Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age to neuter dog

• 05-08-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone, I have a 13 month old collie and I want to know when is the right time to neuter him. I have read conflicting reports online about the right time and I just want your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

For a male collie I think between 12 and 18 months is usually recommended. My dad has a collie cross and had him done at 16 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog is small-medium and he was done at 20months. For a bigger dog I’d wait till after the two year mark to make sure they were finished growing. Bone cancer and joint issues are much more common in dogs that are neutered too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Hi everyone, I have a 13 month old collie and I want to know when is the right time to neuter him. I have read conflicting reports online about the right time and I just want your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

You'll get more conflicting reports on here than anywhere else :). Your dogs vet is the person to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hoboo wrote: »
    You'll get more conflicting reports on here than anywhere else :). Your dogs vet is the person to ask.

I’d disagree on the basis that the vet around the corner spayed my friend’s 6 month old retriever.

Look into studies or stats based on your breed rather than generic advice. If my new pup is a girl I’ll be aiming for the 2 year mark.. if it’s a boy I’ll need a compelling reason after all of Baileys joint and other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandEire

My vet said over a year is fine to neuter. He's a large collie. It's just he's becoming aggression with other dogs and he's started to run away while on walks and pulling madly to mark his spot. He was fine at 11 months and then I'm guessing reached sexual maturity.

Okay if he is too young for neutering, any tips to control a head strong male dog.
    Thanks open to all suggestions as he's my first male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

He is just being a stroppy teenager. They go through a more independent stage whether they are neutered or not. Try walking him on a head collar such as a halti or dogmatic for more control (or a front attach harness). If you can get through this stage with training you should end up with a pretty bombproof, obedient, well-trained adult dog at the end of it. Reinforce your use of commands and practice lots in an enclosed space at home. It is normal for teenaged dogs to forget a bit of their puppy training, it’s just a little rebellious phase they go through. My terrier was a nightmare at that age and actively went looking for the neighbours cats looking for a row every time she went out to toilet and discovered the gate open and she was neutered at 6 months. They do come out the other side of it all the better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tk123 wrote: »
    I’d disagree on the basis that the vet around the corner spayed my friend’s 6 month old retriever.

Look into studies or stats based on your breed rather than generic advice. If my new pup is a girl I’ll be aiming for the 2 year mark.. if it’s a boy I’ll need a compelling reason after all of Baileys joint and other issues.

If you're thinking of a girl pup, look into OSS. It leaves all those hormones intact while removing the threat of pyo, growth plate issues or little surprises. If you PM me I'll tell you the details of the vet I used who was recommended by both our usual vet and our groomer.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If you're thinking of a girl pup, look into OSS. It leaves all those hormones intact while removing the threat of pyo, growth plate issues or little surprises. If you PM me I'll tell you the details of the vet I used who was recommended by both our usual vet and our groomer.

I was going to get it done for Lucy and had her booked in but closer to the time I decided I wanted my vet to do it instead. Will see what happens this time around. I'm going to let faith decide if it's a boy or girl lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

tk123 wrote: »

That's one vet and one dog.

I'd change vets if you value your own internet research over his/her qualified and experienced professional opinion.

What's next, standing over an operating table with a YouTube video telling him he's making the incision in the wrong place?

I'd change vets if you value your own internet research over his/her qualified and experienced professional opinion.

What's next, standing over an operating table with a YouTube video telling him he's making the incision in the wrong place?

"Qualified and experienced doesnt mean they keep up to date" ...to quote yourself.. : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111160392&postcount=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My vet said over a year is fine to neuter. He's a large collie. It's just he's becoming aggression with other dogs and he's started to run away while on walks and pulling madly to mark his spot. He was fine at 11 months and then I'm guessing reached sexual maturity.

Okay if he is too young for neutering, any tips to control a head strong male dog.
    Thanks open to all suggestions as he's my first male.

Sorry but neutering doesn't fix issues like dog reactivity, find a good local trainer or behaviourist and work with them. At this point, it may already be a learnt behaviour and he'll need to learn alternative behaviours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Unfortunately I'd agree with TK123, I have 2 adopted littermate sisters, the original owner's vet advised them to spay at around 4 months to calm them down - it didn't. My husky/retriever cross was surrendered to the pound at 6 months, because the family couldn't cope with him. Again, he was already neutered on vet advice, for a big dog like Ghost, it was way too early.

Advertisement