Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SmartWatch for Golf

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What's the app like for putting on shotscope?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

What's the app like for putting on shotscope?

It's all done through the shotscope app. You can either do it manually or automatically (using the sensors). I find manual is better, you press a button to mark where you putt from when you're standing over the ball until you finish out. When you finish out you tag the pin by pressing another putting, then you can get stats like average proximity to the hole by each club and a breakdown of your putting performance from different distances etc, there's heaps of data available on the app.

I find it's better than the automatic as it struggles to pick up the tap ins, sounds like a lot of buttons but it's actually really straight forward, might take a round or two to get used to. They've also included strokes gained on the app, the only comparison is to pro's so a lot of minus SG but good to see where you are losing out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

CSWS101 wrote: »
    It's all done through the shotscope app. You can either do it manually or automatically (using the sensors). I find manual is better, you press a button to mark where you putt from when you're standing over the ball until you finish out. When you finish out you tag the pin by pressing another putting, then you can get stats like average proximity to the hole by each club and a breakdown of your putting performance from different distances etc, there's heaps of data available on the app.

I find it's better than the automatic as it struggles to pick up the tap ins, sounds like a lot of buttons but it's actually really straight forward, might take a round or two to get used to. They've also included strokes gained on the app, the only comparison is to pro's so a lot of minus SG but good to see where you are losing out on.

That does sound like a lot of buttons, so you walk up to your ball on the green, unlock phone and press a button, putt, unlock phone and press button, hole out and unlock and press another button? Or am I misunderstanding?

Am tempted by an Arccos or Shotscope but that seems like way too much messing around. Can imagine playing partners getting a bit annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That does sound like a lot of buttons, so you walk up to your ball on the green, unlock phone and press a button, putt, unlock phone and press button, hole out and unlock and press another button? Or am I misunderstanding?

Am tempted by an Arccos or Shotscope but that seems like way too much messing around. Can imagine playing partners getting a bit annoyed.

The button is on the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The button is on the watch.

Doh! :o That makes a lot more sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i use manual

watch knows your on the green so press a button before each putt. then press button to collect pin.

auto doesnt work well imo but i glued the sensor on top of putter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

i use manual

watch knows your on the green so press a button before each putt. then press button to collect pin.

auto doesn't work well imo but i glued the sensor on top of putter

That sounds like a neat enough feature for them....i use the S60 with a sensor on the putter and i'd love if it gave better stats on the putting....at the moment it just tells your % 1, 2 and 3 putts from short, medium and long range which i think is 0-10, 10-20 and 20+........when you consider how quickly your 1 putt % fall between 3 and 10ft, it really doesn't give you the full picture....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Delighted with the new V3! Ordered Tuesday night and arrived Friday morning in time for 9 yesterday evening. Really happy with it although my S1 pocket watch was a low bar to surpass :pac:

Screwed in the tags no bother, I was a little worried it would take a while considering some of the reviews. Al pretty simple and straightforward and they screw out easy too, which I was a little concerned about for changing clubs and grips and whatnot.

Mapped the nine holes, disappointingly it didn't have the new 4th mapped in our club, so wouldn't pick up the green automatically for the pin capture, but it was quick enough to sort it manually. The putting and pin capture is really simple and fast while playing, no issues there. really cool having the hazard information for the first time for me. On our course they could really do with including a few of the trees as hazards, it would be great to have the distance to get past some of them, but I always want more :p

The more fiddly aspect come after the round in editing, but I'm sure that will become easier with time. Didn't know what I was doing for a while and I had played some practice shots which I didn't know how to notify on the watch while playing (there's something on their website about an option for this?). It's definitely fiddly though and with no desktop app you'd need a large enough phone screen. Gave up actually using yesterday's dat because I was scrap and with all the practise shots.

Looking forward to getting out with it again this evening and just playing one ball and editing it after. Some cool things are seeing what club you're hitting on the watch and the fact it keeps a running distance of your last shot at all times.

Overall, very happy so far, but will post another update after logging a few rounds. Seems very good value at €190 considering all the functionality you get.

Delighted with the new V3! Ordered Tuesday night and arrived Friday morning in time for 9 yesterday evening. Really happy with it although my S1 pocket watch was a low bar to surpass :pac:

Screwed in the tags no bother, I was a little worried it would take a while considering some of the reviews. Al pretty simple and straightforward and they screw out easy too, which I was a little concerned about for changing clubs and grips and whatnot.

Mapped the nine holes, disappointingly it didn't have the new 4th mapped in our club, so wouldn't pick up the green automatically for the pin capture, but it was quick enough to sort it manually. The putting and pin capture is really simple and fast while playing, no issues there. really cool having the hazard information for the first time for me. On our course they could really do with including a few of the trees as hazards, it would be great to have the distance to get past some of them, but I always want more :p

The more fiddly aspect come after the round in editing, but I'm sure that will become easier with time. Didn't know what I was doing for a while and I had played some practice shots which I didn't know how to notify on the watch while playing (there's something on their website about an option for this?). It's definitely fiddly though and with no desktop app you'd need a large enough phone screen. Gave up actually using yesterday's dat because I was scrap and with all the practise shots.

Looking forward to getting out with it again this evening and just playing one ball and editing it after. Some cool things are seeing what club you're hitting on the watch and the fact it keeps a running distance of your last shot at all times.

Overall, very happy so far, but will post another update after logging a few rounds. Seems very good value at €190 considering all the functionality you get.

I thought there was a PC app to update the watch but I think you can edit your round there as well.

How big is the watch on your arm? I found the V2 stood up quite a lot off my arm.

• Advertisement

I thought there was a PC app to update the watch but I think you can edit your round there as well.

How big is the watch on your arm? I found the V2 stood up quite a lot off my arm.

It's exclusively a mobile app for the V3 apparently which is definitely more fiddly.

Didn't really notice the watch on my wrist at all and I never wear a watch and my S1 hasn't had a strap for over a year, so I'd say it's a pretty good fit and non-intrusive on the swing. Supposedly 60% smaller than the V2, so I'd say you'd notice a big difference.

v 3 is much smaller and neater than v2

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

You can edit your shots on PC by logging in onto the hub on their website, that’s much easier for editing rounds. For practice shots I pause the tracking, you can find a guide how to do that on their website. It’s a bit annoying but the best solution I’ve discovered so far.

For the mapping of your course, if you drop them an email and ask them to re-map it they’re usually really quick to reply and sort it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

CSWS101 wrote: »
    You can edit your shots on PC by logging in onto the hub on their website, that’s much easier for editing rounds. For practice shots I pause the tracking, you can find a guide how to do that on their website. It’s a bit annoying but the best solution I’ve discovered so far.

For the mapping of your course, if you drop them an email and ask them to re-map it they’re usually really quick to reply and sort it out for you

Re: mapping the course, I have had to contact them twice over the last year to remap our course....both times, they were back within 48 hours and fixes in place. This time around it was amending incorrect pars on the course, which they did, and retrospectively amended my scorecards this year to reflect the par amends.Great company to deal with.

How much battery is consumed in an 18 hole round on the v3 ? It’s the only weakness of the v2 as far as I am concerned....1 round and done...seriously considering upgrading but would like to know how many rounds you get from the v3 on a single full charge.

Re: mapping the course, I have had to contact them twice over the last year to remap our course....both times, they were back within 48 hours and fixes in place. This time around it was amending incorrect pars on the course, which they did, and retrospectively amended my scorecards this year to reflect the par amends.Great company to deal with.

How much battery is consumed in an 18 hole round on the v3 ? It’s the only weakness of the v2 as far as I am concerned....1 round and done...seriously considering upgrading but would like to know how many rounds you get from the v3 on a single full charge.

Have played one nine hole and one 18 with mine so far on the first charge, I imagine you would get two full rounds comfortably enough, but that would be it.

Have played one nine hole and one 18 with mine so far on the first charge, I imagine you would get two full rounds comfortably enough, but that would be it.

ive squeezed in two rounds in a day. but only turned it on on the 1st tee both times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Thanks for the real world feedback. I’m very very unlikely to ever need to complete 2 rounds in a day and I don’t wear a watch during the day....I think I’ll stick with the V2 for now.

Thanks for the real world feedback. I’m very very unlikely to ever need to complete 2 rounds in a day and I don’t wear a watch during the day....I think I’ll stick with the V2 for now.

v3 is big improvement imo

smaller and more comfortable on the wrist aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I think the v3 is a horrible watch to wear. Clunky, cheap. Horrible strap that keeps coming undone. It's like a crap plastic watch you won in a vending machine in the ilac centre in the early 90s

willabur wrote: »
    I think the v3 is a horrible watch to wear. Clunky, cheap. Horrible strap that keeps coming undone. It's like a crap plastic watch you won in a vending machine in the ilac centre in the early 90s

You wouldn't likeV2 at all then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Looking for recommendations for a new GPS watch. I currently have a Garmin X40. I initially liked this as it has cross-over into other fitness stuff - step counter, heart rate etc.
    But I found that I don't really use this stuff and only wear it to play golf.

I also no longer use the shot recording stuff anymore - the data that is uploaded to the app.

What I am looking for is something that, aside from the usual Front, Middle, Back allows you to get the yardage of a point you pick on the course - the corner of a dog-leg, point on a green, for example and is value for money

Appreciate any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/611037

Garmin s10 is their most basic

They have a new Approach S12 for 200 that looks a bit nicer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks for this, but I don't think that either will allow you to manually pick a point of your choosing - like a tree, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Thanks for this, but I don't think that either will allow you to manually pick a point of your choosing - like a tree, etc

You'd need a laser for that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I've the S20 (which I think is the same) and it will give you distances to bunkers and the occasional other thing. You can also get layup distances and that will give you some guidance to where you're hitting.

But a laser or fancier watch will do it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

blue note wrote: »
    I've the S20 (which I think is the same) and it will give you distances to bunkers and the occasional other thing. You can also get layup distances and that will give you some guidance to where you're hitting.

But a laser or fancier watch will do it better.
    I have the S10 and although I've toyed with getting a more upmarket model, it's the pure simplicity and ease of use of the S10 that's stopped me. Battery lasts forever when you're not playing golf, lasts long enough for two rounds when you are and has all the courses loaded, so never has you caught on the hop. Which I've seen happen with the more expensive ones. I probably will upgrade at some stage, but it will be for similar features tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

BraveDonut wrote: »

If you dont want to go the laser route, you'd probably need to go for a gps unit, rather than watch.

I've the Garmin approach g6, which is a couple of years old, but it does let me pick points on the displayed map and shows distance to that point and distance left from that point to the green.

Let's you move the pin around on the green too

Advertisement