Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google search

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michaellunney

The Google search results are a complete mess lately.
    Duck Duck Go and Bing are much better, so long as you add 'Ireland' at the end of the search term if looking for local sites. There are a few ads but not the complete mess that Google has turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm not sure I'm ready to use Bing... even if Google is gone to the dogs. Grand on PC/Laptop as AdBlock actually works, but AdBlock on mobile is terrible and there's no alternative.

Tried that Qwant from the last page, and it's the same results as google, but without the expanded everything first, so the Wiki for Friday is actually on the 1st page, but 3rd option behind the movie and Rebecca fukin Black, followed by completely unrelated 'Headline News' options...

My mother is started to get pretty au fait with smartphones (she's 71), but the Google searches are doing her nut in, for the reasons in this thread. There should be a law against advertising to people over a certain age, they're too gullible and these sites know this and take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm not sure I'm ready to use Bing... even if Google is gone to the dogs. Grand on PC/Laptop as AdBlock actually works, but AdBlock on mobile is terrible and there's no alternative.

Tried that Qwant from the last page, and it's the same results as google, but without the expanded everything first, so the Wiki for Friday is actually on the 1st page, but 3rd option behind the movie and Rebecca fukin Black, followed by completely unrelated 'Headline News' options...

My mother is started to get pretty au fait with smartphones (she's 71), but the Google searches are doing her nut in, for the reasons in this thread. There should be a law against advertising to people over a certain age, they're too gullible and these sites know this and take advantage.

Blockada for ad blocking on mobile.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Blockada for ad blocking on mobile.

Call me picky, but if it's not on the Play store, I won't install it, not into this 3rd party craic even if it's beneficial. The only Blokada i'm getting is a DNS changer, and I do like the worst review, or specifically the reply:

Jayson:
    ok here's my review, your app is good, but not very good, why? well after i use the app for an hour popup ads stop but after an hour the ads pop up start popping in again, so 2 star for this app.. not recommended for long-term... if someone want to block ads for an hour then you download this!

Dev:
    Hello,
    Nice to see such and in depth review.

Good stuff!

Edit: On the 3rd party stuff, do I only have to enable it to download this, and then can I disable it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A visa to Canada should cost about €5 or so. However if you Google Canada visas the first link is for a company that sells them for about €70. Their website looks remarkably like the official one too. Seventy year old mother in law got stung by this a few months ago.

• Advertisement

Call me picky, but if it's not on the Play store, I won't install it, not into this 3rd party craic even if it's beneficial. The only Blokada i'm getting is a DNS changer, and I do like the worst review, or specifically the reply:

Jayson:
    ok here's my review, your app is good, but not very good, why? well after i use the app for an hour popup ads stop but after an hour the ads pop up start popping in again, so 2 star for this app.. not recommended for long-term... if someone want to block ads for an hour then you download this!

Dev:
    Hello,
    Nice to see such and in depth review.

Good stuff!

Edit: On the 3rd party stuff, do I only have to enable it to download this, and then can I disable it again?

Its not on the play store as it blocks ads something google makes all its money out of so you can see why.

https://blokada.org/index.html

Its free and open source, if it was anyway dodgy the guys over at reddit would have tore it apart.

Another option is to install firefox and then install ublockorigin plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Don't get me started on Youtube, 2 ads in a row me hole

try downloading the opensouce version called newpipe, no ads whatsoever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Unlock bootloader, install a custom ROM with no Google services. Use Aurora store and F Droid for app downloads. Be grand..

+1 for f-droid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I searched for Friday and it said please come back in 5 days :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fuaranach wrote: »
    The most annoying thing about Google for the past maybe 8 years is the death of the Ireland only search option.

if you want to search a specific site include site:boards.ie (for example) in your search

to search from a specific domain include site:*.ie or site:*.co.uk etc.

• Advertisement

if you really want to learn how to get the best out of google search, try this course

https://coursebuilder.withgoogle.com/sample/course?use_last_location=true

irishgeo wrote: »
    if you really want to learn how to get the best out of google search, try this course

https://coursebuilder.withgoogle.com/sample/course?use_last_location=true

Interesting... How long is the course? I just completed 2 on Networking Foundations, and yer man is after putting me off for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've noticed the Google app is full of ads and 'stories'.
    I don't get these on chrome.

Advertisement