Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untaken Holidays - Policy or Law?

Options
  • 26-01-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 12 days holidays untaken from last year.

I didn't take them as there was no point and I'd rather be working than been stuck at home during lockdown.

My employer agreed I could carry over 5 but a colleague said legally I am entitled to all 12.

Is this at the employer's discretion or legally must they be granted?

I am not too fussed either way as I chose not to take them, just curious!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 12 days holidays to carry over from last year.

I didn't take them as there was no point and I'd rather be working than been stuck at home during lockdown.

My employer agreed I could carry over 5 but a colleague said legally I am entitled to all 12.

Is this at the employer's discretion or legally must they be granted?

I am not too fussed either way as I chose not to take them, just curious!

Thanks

If your employer didn't stop you from taking them last year then you can only carry the agreed amount over

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

2 fast wrote: »
    If your employer didn't stop you from taking them last year then you can only carry the agreed amount over

Agreed, carryover is to allow for situations where they had to refuse or cancel your leave requests. If you had ample opportunity to take them, it's your responsibility to have used them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 singmeasongy

We were told legally we had to take 20 days annual leave. Organisation of Working Time Act.

The norm would be that you could carry over days. Now you can once you had used up minimum of 20 days. This was brought in as nobody was taking holidays and the act was quoted as a legal obligation of the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Legally your employer should have required you to take the leave within the year.

Advertisement