Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShaneU's Walrus

Options
  • 21-07-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭

It's after midnight, so you know what that means......Walrus time??

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where the host selects categories for certain types of music, people then submit one song for each category which the judge (me) listens to and ranks in order.

Why Am I Doing This?

This contest will introduce me to music I would most likely never have heard otherwise. But that doesn't mean I'll like it :D

What Kind of Music Am I Into?
    Alternative, Blues, Calypso, Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Electronic, Folk, Funk, Grunge, Hip Hop, House, Indie, Jazz, Lo-fi, New Wave, Pop, Punk, Reggae, Rock, Ska, Soul, Swing

Growing up I went from being into dance music, then rock came along, then folk music, now I'm even starting to like Country :eek: Anyone paying attention to my entries to other Walrus's may have noticed my favourite decade is the 60's. I appreciate the classics :D

What Kind of Music Am I Not Into?
    Majority of Metal, especially the Scandanavian type. And dubstep. Do not send dubstep. Or anything with screaming.

The Categories

1. Making an Entrance
    If you were a Boxer/Wrestler/MMA Fighter what would your entrance theme be? Something to pump up the crowd? Or maybe something to intimidate your opponent? Make your entrance to the Walrus Arena :D

2. Piano Perfection
    My favourite instrument. Send me any song with piano in it. How much or how little is up to you.

3. Driving Miss Walrus
    Send me a great song to listen to while driving* I'm probably looking for upbeat toe-tappers here (or hand on the wheel tappers in this case) I already have a couple in mind that will score high.

*I may or may not judge these songs while driving :pac:

4. Disco Fever
    There are very few disco songs I don't like. There's even new disco songs creeping into the charts. Send me your favourite disco song, new or old!

5. True Colours
    Send me a song from an artist with a colour in their name. There's more than you think!

6. Hindsight is 2020
    Very simple, send me a song released this year. I want to discover something new :)

How do I enter?

PM me the titles of the songs or youtube links. Don't post them on the thread. Good luck :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

very interesting categories Shane, wide scope for selections.
    I'll need to investigate this a bit more than usual I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nice and Colourful:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Damn you, I had category 1 and 3 on upcoming Walrus.

Great minds eh..... oh well, back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Done and Done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In-arooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

5 entries so far, haven't listened yet but some of you have picked some of my favourite songs already :D looking forward to hearing the new songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ShaneU wrote: »
    5 entries so far, haven't listened yet but some of you have picked some of my favourite songs already :D looking forward to hearing the new songs.

I very much doubt I'm in the favourites pack which is quite worrying, as I went more for the "theres a fair chance they won't know this one" approach...

Songs submitted.

Thank you for organising this Shane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Growing up I went from being into dance music, then rock came along, then folk music, now I'm even starting to like Country :eek: Anyone paying attention to my entries to other Walrus's may have noticed my favourite decade is the 60's. I appreciate the classics :D

I'm going to put this to the test, all my songs will be country songs

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, just to clarify Round 5. I am looking for a song from Artists with a colour in their name, not songs with a colour in the title (that was done already)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hi everyone, just to clarify Round 5. I am looking for a song from Artists with a colour in their name, not songs with a colour in the title (that was done already)

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

With a few bottles in me reading back, I've a feeling I made a balls of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Majority of Metal, especially the Scandanavian type. And dubstep. Do not send dubstep. Or anything with screaming.

Kinda wish I'd seen this before I made the majority of my choices, But sure lookit, it will be an eye opening world expanding education for you ;)

Sawduck brings us to 9 entries

FixXxer is not one of them despite his threat to make me listen to Metal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I'll have mine in at some point tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

PMI coming as soon as I figure out a piano piece

Sawduck brings us to 9 entries

FixXxer is not one of them despite his threat to make me listen to Metal :pac:

Oh don't you worry, it's on the way :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I mean, saying you're not into metal is asking for loads of metal in my book.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I mean, saying you're not into metal is asking for loads of metal in my book.

You realise the object of this game is to submit music I'll like? :pac:

• Advertisement

You realise the object of this game is to submit music I'll like? :pac:

I never play that way. I usually go with stuff you won't know to educate you. probably why I always finish near the bottom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

fixXxer wrote: »
    I never play that way. I usually go with stuff you won't know to educate you. probably why I always finish near the bottom :pac:

Yeah I think that was the original idea of walrus presented by Rikki, sharing music you like, winning was a bonus. I suppose you can play it either way though.

I will get a entry in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

When's the closing date for this? I've only just spotted this thread there.

When's the closing date for this? I've only just spotted this thread there.

There isn't one yet. Irish Aris seems like he'll get his finished at a respectable pace so it'll be after that ends. Don't get me started on the other jokers :pac:

There isn't one yet. Irish Aris seems like he'll get his finished at a respectable pace so it'll be after that ends. Don't get me started on the other jokers :pac:

I'm having good progress this weekend. Still though probably looking for a category every other day so i reckon I will finish during the bank holiday weekend.

We're up to 11 entries now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Majority of Metal, especially the Scandanavian type.

Well this has thrown a spanner in the works for my 2020 song. I don't tend to listen to the latest popular music, (as it's complete and utter rubbish :p), so really struggling here to pick something which I want to nominate.

Well this has thrown a spanner in the works for my 2020 song. I don't tend to listen to the latest popular music, (as it's complete and utter rubbish :p), so really struggling here to pick something which I want to nominate.
    I'll accept 2019 if you're that stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

ha! i'm the same. saw 2019 is allowed as well. will still to get something from 2020

Advertisement