Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After we are gone, what should be done with our research ?

• 29-07-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Over the last few months since my cousin passed away, I've been asking myself this question. She was the family historian and genealogist on my mum's side, and had done a huge amount of work over the last 20 years. I will approach her siblings in due course (she never married), but I was wondering what could/should be done with her body of research. I don't believe any of her siblings have an interest.

Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you not want it yourself?

This is why we say publish or be damned.

I'm planning to brainwash the next generation (to which I have not personally contributed) so they will be super keen to take over from me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Do you not want it yourself?

This is why we say publish or be damned.

I'm planning to brainwash the next generation (to which I have not personally contributed) so they will be super keen to take over from me.

I'd be more than happy to do so, and will suggest that to her next of kin, but the wider question is if there was any central repository that would be interested in taking the research ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've thought about the same issue - most of my family are at best indifferent. I wonder if the national library could set up a repository for family research?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

KildareFan wrote: »
    I've thought about the same issue - most of my family are at best indifferent. I wonder if the national library could set up a repository for family research?

I feel as though when this subject was discussed before somebody did mention that the National Library or somewhere similar has a facility to accept peoples research projects.

Perhaps it's a bit premature to be concerned with such matters but something that also concerns me is whether my work will be complete before my time is up.

While I have much to do besides, my general goal is to identify all of my g-g-g-grandparents and all of their descendants. And when that's done I'd like to be able to present my work in such a way that a total stranger would be able to make sense of it all were I not there to guide them.

As a politician might say - a lot done, a lot more still to do! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you are a member of the IGRS, they might take a digital copy of your research. Storage is a problem for them, and most organisations. The NLI wouldn't welcome it - I don't think. However, a county archive might be interested in research on a local family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ah, maybe it was IGRS I was thinking of.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm new to doing some genealogy on my own families and not sure if using the various commercial firms on the net, both profit and not for profit, are tantamount to treason on here :) but could you not upload a gedcom public tree to them and release it to the public domain?

Well, I don't know about others, but I do have versions of my tree online but I'll never put the fully sourced version online.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

I think the Genealogical Society of Ireland might be willing to take records.

Well, I don't know about others, but I do have versions of my tree online but I'll never put the fully sourced version online.

Why is that, pinkypinky ?

• Advertisement

Because it represents 25+ years of personal research, which I can stand over, and spent a lot of money on. I already give the likes of Ancestry and FMP money every year and I don't see why I should give my research to them too. I've seen people who I shared research with put it up online without thinking to check with me, which then can be copied by anyone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You can post details on the LDS website. They seem happy to maintain and accept user-generated details.

Because it represents 25+ years of personal research, which I can stand over, and spent a lot of money on. I already give the likes of Ancestry and FMP money every year and I don't see why I should give my research to them too. I've seen people who I shared research with put it up online without thinking to check with me, which then can be copied by anyone.

That's a fair point, and I can understand that. Personally I am the other end of the spectrum, in that I want to share stuff I have found, but I haven't invested the time and effort you clearly have.

I am happy to share with people who are related to me and regularly email various distant cousins to update them if I find something new. I just amn't going to spend hours improving Ancestry's hint system by confirming that yes, that is the index reference for so&so's birth.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement