Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 08:39   #16
Jem72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 127
A lot of the statistics are framed in such a way that makes life a lot easier for Irish Rail. When they only refer to arrival time at the end of the journey, it's always possible to pad timetables to make it look better. On Sligo, a significant majority of passengers are going no further than Longford. Yet it is a fairly rare event to have an evening down train make it to Longford less than 10 minutes late.

The other area where the stats flatter Irish Rail is where you have a situation with 80% on-time performance of trains, you could quite easily have only 60% of passengers on-time since it is invariably the busier trains that get delayed. This is how we get to see an amazing 90% on-time for DART during October yet there endemic delays at rush hour with many passengers having to let 2 or 3 trains pass before they got on. Does anybody honestly believe that 90% of DART passengers were less than 5 minutes late in October.

You can make statistics tell whatever story you want.
Jem72 is offline  
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 08:45   #17
Working class heroes
Registered User
 
Working class heroes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem72 View Post
A lot of the statistics are framed in such a way that makes life a lot easier for Irish Rail. When they only refer to arrival time at the end of the journey, it's always possible to pad timetables to make it look better. On Sligo, a significant majority of passengers are going no further than Longford. Yet it is a fairly rare event to have an evening down train make it to Longford less than 10 minutes late.

The other area where the stats flatter Irish Rail is where you have a situation with 80% on-time performance of trains, you could quite easily have only 60% of passengers on-time since it is invariably the busier trains that get delayed. This is how we get to see an amazing 90% on-time for DART during October yet there endemic delays at rush hour with many passengers having to let 2 or 3 trains pass before they got on. Does anybody honestly believe that 90% of DART passengers were less than 5 minutes late in October.

You can make statistics tell whatever story you want.
Spot on. Since the last timetable change my train has been on time only once, yes, just once. The punctuality for the lie is 90+%.
Go figure.
Working class heroes is online now  
Thanks from:
04-12-2018, 12:28   #18
Ray Bloody Purchase
Registered User
 
Ray Bloody Purchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 607
Do Irish Rail get any penalties from the NTA over lateness?
Ray Bloody Purchase is offline  
04-12-2018, 13:29   #19
TheQuietFella
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bloody Purchase View Post
Do Irish Rail get any penalties from the NTA over lateness?
Would you expect a train to pull away if it was still loading passengers?

A few minutes here and there is hardly going to change your world!
Get an earlier train if it makes that much of a difference!
TheQuietFella is offline  
04-12-2018, 13:31   #20
Working class heroes
Registered User
 
Working class heroes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bloody Purchase View Post
Do Irish Rail get any penalties from the NTA over lateness?
Yes they do.
Not sure of the exact details.
Working class heroes is online now  
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 13:34   #21
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found
 
Seth Brundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 23,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
Would you expect a train to pull away if it was still loading passengers?

A few minutes here and there is hardly going to change your world!
Get an earlier train if it makes that much of a difference!
Would it not be simpler for IR to make a timetable that they knew they could keep to?
Seth Brundle is online now  
(5) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 13:40   #22
Working class heroes
Registered User
 
Working class heroes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Brundle View Post
Would it not be simpler for IR to make a timetable that they knew they could keep to?
Timetables seem to be aspirational not factual
Working class heroes is online now  
04-12-2018, 13:42   #23
TheQuietFella
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Brundle View Post
Would it not be simpler for IR to make a timetable that they knew they could keep to?
Of course but this is the public you are dealing with in boarding trains.
It's not London where there is probably a train every 20 min or less.
Here we might have greater gaps between train departures so the
emphasis is on getting those people on board to a cost of a few minutes?
TheQuietFella is offline  
04-12-2018, 13:43   #24
TheQuietFella
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working class heroes View Post
Timetables seem to be aspirational not factual

It's the Irish way of doing things!
TheQuietFella is offline  
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 14:49   #25
Jamie2k9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,981
The new Director of Operations will demand a new schedule is prepared if they are in anyway serious about the role they intend to take.

Some schedules are no way realistic and they refuse to listen to feedback pointing our errors and spend a few weeks trying to make it work and might eventually bow to pressure and change.
Jamie2k9 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 14:57   #26
Jem72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
A few minutes here and there is hardly going to change your world!
This is true for the occasional user - since I gave up daily commuting, I'm rarely all that stressed about a 10 or 20 minute delay. The problem is when your train is 10 minutes late every single day. When I was commuting my usual delays ended up about 15 minutes per day - 5 in the morning and 10 in the evening with an hour long delay once a month or so.

That totalled up to most of a day's work every month which is far from insignificant. The other major issue was that when I started commuting 15 years ago, the evening train leaving at 6 used to take and hour and 20 minutes to get from Connolly to Edgeworthstown. Nowadays the evening trains are all scheduled at about an hour and 40 minutes and they are usually 10 minutes delayed on top of it. This is more than enough to put a marginally workable commute over the threshold into something that just can't be managed.
Jem72 is offline  
04-12-2018, 20:12   #27
DaCor
Registered User
 
DaCor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
Would you expect a train to pull away if it was still loading passengers?

A few minutes here and there is hardly going to change your world!
Get an earlier train if it makes that much of a difference!
The Japanese, Germans, Swiss etc can all manage it and that's with millions of passengers daily
DaCor is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 23:51   #28
TheQuietFella
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
The Japanese, Germans, Swiss etc can all manage it and that's with millions of passengers daily
A total different mentality in those countries to be fair!
TheQuietFella is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 11:41   #29
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found
 
Seth Brundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 23,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
A total different mentality in those countries to be fair!
So trains here are frequently late because of a mentality?
Seth Brundle is online now  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 11:58   #30
Ray Bloody Purchase
Registered User
 
Ray Bloody Purchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
Would you expect a train to pull away if it was still loading passengers?

A few minutes here and there is hardly going to change your world!
Get an earlier train if it makes that much of a difference!
Ehhh, what? I was asking if they got penalties.
Ray Bloody Purchase is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet