Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle should never have passed DOE

Options
  • 26-01-2021 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My parents Purchased a vehicle with DOE for 1 year but on inspection it should have never passed rust all way through chassis. I looking for advice as when viewed the vehicle the major damaged areas were cover up with paper mastic and underbody spray.

The vehicle went for service and when up on a hoist it, it was clear it should never have passed the DOE.

Looking for advice of taking the previous owner to court or the DOE center.
    As Im sure there no way this should have passed.

Anyone ever gone down these routes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

From the CVRT website:

"The CVRT confirms that a vehicle satisfies basic safety standards on the day the test is carried out. It tests what is accessible and visible. It does not confer a warranty as regards the condition of the vehicle."

https://www.cvrt.ie/en/About-CVRT/Pages/What%20is%20the%20CVRT.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, similar to the NCT, a snapshot in time. It only confirms that on the day of the test it was visually ok. Have seen a few spats of people vs the NCT/ CVRTs, i genuinely don't recall a successful one as they are so well decorated with clauses that it is not a substitute for servicing/ pre purchase inspection etc and only to be considered that the car met a certain minimum set of criteria on the day.

Unless you were sold the car by a dealer i'd say you're in trouble. Any previous private owner will just say (and possibly truthfully) that they had no idea about it's condition.

Did anyone inspect the car before the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hghgvgfxd

Its not the warranty im looking for , its the fact the vehicle was passed and if the inspection process was carried out there is no way it should have passed. The vehicle has a chassis that collapsing, which dose not warrant a Certificate of Roadworthiness which it received. Im happy a engineers report on how bad it is find a way of confronting the DOE center.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

hghgvgfxd wrote: »
    Its not the warranty im looking for , its the fact the vehicle was passed and if the inspection process was carried out there is no way it should have passed. The vehicle has a chassis that collapsing, which dose not warrant a Certificate of Roadworthiness which it received. Im happy a engineers report on how bad it is find a way of confronting the DOE center.

If its so obvious to you now that it has a collapsing chassis, why not before purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

Unfortunately you can’t prove it wasn’t road worthy at the time of the test, even if the test was only last week. How do you know the chassis wasn’t fine at the time of the test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Is it a nissan Navara

They will just tell you it's your job to ensure the car is safe and roadworthy, not theirs. Things can be missed, unfortunately.

There was a very internet famous one of these type stories with a Mk1 Tucson that was purchased privately with a new NCT, I remember seeing recently. Car was in a terrible state, huge holes in the subframe, looked like the car was dredged out of the Irish sea, but the car passed it's NCT.

The owner went on to pursue NCT's via a solicitor, NCT's then agreed to re-inspect the car. They admitted that the first inspection was "likely" to have missed the issues presented and assured that the staff member would be sent on refresher training. They voided the cars current NCT cert and gave the owner a fail sheet, told him it was still his responsibility to keep the car roadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Unless a tester goes around the underbelly of car probing with a tool to see weak points concealed under schultz they might not see it.Bulges in under coverage will get a poke to see if sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is it a camper?

I'd say forget about redress from the test centre.

If the previous owner owner sold it privately to your parents their defence would be that they didn't know about the chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

greasepalm wrote: »
    Unless a tester goes around the underbelly of car probing with a tool to see weak points concealed under schultz they might not see it.Bulges in under coverage will get a poke to see if sound.

A tester who I know well told me that they when they inspect particular vehicles which would be known to rust badly in certain areas they give them a really good going over with a sharp tool to make sure the metal is still good.

• Advertisement

Private sales are usually "buyer beware, sold as seen"

Have you checked to see if the cert is genuine and not a fake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

They will just tell you it's your job to ensure the car is safe and roadworthy, not theirs. Things can be missed, unfortunately.

There was a very internet famous one of these type stories with a Mk1 Tucson that was purchased privately with a new NCT, I remember seeing recently. Car was in a terrible state, huge holes in the subframe, looked like the car was dredged out of the Irish sea, but the car passed it's NCT.

The owner went on to pursue NCT's via a solicitor, NCT's then agreed to re-inspect the car. They admitted that the first inspection was "likely" to have missed the issues presented and assured that the staff member would be sent on refresher training. They voided the cars current NCT cert and gave the owner a fail sheet, told him it was still his responsibility to keep the car roadworthy.

I had to lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

More information needed OP. How much of the chassis was rusted,. If it was just one spot, then it's easy to miss. If its across huge parts of the chassis then there's something amiss.. Fake cert, 50 quid to a tester (easier do with CVRT as they are independent garages as opposed to NCTS) or dodgy seller. A CVRT tester will hammer away at a chassis if there's any doubt. As others have said, if its a private sale, you're on your own. Caveat Emptor

The rot is obvious when vehicle lifted up on hoist. (Plus im not hear to argue how two pensioners view vehicle).

So i approach the seller?

OR the DOE center
    and ill need to find a way for proving the rot was there at time of inspection?
    Get a solicitor , engineers report and any other advice.
    Maybe Ill entertain ye all and or become internet famous one of these type stories.

Im going seek solicitor advice tomorrow as i consider digging a deeper hole!

Look up the Tucson case, it's very googlable.

You'd be better off spending the solicitor money fixing the car.

If they bought it from a garage i'd say you have a strong comeback but if it was private, i'd say you are on your own.

ill upload some pictures tomorrow ? and maybe get some more advice? thanks so far

The rot is obvious when vehicle lifted up on hoist. (Plus im not hear to argue how two pensioners view vehicle).

So i approach the seller?

OR the DOE center
    and ill need to find a way for proving the rot was there at time of inspection?
    Get a solicitor , engineers report and any other advice.
    Maybe Ill entertain ye all and or become internet famous one of these type stories.

Im going seek solicitor advice tomorrow as i consider digging a deeper hole!

Before doing any of that go to the CVRT site, put in the reg of the vehicle and check the cert is valid and not a fake.
    CVRT Link:
    https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

ill upload some pictures tomorrow ? and maybe get some more advice? thanks so far

If it's a private sale you have no come back whatsoever so I'd just give up now and not waste any money on it and take it as a lesson learned.

Your not going to win. If you even contact the center what do you think there going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Ah,i knew it.if only i could find some lad or lassie in the cvrt test centre that would take the BIG fifty euro note,I'd leave in the heater vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Dirty Nails

My parents Purchased a vehicle with DOE for 1 year but on inspection it should have never passed rust all way through chassis. I looking for advice as when viewed the vehicle the major damaged areas were cover up with paper mastic and underbody spray.

The vehicle went for service and when up on a hoist it, it was clear it should never have passed the DOE.

You didn't say what the vehicle is,how long you have it,or how old it is,but is it a monocoque or ladder chassis?
    Either way,if it can't be seen,it makes it difficult to test.
    The person that deliberately concealed a defect to impede a CVRT would probably be the most guilty party.You'll really have to prove who hid the defect.
    That would be my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Dirty Nails

ruwithme wrote: »
    Ah,i knew it.if only i could find some lad or lassie in the cvrt test centre that would take the BIG fifty euro note,I'd leave in the heater vent.

If you drop me the ton,I might know someone that'll take the 50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A tester who I know well told me that they when they inspect particular vehicles which would be known to rust badly in certain areas they give them a really good going over with a sharp tool to make sure the metal is still good.

Aye agree as the same faults crop up time and time again as they are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I do wonder if you are looking for people to tell you what you want to hear, rather than the blunt truth. Understandably you are angry, but there may be no recourse here for you

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put up a picture of the cert.

I bought a car before. Passed NCT with flying colours. Went to my mechanic with it for something completely unrelated and he said there was no way the car should have passed the NCT. rear suspension parts were knackered and brakes were the same. Reckons the fella knew a tester and wink wink, nudge nudge, wallah, the car has passed the test.

Whereas I had a different car that flew through and failed on front tints, and I couldn't even get the tester to take €50 to turn a blind eye to that if i turned up to the visual re-test with the front windows down. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Get onto RSA there over CVRT. It well known especially truck RSA people can be waiting in car park and when vehicle pass thay will retest vehicle right way it see if standard of inspection was right (There was testing centre in cork that lost there right of testing because of passing vehicle that shouldn't) *That what people was saying locally when they stopped cvrt testing so could be Chinese whisper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

My old camper passed the test with the chassis rail rusted right through and sucessfully hidden by I know not who. The CVRT people couldn't see the fault, because it's wasn't visible, I didn't even bother complaining. I found it myself later on. New chassis rails both sides at the front plus new cross member cost a few bob... no one to blame but me for not spotting it on purchase.

chas.jpg

Advertisement