Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to and from Cuba

• 26-03-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone to cuba in recent years after the most up to date changes with the US.

We're planning on going to Cancun, Mexico and then Havanna, Cuba and onwards to the Dominican Republic afterwards.

Flights from Havanna to Dominican go via Miami, Has anyone done this before? Its really hard to find proper info online.
    We wont be American citizens so do the rules still apply to us because we have to use Miami Airport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The US does not do transits, you will have to get an ESTA and clear customs before getting the next flight.

Are you sure you cannot get a flight from Cuba to Dominican Republic without going via the US?

Going to Miami from Cuba is just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We flew there from Toronto, made the mistake of only staying Havana for 3 nights followed by 4 in Valadero. In hindsight we wished that we spent all the time in Havana. Wonderful city and great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

garv123 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to cuba in recent years after the most up to date changes with the US.

We're planning on going to Cancun, Mexico and then Havanna, Cuba and onwards to the Dominican Republic afterwards.

Flights from Havanna to Dominican go via Miami, Has anyone done this before? Its really hard to find proper info online.
    We wont be American citizens so do the rules still apply to us because we have to use Miami Airport?

We booked Miami last year and planned to pop over to Cuba for a few days. Awful hassle trying to find out if we could fly into Cuba from Miami. I called the Cuban embassy and was told “as you may know, we have not communicated with the USA for many years and so cannot advise you”. Rang the American embassy and they said to call the Cuban embassy... I rang the airline that we were planning on flying with (MIA to HAV) and they said that I would have to book flights and then apply for a visa for entry into Cuba. I asked if we would be refunded the flights if visa wasn’t approved and they said no. So basically it’s a book the flights and hope visa gets approved scenario.
    Reason we done so much phoning around was that our friends aunt had actually been refused entry to Cuba as she was coming from Miami.

So advice would be to fly into Cuba from another country. Or skip Cuba and go to Jamaica which we did!

There is no problem entering Cuba. Just buy the tourist card from an approved travel agency/airline or the Cuban Embassy in Dublin.

The real issue is transiting via the US from Cuba. I can see the Americans being a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thanks for the replies.
    Getting to cuba isn't going to be the problem.
    Cant seem to find any first hand experience of what the process is for getting out. Most flights out of Cuba seem to go through the US.
    Everything you read has a different answer.
    The Cuban embassy here want us to make an appointment in Dublin to discuss it. Which doesn't suit at all with work.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with the Cuban Embassy or Cuba. If you have an entry visa there is no issue leaving Cuba. The issue is transiting the United States.

It has nothing to do with the Cuban Embassy or Cuba. If you have an entry visa there is no issue leaving Cuba. The issue is transiting the United States.

So whats needed to do that? Dont mind paperwork as long as we know whats needed. Loads of flights out of Cuba go through the US.

You need to complete ESTA for each passenger. $14 a head. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You will have to collect your bags and clear US customs. Because you were in Cuba things may get awkward. You can avail of a general licence that you went to Cuba "to support the Cuban people".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How long are you going there all a holiday in themselves, I wouldn't rush through them.

Forgot to update this thread, I better do so for anyone looking for similar info.

Applied for the ESTA, and also filled out OFAC licence ticking "supporting the cuban people"

No issues at all going Via the US, as easy as any other connecting flight. Probably didnt need the OFAC but it was only a few seconds to apply for it just in case.

If anyone else is going to do similar, I wouldn't be worrying about, just apply for the ESTA and OFAC online in a few seconds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement