Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 01:30   #601
dashcamdanny

Correct me if im wrong here.

Train driver contract 39-48 hours a week reach a maximum of €57k per annum after 10 years.

I can only guess thats doing a Sunday each week, shift allowance and 48 hours ..

This is near the money a a bus driver gets after a 6 years pay scale. Working Sunday with shift allowance and doing 48 hours .
Not including the extra you get for bank holiday work and late breaking.

You are not isolated in a tiny room, you dont have a black box and management breathing down you neck waiting for a mistake and you get to steer the thing.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 02:55   #602
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcamdanny View Post
Correct me if im wrong here.

Train driver contract 39-48 hours a week reach a maximum of €57k per annum after 10 years.

I can only guess thats doing a Sunday each week, shift allowance and 48 hours ..

This is near the money a a bus driver gets after a 6 years pay scale. Working Sunday with shift allowance and doing 48 hours .
Not including the extra you get for bank holiday work and late breaking.

You are not isolated in a tiny room, you dont have a black box and management breathing down you neck waiting for a mistake and you get to steer the thing.
No drivers do anywhere near 48hrs, most do around 30-35h. Sunday is a normal working day and open to correction shift allowance only for overtime.
12-01-2019, 03:20   #603
dashcamdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
No drivers do anywhere near 48hrs, most do around 30-35h. Sunday is a normal working day and open to correction shift allowance only for overtime.
I was thinking that. But it makes me wonder what is in the contract. Can they make you work 48? 6 days a week. Is there going to be new contracts for the new guys?
12-01-2019, 08:56   #604
lledlledlled

Can one of the current drivers outline a typical working week in terms of shifts? I know it's dependent on your depot, but a typical week (in your experience) would still be helpful just to give potential applicants some sort of idea.

Also, are there any opportunities to earn overtime above the yearly salary figures advertised?
12-01-2019, 10:51   #605
dar100

Send a message via AIM to dar100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lledlledlled View Post
Can one of the current drivers outline a typical working week in terms of shifts? I know it's dependent on your depot, but a typical week (in your experience) would still be helpful just to give potential applicants some sort of idea.

Also, are there any opportunities to earn overtime above the yearly salary figures advertised?
All those questions have been answered on the tread already. Not to mention the working time act
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 11:03   #606
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcamdanny View Post
I was thinking that. But it makes me wonder what is in the contract. Can they make you work 48? 6 days a week. Is there going to be new contracts for the new guys?
Not sure on specifics but they probably could however as it would be more than your normal rostered hours agreed so think overtime comes into play plus expenses.
12-01-2019, 11:25   #607
Rootsblower

Quote:

As you said it depends on your depot regarding shift patterns. There is no such thing as overtime. There is however rest day working which means if u work a rest day you just get a flat days pay or day in lieu even if it’s a Sunday.

Expenses only come into play if u are working out of another depot performing relief duties.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 11:48   #608
lledlledlled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsblower View Post
As you said it depends on your depot regarding shift patterns. There is no such thing as overtime. There is however rest day working which means if u work a rest day you just get a flat days pay or day in lieu even if it’s a Sunday.

Expenses only come into play if u are working out of another depot performing relief duties.
Thanks for the reply Roots.
Typically, would you usually get two consecutive days off? Would they ever/often be a full weekend, i.e. Saturday and Sunday?
12-01-2019, 12:23   #609
Daz_

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Roots.
Typically, would you usually get two consecutive days off? Would they ever/often be a full weekend, i.e. Saturday and Sunday?
Do you not think you are looking for way too much detail at this early stage ? 17500 applicants for 100 jobs . And they are being spread out over a few years . And then there is the internal applications and Irish rail waiting lists . Calm down and wait and see if you get to interview stage at lease is my suggestion
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 12:30   #610
dar100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_ View Post
Do you not think you are looking for way too much detail at this early stage ? 17500 applicants for 100 jobs . And they are being spread out over a few years . And then there is the internal applications and Irish rail waiting lists . Calm down and wait and see if you get to interview stage at lease is my suggestion
Terms snd conditions are imperative to someone applying give ober will you
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 12:44   #611
Daz_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar100 View Post
Terms snd conditions are imperative to someone applying give ober will you
I see you have missed my point completely . That’s ok , it happens .
12-01-2019, 12:44   #612
Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by obby1 View Post
do you not find it hypocritical, people do nothing but bitch about IE around her, and now you are salivating at the prospect of getting a IE job?
Doesn't that kind of prove how good the pay and conditions are for the positions? You won't find 17,500 people applying for 100 cashier positions in Dunnes Stores.
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 14:20   #613
dar100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_ View Post
I see you have missed my point completely . That’s ok , it happens .
Perhaps the point you were trying to make was in your head, because you certainly didnt articulate it.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 14:43   #614
Daz_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar100 View Post
Perhaps the point you were trying to make was in your head, because you certainly didnt articulate it.
Oh I think plenty got it alrighty and already know it . It’s not rocket science .You can continue to struggle on with it though .
12-01-2019, 14:57   #615
khaldrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_
Oh I think plenty got it alrighty and already know it . It’s not rocket science .You can continue to struggle on with it though .

Ok. So. What if an individual doesn't ask the questions and puts the time and effort to get to a stage, maybe a year down the track(no pun intended) where they find out the shifts won't work for them and their families? Would it not be better to ask the questions early to determine whether the individual should even apply in the first place?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion