Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet passport

Options
  • 27-07-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi looking for some advice or personal experience here.
    We are travelling to Scotland from Belfast this weekend and just wondering how strict the ferry company (Stena Line) are on pet passports vaccines etc.
    I know by law it states you must have all of the above but I’m hearing mixed reports about this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Why take the chance of ruining your trip - Sods Law if you dont have the dog passport, you will be asked to produce it.

We have not been asked to show our dogs passports, but would never travel without one - just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you are travelling from Northern Ireland to Scotland then you don't need a pet passport.
    However if you are travelling from RoI to Scotland via NI then you do. There is a high probability of being checked at the moment as both jurisdictions are discouraging non essential travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

muddypaws wrote: »
    If you are travelling from Northern Ireland to Scotland then you don't need a pet passport.
    However if you are travelling from RoI to Scotland via NI then you do. There is a high probability of being checked at the moment as both jurisdictions are discouraging non essential travel.

I've had my dogs' passports checked before doing the larne / cairnryan crossing - I assume 'cos I had a ROI reg and so it was fairly obvious my dogs were coming from Ireland.

I'm checked every time i cross in my obviously dodgy-looking white van. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd guess too that they're checking more now, in light of recent apparent increases in dog thefts, and consequent seizures of stolen dogs at ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

have your papers otherwise they will turn you back dog thefts are creating an alert bothways at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

JBhoy84 wrote: »
    We are travelling to Scotland from Belfast this weekend and just wondering how strict the ferry company (Stena Line) are on pet passports vaccines etc.
    I know by law it states you must have all of the above but I’m hearing mixed reports about this.

Thanks

Just in case, you should do one for you pet. At least you already free from on problem while traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

JBhoy84 wrote: »

Thanks

The Ferry companies are not the people enforcing this customs are.
    As said already if you are travelling to the UK - Inc NI- from the ROI you should have a valid passport including rabies vaccine

if this is the first passport it is not valid for 21 days post vaccine so you are out of time to be compliant if you are travelling from ROI this weekend

Advertisement