Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 19:48   #16
ax586
Registered User
 
ax586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
True but it appears that Go-Ahead are struggling so far with the routes they've taken up. It could because of a lack of drivers. Personally I think they should be focusing on their PSO routes until they're fully up and running.
Plenty of drivers signed up for it and in fairness Go-Ahead would have experience with these buses as they use them in London
ax586 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-12-2018, 20:00   #17
Engineercorps
Registered User
 
Engineercorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Why waste time with hybrids in a city situation fully electric could do the job.. far less complicated to fix a battery and a motor rather than a hybrid
Engineercorps is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2018, 20:06   #18
Macha
Moderator
 
Macha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,185
Why are they trialling low-emissions? They should be going for zero emissions at this stage, given the time it will take to roll them out across the fleet.

In Brussels, they already have fully electric buses operating lines.
Macha is offline  
11-12-2018, 20:20   #19
Engineercorps
Registered User
 
Engineercorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macha View Post
Why are they trialling low-emissions? They should be going for zero emissions at this stage, given the time it will take to roll them out across the fleet.

In Brussels, they already have fully electric buses operating lines.
I second that motion.. hybrid is more or less a fat at this stage no matter how much it's pushed..
But hey it's impossible to get zero emissions just look where the electricity comes from..

Look up the TOSA project in Geneva it's a sight to behold
Engineercorps is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2018, 22:24   #20
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
There are very few electric double deckers and I believe none proven in the west, our city centres are not suited to articulated single deckers and we need the capacity that doubles provide

This should change, eventually
L1011 is online now  
Advertisement
11-12-2018, 23:48   #21
Engineercorps
Registered User
 
Engineercorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
There are very few electric double deckers and I believe none proven in the west, our city centres are not suited to articulated single deckers and we need the capacity that doubles provide

This should change, eventually
There are tons of electric buses running throughout Europe.

Look up zeeus report I can't post links yet
Engineercorps is offline  
11-12-2018, 23:48   #22
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineercorps View Post
There are tons of electric buses running throughout Europe.

Look up zeeus report I can't post links yet
All single deckers
L1011 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
12-12-2018, 00:57   #23
liamog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,890
How did the BYD Metroline Electric Double Deckers get on in London, are they still in use?
liamog is offline  
12-12-2018, 04:18   #24
Cookie_Monster
Registered User
 
Cookie_Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,330
Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
There are very few electric double deckers and I believe none proven in the west, our city centres are not suited to articulated single deckers and we need the capacity that doubles provide

This should change, eventually
Aren't most of the london fleet hybrid, certainly noticed loads when I was there in 2016.
Can't tfi not just get data from tfl, why are non customer usage trials needed in virtually the same operating conditions?
Cookie_Monster is offline  
Advertisement
12-12-2018, 05:28   #25
Macha
Moderator
 
Macha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineercorps View Post
I second that motion.. hybrid is more or less a fat at this stage no matter how much it's pushed..
But hey it's impossible to get zero emissions just look where the electricity comes from..

Look up the TOSA project in Geneva it's a sight to behold
Yes you're right about it not being zero emissions until the electricity s zero emission but that is improving all the time and any improvement on that side is instantaneous thoroughout the country's electric fleet.

Compare that to an improvement in the internal combustion engine or hybrid engine that would take 10-20 years to be reflected in the whole fleet of vehicles. Maybe less time for captive fleets as they have faster replacement rate.
Macha is offline  
12-12-2018, 14:02   #26
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax586 View Post
Plenty of drivers signed up for it and in fairness Go-Ahead would have experience with these buses as they use them in London
That's true alright but I don't think Go-Ahead will get any hybrids in service as all their fleet is SGs, GTs and Streetlites. Apparently a few Wright bodied London hybrids have already been seen around the city centre.

Last edited by Stephen15; 12-12-2018 at 14:06.
Stephen15 is offline  
12-12-2018, 14:16   #27
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 18,353
In another forum, folks have mentioned the following buses being trialled:

- Enviro 400h
- Wright StreetDeck Hybrid
- Volvo B5LH with Gemini 3 body

All pretty common hybrids that have been running around London for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Yeah, my recollection last time round with hybrids, there was frequent breakdowns. (One might have gone on fire, or was that a different bus they were testing?) They might want to break in the vehicles first before even considering running a service with'em.
Hybrids were pretty new back then. There are over 3,000 operating in London now, so likely far more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineercorps View Post
Why waste time with hybrids in a city situation fully electric could do the job.. far less complicated to fix a battery and a motor rather than a hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineercorps View Post
There are tons of electric buses running throughout Europe.

Look up zeeus report I can't post links yet
The problem is all the electric buses are single deck.

There have only been trials of two EV double deckers anywhere in the world and the trials don't seem to have gone well.

The biggest issue is where do you put the batteries. That is easy in a single decker. You just put them on the roof. But you can't do that in a double decker (makes them too high and top heavy). In the two buses trialled, they just put the batteries in the back of the bus on the lower deck. But then you lose two rows of seats and thus passenger space compared to the hybrids.

The tech just doesn't seem to be there yet for Double Deckers. I suspect we will need to wait for battery tech to continue to improve and become more dense, so that it can fit without taking up so much space, but still have the necessary range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
Aren't most of the london fleet hybrid, certainly noticed loads when I was there in 2016.
Can't tfi not just get data from tfl, why are non customer usage trials needed in virtually the same operating conditions?
Yes, about 3,000 of them.

I think some of the ones they are trialling aren't currently used in London, so they would need to test them to fairly compare them.

Best for them to get their own accurate, independently tested emissions results, given the whole Diesel gate mess. I wouldn't be trusting info from anyone else.

A couple of weeks trialling seems to be a good idea for what will likely become all new buses bought here over at least the next 5 years.
bk is offline  
Thanks from:
14-12-2018, 19:04   #28
Engineercorps
Registered User
 
Engineercorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macha View Post
Yes you're right about it not being zero emissions until the electricity s zero emission but that is improving all the time and any improvement on that side is instantaneous thoroughout the country's electric fleet.

Compare that to an improvement in the internal combustion engine or hybrid engine that would take 10-20 years to be reflected in the whole fleet of vehicles. Maybe less time for captive fleets as they have faster replacement rate.
Bet I can't see this country ever getting zero emission energy unless they run an electro wave generation machine around our coasts. I know the guy that patented it an according to him "they don't have the budget" and keep pushing stupid wind farms
Engineercorps is offline  
27-12-2018, 21:41   #29
dublinman1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,215
Here's one of the trial buses going back to London United's depot while it departs from Phibsboro/Broadstone depot in Dublin 7.

Jonathan McDonnell has 2 photos of it here on Flickr. It is VH45255.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/480736...-91538517@N02/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48073612@N04/46412193412/

Last edited by dublinman1990; 27-12-2018 at 21:46.
dublinman1990 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 22:37   #30
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,479
More SGs are due to enter service in coming weeks. I thought that only hybrids will be delivered from 2019 onwards or will we have to wait until 192 deliveries or 2020 before hybrids actually enter service? Unrelated but also they're in DB livery not TFI livery so when will DB actually be getting buses in TFI livery same as GAI buses.
Stephen15 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet