferred the 50/50 break-up via the other carriers, whereas this time it will be approx. 4 hour and then 10 hours (or thereabouts). Again, can't comment on price as we're flying Business.

When in BKK, we always stay in Hotel Icon, Soi 2, Sukhumvit - Close to the SkyTrain, excellent rooftop pool and usually never more than 2,000 THB

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Again, can't comment on price as we're flying Business.

For pricing the most i have paid in the last 3 years was €540 return, Cheapest was €480.
    So not too much of a difference.

OP are you using skyscanner to check ? I only use that as a search tool then go to the official airlines page to book just incase.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    For pricing the most i have paid in the last 3 years was €540 return, Cheapest was €480.
    So not too much of a difference.

OP are you using skyscanner to check ? I only use that as a search tool then go to the official airlines page to book just incase.

Christ, I need to start flying Economy :o

Good point re. Skyscanner... use it only as a general pricing tool. Book direct with the airline; in the event of any mishaps you can deal directly with them.... trust me, it's worth the extra few quid.

Also as mentioned previously, Bangkok you will either love or hate. I love it. I've collectively spent over 40 nights in Bangkok and I still haven't even scratched the surface. We'll have about 6 nights there on our upcoming trip and i'll still be seeing new things, although every time i'm there 1 day is gone visiting a penpal in BangKwang Prison and another with Urban Neighbors of Hope, a charity based in Klong Toei slum.

Anyone any advice on which areas are best to book for accomodation? Want to be reasonably near nightlife but also handy for the airport train. Tempted by the Pratunam area.

Anyone any advice on which areas are best to book for accomodation? Want to be reasonably near nightlife but also handy for the airport train. Tempted by the Pratunam area.

If you have a bit of money i would just get a taxi to the airport. Nightmare dragging a suitcase around. Will cost just over a tenner.

BohsCeltic wrote:
    If you have a bit of money i would just get a taxi to the airport. Nightmare dragging a suitcase around. Will cost just over a tenner.

And could take two hours.

It's a honeymoon holiday so we can afford to splash out on a taxi by all means, but yeah, the traffic is what worries me. I'd rather get a train to somewhere in the centre and taxi from there at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It's a honeymoon holiday so we can afford to splash out on a taxi by all means, but yeah, the traffic is what worries me. I'd rather get a train to somewhere in the centre and taxi from there at the very least.

The train from the airport goes right by pratanum, although that area is mainly markets. Its not far from sukhumvit though, so could get the train to there and get a taxi if staying in the sukhumvit area. The airport train is handy, directly under the airport and only 60baht

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote:
    The train from the airport goes right by pratanum, although that area is mainly markets. Its not far from sukhumvit though, so could get the train to there and get a taxi if staying in the sukhumvit area. The airport train is handy, directly under the airport and only 60baht

Train to the airport is quick, cheap, reliable and easy to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Most hotels do transfers for free.

Why not and the hotel.

listermint wrote: »
    Most hotels do transfers for free.

Why not and the hotel.

The one I'm looking at, the Akara, does a free shuttle to the Skytrain.

Just more wondering if I'm miles away from decent nightlife in that area.

irish_goat wrote:
    The one I'm looking at, the Akara, does a free shuttle to the Skytrain.
    Definitely the way to go.
    irish_goat wrote:
    Just more wondering if I'm miles away from decent nightlife in that area.

I don't know the immediate area but you are very close to Sukhumvit which is buzzing.

If traffic is heavy we get the BTS/ ARL.

If not much traffic, we use Grab. Highly recommend Grab, saves the BS of drivers not wanting to use the meter etc.

And could take two hours.

Everytime it has only taken me about 30 minutes. After a long flight i just find it easier to come out and take a taxi to hotel. I can speak some basic Thai which i think helps in never being ripped off.

It's also good to have the address of the hotel on your phone or a print out. Especially if it's translated to Thai.

BohsCeltic wrote:
    Everytime it has only taken me about 30 minutes. After a long flight i just find it easier to come out and take a taxi to hotel. I can speak some basic Thai which i think helps in never being ripped off.

That's arriving. A taxi on the way in is tempting and you are not under time pressure. A taxi to the airport to catch a flight out is trickier.

Advertisement