Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I never laughed so much. That new born has some legs on it. Difficult birth and it gets up dry and runs away like it's a month old.

Icbf- very Vigourous!

I figured i wasn’t the only farmer thinking exactly the same , big black bear skin wrapped around something was one shot they were pulling out of, arm length gloves and lube suddenly appeared and all they had running across the plain was a old jack and leather gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

sonnybill wrote: »
    Icbf- very Vigourous!

I figured i wasn’t the only farmer thinking exactly the same , big black bear skin wrapped around something was one shot they were pulling out of, arm length gloves and lube suddenly appeared and all they had running across the plain was a old jack and leather gloves

I was laughing at that aswell and then the calf took off like he was in Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

About 3 months later than I'd have liked. Last one for the year pity as she has a great bag of milk. Si calf which squirted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hereford heifer calved on September 11th last year calved last week again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hereford heifer calved on September 11th last year calved last week again.

She's your eldest lads one?

And pulled her back over 6 weeks as well:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Found this surprise today. Wasn't even watching her. She calved last year on 12 Sept. How do you explain that to ICBF?
    She is very fertile. Had her first calf on 10 Dec 2016.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

She's your eldest lads one?

And pulled her back over 6 weeks as well:)

Ye, calf not long weaned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Found this surprise today. Wasn't even watching her. She calved last year on 12 Sept. How do you explain that to ICBF?
    She is very fertile. Had her first calf on 10 Dec 2016.

Anything under 300 days is a red flag she should b fine
    Lovely cow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anything under 300 days is a red flag she should b fine
    Lovely cow

Lovely team there. I really like a black one that has a red calf. Had a wee staycation for a few days there and everything has moved on in that time. Will take home 6 springing heifers abd 2 cows tomorrow. Should be 10-14 days to go but one & possibly 2 is scanned for twins so we want to be alert for that.

Busy 24 hours here! Autumn calving underway. I took a wee break in Donegal and after pushing the thing hard got the yoke home yesterday evening. My father was just leaving the yard below so I said all must be grand. Neighbour rang me to say he saw feet out of a heifer so I went down to look. Sim heifer I bought last year calved twins herself. One up sucking. Tubed them both and took a look at another heifer only to see her standing over a nice bull calf licking him. Got a heifer lying out flat today after a third check. Gave her some time then took her in 2 hours later zero progress. We put the jack in her and got a heifer calf out easy pull. I’m surprised cos I don’t think she was ever going to bother calving herself.

• Advertisement

Busy 24 hours here! Autumn calving underway. I took a wee break in Donegal and after pushing the thing hard got the yoke home yesterday evening. My father was just leaving the yard below so I said all must be grand. Neighbour rang me to say he saw feet out of a heifer so I went down to look. Sim heifer I bought last year calved twins herself. One up sucking. Tubed them both and took a look at another heifer only to see her standing over a nice bull calf licking him. Got a heifer lying out flat today after a third check. Gave her some time then took her in 2 hours later zero progress. We put the jack in her and got a heifer calf out easy pull. I’m surprised cos I don’t think she was ever going to bother calving herself.

First two

squinn2912 wrote: »
    First two

Twins

First two

Twins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Twins

Some start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Good start! I was thinking to myself that this time of year would be great for calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Good start! I was thinking to myself that this time of year would be great for calving.

This time of year can end a combination of both early and late calvers. They can be either.....it depends who's asking.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Biscuitus wrote: »

Till u get mastitis in a few. :(. Calves very big in shed too

The ones this time of year rarely cause a moments bother! I’m off school as well so more time to be about. Fellen can be a pain but standing about freezing in February is less appealing! These are the heifers we calve them both spring and autumn and aim to be a little earlier than cows with some of them to give them plenty of time going back in calf. I’m delighted so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Great start alright, nice sim heifer - what's she by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Twins

Nice cow, and good sized calves.... Give her a small few nuts and it will stand to her.... Rearing twins will be hard on a heifir...

RD10 wrote: »
    Great start alright, nice sim heifer - what's she by?

The heifer with twins is Capone and the one with one calf is apostle

Nice cow, and good sized calves.... Give her a small few nuts and it will stand to her.... Rearing twins will be hard on a heifir...

Yea she’s getting a wee handful and there’s dairy nuts too well give her. Will try and get them to take a pull off the other heifer too for a couple of weeks it would help get them going but she has a good sup

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

This time of year can end a combination of both early and late calvers. They can be either.....it depends who's asking.

I did get a shock thinking that was a very late calving!

Number 5. Decent pull with the vet

Well folks are any of you calving yet it still? Number 10 born overnight after a handy pull for number 9. Mastitis been a problem this year we’re going to be saying goodbye to 3 great cows unfortunately

Well folks are any of you calving yet it still? Number 10 born overnight after a handy pull for number 9. Mastitis been a problem this year we’re going to be saying goodbye to 3 great cows unfortunately

Wouldn't get rid of a cow for 1 spin missing. Very hard keep them right this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

First of the autumn calves dropped yesterday. Grand title HKI heifer.
    Had to get the spi sliced on the cow on Monday but she still has plenty to feed the calf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

First of the autumn calves dropped yesterday. Grand title HKI heifer.
    Had to get the spi sliced on the cow on Monday but she still has plenty to feed the calf
    Future breeder
    Is she PB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Future breeder
    Is she PB?

Oh not a bit out of a big milky LmxFr

Advertisement