Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 19:27   #136
Dravokivich
Moderator
 
Dravokivich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Your Enthusiasm View Post
Why is capping not available on Cork BE Services?
None of the bus eireann services have capping.
Dravokivich is offline  
Advertisement
01-01-2019, 19:42   #137
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
It's not a bug. You're just being contentious.
It certainly doesn't work the way most regular users would expect it to! Free trip? Sorry, you'll need money for that.
markpb is offline  
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2019, 22:46   #138
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
It's not a bug. You're just being contentious.
So you reckon it was intentionally designed to require people to pay for a free service?


How is it contentious to question a requirement to pay for a free service? If the Council had staff at the gates of your local park requiring people to have a tenner in their wallet before they could enter the park, would you question it?
AndrewJRenko is offline  
Thanks from:
01-01-2019, 22:53   #139
Dravokivich
Moderator
 
Dravokivich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
So you reckon it was intentionally designed to require people to pay for a free service?


How is it contentious to question a requirement to pay for a free service? If the Council had staff at the gates of your local park requiring people to have a tenner in their wallet before they could enter the park, would you question it?
Using a credit function requires credit. Adding in complexity so that it checks how additional features are set, before thinking whether or not credit is needed means the transaction will take longer which goes against a primary use case for the leap card.

Not you're just adding in more crap because it doesn't suit you.
Dravokivich is offline  
01-01-2019, 23:47   #140
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Using a credit function requires credit.
Why is further travel AFTER reaching the cap considered to be 'a credit function'?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Adding in complexity so that it checks how additional features are set, before thinking whether or not credit is needed means the transaction will take longer which goes against a primary use case for the leap card.
No, I've already explained the false 'take longer' claim above. For the vast majority of users, this check would only take place AFTER checking available credit. So for the vast majority of users, the check would take the same amount of time.



For the small amount of users who have no credit, this check could be applied, and they are the ones who would benefit, so a small delay would be acceptable for them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Not you're just adding in more crap because it doesn't suit you.
It's not about suiting me or not. It is about them applying the actual fare rules that they publish.


If it is not possible to carry out this check for any reason (perhaps because the validator can only see the current balance and not the transaction history), then they need to come out and address this with an appropriate policy - perhaps something like 'you're OK to travel without tagging on if you have already reached the cap'.


But it is completely unacceptable for them to require passengers to put money on the card when no money is actually required to travel.
AndrewJRenko is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 18:59   #141
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts
 
antodeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,480
Anybody know what's happening with the leap card app? Can't read my card anymore (apparently it's a common app issue) so not sure how I can top my card up!

Last edited by antodeco; 03-01-2019 at 19:45.
antodeco is offline  
05-01-2019, 00:54   #142
p_haugh
Registered User
 
p_haugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by antodeco View Post
Anybody know what's happening with the leap card app? Can't read my card anymore (apparently it's a common app issue) so not sure how I can top my card up!
Weird, it's working fine for me. Try force closing it in settings/reinstall the app.
p_haugh is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet