Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious budget wedding photographer

Options
  • 28-02-2020 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondering, any ideas/recommendations/advice on a wedding photographer on a tight budget??
    We literally want some one there for ceremony and some bride and groom pics. Ours is a TINY wedding with only immediate family. This August.

We've no interest or funds in going for big packages and albums and videos. It's very intimate,m and low key. In the clare/Galway/limerick area.
    Any advice on what to do ???
    Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How much is in your tight budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

Effects wrote: »
    How much is in your tight budget?

Definitely in the low hundreds, no more than 200 really we'd be able to pay. One might laugh at this I know, but we really don't want to spend hours with a photographer, we've no "Wedding party" as such, just bride and groom, not doing first dances or any "meal call" or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Definitely in the low hundreds, no more than 200 really we'd be able to pay. One might laugh at this I know, but we really don't want to spend hours with a photographer, we've no "Wedding party" as such, just bride and groom, not doing first dances or any "meal call" or anything like that.

You will be very lucky to get anyone near pro level to do any sort of wedding for €200 , ask around some of your family they might know an enthusiast with good enough lens and camera to do it for you .
    Contact your local camera club , normally some people looking to get wedding experience who might do it for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Is there no one you know who is interested in photography?
    I don't believe you will get a pro for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

You might get a photography student from a local college for a small budget. Someone still learning the ropes would be delighted for the experience I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

For that budget you won’t get a professional photographer. You could get a student wanting to build a portfolio or a friend with a good camera and ask for digital photos (as 200 won’t be enough for printing). Could someone gift you money for a photographer as your wedding present? It’s a once in a lifetime event so you might regret not getting a few nice photos. I’m not saying you have to go for a big package but just to get a nice photo for the mantelpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Like others said, you won't get a professional photographer for that. I also had a very small wedding and just wanted a photographer for the ceremony and a few photos afterwards. I contacted several photographers with this request (many call this an elopement package btw) and none of the quotes I got was even close to your budget. You have to remember that the photographer can't really do any other wedding that day so you're kind of asking them to clear that day for you. You'll either need to increase your budget or look at alternatives, get a friend or a hobby photographer or photography student to do it. FWIW, I also thought at first it was a bit much to pay for photos, but afterwards I was so glad we paid for a professional photographer, was definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

If it's a Monday or Tuesday wedding, you may have a chance of getting someone and if the hotel is relatively exclusive, that would also be a plus, I know someone who got a pro for 300 for a wedding similar to yours, very small intimate wedding party at a 5 star hotel, once he heard the location and day, he was happy to do it but of no use to you as based in the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You might get somebody to do photos for you for that price. But they won't be edited to professional wedding standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

miezekatze wrote: »
    Like others said, you won't get a professional photographer for that. I also had a very small wedding and just wanted a photographer for the ceremony and a few photos afterwards. I contacted several photographers with this request (many call this an elopement package btw) and none of the quotes I got was even close to your budget. You have to remember that the photographer can't really do any other wedding that day so you're kind of asking them to clear that day for you. You'll either need to increase your budget or look at alternatives, get a friend or a hobby photographer or photography student to do it. FWIW, I also thought at first it was a bit much to pay for photos, but afterwards I was so glad we paid for a professional photographer, was definitely worth it.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

I enquired about this, we just wanted someone for a couple of hours. Basic family photos, no pictures of shoes or flowers. We got so many trying to push packages on us of thousands (!?) of pictures.
    One nice photographer gave the advice to ring around nearer to the wedding for availability, as photographers are less likely to get a full day booking at short notice, and more likely to take on a mini session. He was suggesting an initial fee of €150 plus €100 an hour. I know it's hard to leave it that long for fear of not getting anyone. Hth
    As it turns out, I found a duo who are just starting to go professional and liked their pictures, and they gave me a great deal for exactly what I want.

Advertisement