Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misfires with Eley Match .22 LR

Options
  • 20-04-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Over the last couple of weeks four of us, shooting Anschutz rifles from 1963 up to last year have had a lot of misfires with Eley Match .22LR ammunition. Strikes seem inconsistent, and our rules preclude trying to shoot them again.

I keep meaning to check the rim thickness, which just might be the reason for the problem. I know that Bleiker, for instance, make a different bolt head to accommodate different brands of this cartridge calibre that have a different rim thickness - hence, headspace.

I've had eleven misfires out of fifty, and another fellow shooter had every other shot FTF. Problem is that we have thousands of rounds of this stuff between us....

Anybody here had that problem?

No other brand has shown this problem, and right now we are shooting R50 instead - costy stuff indeed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

This started as a thought I had in my head about bullet lube, especially used with low and standard velocity ammo. Build up of crud on bolt and chamber can cause light strikes.....

...but it led to this .....

The difference is case length. I don't really understand why but RWS and Lapua ..22 cases are slightly longer than Eley .22 cases. The RWS R-50SC has the same case length as Eley.
    One of my prone rifles is chambered for Eley (Elliot Reamer) and it does not like Lapua or RWS match ammunition due to the case length. However, the R-50SC works fine in this rifle. There is a great variance with aftermarket .22 match barrels due to the variety of reamers and theories in use. This is an attempt by RWS to increase the use of their products and I believe it to be a good idea

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjywLn8td_hAhUNQRUIHaOCCTcQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rimfirecentral.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D585295&psig=AOvVaw0Ver_BwVrPyeP1xIAg3blW&ust=1555875481640132

.....this is a discussion on the difference between RW50 and RW50SC, the fact it mentions Eley and chamber lenght may make it relevent.

Just a thought, may or may not be relevant to your issues.

More possibly useful / useless info.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/how-to-prevent-rimfire-misfires/99706

Meant to say, that I used Eley hollow points religiously until they became hard to get, now use Winchester subs and luckily enough they shoot same POI. Never had any issues with either round. Now bulk Federal and Remington HV are a different bag, regularly giving misfires and inconsistent loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's very odd that this problem has just begun to occur, with four rifles dating from 1963 [my Model 1409] to a very new sporting model less than a month old. We are all shooting from the same batch of ammunition, too. Maybe it's a QC thing. The bullet is Eley's new flat nose design, BTW, and is very dry to the touch - no goop on THIS ammunition.

According to the tech spec it uses a wax lubricant

478270.png

As per some of the above articles, has the ammo got damp over a period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

The Eley round has a very thin rim, probably the thinnest of all rim fire ammo. I shoot with a Racer R3 and it has adjustable headspace. You can adjust in the bolt with shims or different size internal sleeves. On their list of sizes they appear to be aimed at say Eley and another size for R50 and Lapua. When using the wrong size I got a few light strikes and misfires with Tenex. You need to hit them pretty hard.
    I would imagine that your new Annie will have a headspace of Max SIMI size to allow you to use any ammo in your firearm, this could be causing the issue, the older guns maybe a slight bit of wear in firing pin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

According to the tech spec it uses a wax lubricant

478270.png

As per some of the above articles, has the ammo got damp over a period of time?

The wax coating is virtually undetectable, unlike some brands where it appears to have been dipped into a bucket of grease. IMO damp doesn't enter into the equation, as the ammunition was all bought from the one dealer in sealed packaging at the same time from an Eley outer bulk packaging ex factory, in which it is kept until we use it.

I'm betting that it is a headspace issue, as detailed above, since no other European branded product - Geco, RWS, Lapua SK or Fiocchi has shown the same bad manners.

Thanks to you all for your attention - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

eley has the thinnest and hardest rim out of all, so if youre going to have a misfire due to a weakening spring (usually) itll happen with eley before Lapua or RWS.

Advertisement