Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 12:53   #61
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamog View Post
You too emeldc.

If you ever want to discuss an interesting roundabout again with similar traffic movements
here's one I'd recommnd https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4267.../data=!3m1!1e3 though I supect you may want a break
It has spiral markings what's the problem?
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 12:56   #62
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
It doesn't matter how many lanes are on the exit. If there's 2 entering and the right isn't marked explicitly to go around, both can exit straight ahead.

If unmarked you can legally go around the round about entering from the left lane. Its just advised not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1ie View Post
Your telling me that on an unmarked roundabout you can enter on the left and exit on the right?
How long have you your driving licence, or have you got one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
The key word in the statement is "legally". AFAIK there's nothing in any SI that prohibits it, only what's in the ROTR which are guidelines and not legally binding.
This ^^^^

The only legal requirement AFAIK in the traffic regulations is that you must turn left when entering a roundabout, note traffic regulations are the SI's that courts, barristers etc. rely on rather than the RoTR which are guidelines.
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 13:01   #63
liamog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
This ^^^^

The only legal requirement AFAIK in the traffic regulations is that you must turn left when entering a roundabout, note traffic regulations are the SI's that courts, barristers etc. rely on rather than the RoTR which are guidelines.

You are also legally required to follow any regulatory road markings.
So in effect the unmarked roundabout is a free for all?
10-01-2019, 13:05   #64
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamog View Post
You are also legally required to follow any regulatory road markings.
So in effect the unmarked roundabout is a free for all?
If it's unmarked then yes, if it has lane markings then no but the ONLY SI AFAIK referring specifically to roundabouts is that when entering you must turn left.
10-01-2019, 13:16   #65
Spook_ie

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1.../made/en/print

Quote:
21 Entering a roundabout

21. A driver shall enter a roundabout by turning to the left.
As still referenced by

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/244

Quote:

Failure of a driver to turn to the left when entering a roundabout
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 13:20   #66
loveall

Recently i was on a dual carriage way. Two lanes into roundabout and two out for north and south traffic with the east and west roads joining the roundabout being single lane.
I entered the roundabout in the right lane as traffic in left was indicating left. I gave way to a car coming round in the left lane of the roundabout. I'd expected the driver to take the next exit but he didn't, I had a feeling something wasn't right. He didn't take the exit for the junction i was taking either and so passed directly in front of my bonnet. He'd gone around the whole roundabout in the left lane. I had my eye on him and could see it coming so I was prepared, but the car behind me nearly flew into my rear.
No such thing as a free for all on any roundabout!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion