Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the worst cycling accident you ever had? Was it your fault or someone else’s?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

broke a couple of ribs in September, went over on some gravel while mountain biking and came down hard on my side. It was stupid, I wasn't even on a track, it was in the carpark, I looked back to check on my son who was behind me and down I went. Never look back!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

neris wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity anything happen to the driver? Ban? Points?

No nothing, no laws were broken, just reckless impatience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Was swinging left in East Point business park
    (i) corner has poor visibility due to large bush on the corner.
    (ii) I go around the corner to find Car A overtaking Car B, driving on RHS of road at speed, and heading directly towards me.

I jump of the bike, break my wrist in the fall.

Didnt get reg, Business Park couldnt offer any CCTV footage. Driver saw that I had fallen but kept going.

Bear in mind that the business park has a speed limit of 30km/h and yet one car was overtaking another moving car.

The thing that stayed with me was that because there hadnt been a collision, therefore there was a question mark over liability. I jumped off the bike, therefore it was a single 'vehicle' accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Most comical one for me without doubt was falling into the canal at Cross Guns Bridge - tried to cycle between the gate and a post beside the canal, hit off the gate and wobbled down the bank. Because I was clipped in, wasnt able to break the fall.

I was standing up to my waist in water, trying to climb out. The bank there is about 8 feet high and fairly steep. Couldnt get out.

Good few people walked past, asking helpful questions like "are you alright?".

Then a chap that on any other day I'd have described as an absolute scobe came along walking his pitbull, seen me in the water, skipped down the bank and says "give us your hand", pulled me out and then pulled my bike out. I was grateful to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Driver pulled out from a parking space in front of me. I instinctively swerved (where in hindsight I would've loved to have braked) and I rear-ended another car. Split open my face while shattering their rear windscreen.

First aid from some very capable passers-by, fire brigade were excellent, St James staff were fantastic. Garda who arrived on scene asked me in my concussed state how fast I was going and then didn't take anyone's details (so no witnesses) despite me asking him specifically to take the details of the driver who pulled out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The thing that stayed with me was that because there hadnt been a collision, therefore there was a question mark over liability.
    an ex-colleague got €13k from a motorist who never made contact with him. he was passing a car park entrance, and she (coming from the oncoming direction) swung into it - he swerved, collided with another car, and was briefly knocked unconscious. she kept going, and it was a motorist behind who followed her into the car park and took her details (and made her stay at the scene, IIRC). that motorist, and the motorist of the car he hit, gave statements supporting his version of events.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Worst for me was coming around a bend on a narrow boreen in Kerry at speed to meet a car with trailer taking the full width of the road coming the other way. Both shoulders dislocated with some permanent damage to one, dislocated elbow and lump taken out of one knee. Bike was ok but the impact caved in your man's bonnet. I took the blame for it at the time, though in retrospect it was 50/50 as I was on my side of the road and reckon he should have beeped coming up to blind corners given he was taking up the full width of the road, such as it was. Could have been worse but I take blind corners way slower now. No harm with the numbers of walkers on the roads in the first lockdown and cars overtaking them with little thought for oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Broken ribs, punctured lung and 7 stitches in my back from the (folded) key fob - 3 days in hospital, about 6 weeks off work iirc. It was racing, but race wasn't "on" at the time which was probably part of the problem, everyone had eased off was eating and drinking and someone went down ahead and no time to react. He admitted pulling away from a touch of wheels, so I guess that makes it someone else's fault?

I don't know whether it would've made difference, but I was let get up off the road which could have caused the punctured lungs, but only for needing the stitches and the doctor doing the stitching sending me for an x-ray, I would've just gone home and suffered it out assuming just cracking ribs.

That was the end of me racing, as I couldn't have another period out of the job in relatively short succession. However, I've got a racing licence for 2021, for what it's going to be worth the way things are looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Broke my ribs few weeks back using too much force taking a pedal off my defy.
    Old kickboxing injury and the worse break I've ever had. Very painful and I wasn't even cycling the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Was in a cycle lane, in heavy London traffic. Went up the inside of a bus, at a junction, and was hit on the right by a milk van on the junction.

Broke my shoulder-blade, but made a full recovery after a good bit of physio. Always consider myself very lucky that it wasn't worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Geez some serious injuries lads! From memory i reckon i've come off my bike about 10 times over the years. The worst injury was a cut over my right eye. I came off during a race a few years ago and cut my knee. The last time was last year when I decided to pull over into a driveway to put a rain jacket on. The front wheel slid away and i went down on my left side. a bit of road rash and i tore a hole in my good Castelli top!

I'm beginning to think i'm not a real cyclist as i've never broken a bone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Cycling down a quiet enough street and suddenly a parked cars door swings open and my neck/chest area hit the upper corner of the door dead on. Ended up with some stiches just under my neck and unable to move my shoulder properly for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Used to think when i was a mountain biker that a crash every now again was good, so as to not get too over confident and remind me to think twice in certain situations... it actually kinda worries me at the moment I haven't had a crash in maybe 50,000 odd kms...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Most comical one for me without doubt was falling into the canal at Cross Guns Bridge - tried to cycle between the gate and a post beside the canal, hit off the gate and wobbled down the bank. Because I was clipped in, wasnt able to break the fall.

I was standing up to my waist in water, trying to climb out. The bank there is about 8 feet high and fairly steep. Couldnt get out.

Good few people walked past, asking helpful questions like "are you alright?".

Then a chap that on any other day I'd have described as an absolute scobe came along walking his pitbull, seen me in the water, skipped down the bank and says "give us your hand", pulled me out and then pulled my bike out. I was grateful to say the least.

I went in at the speed bumps as you approach phibsboro. Was sick of them so went to around them, was slightly mucky, front wheel lost tractions, I went in, bike didn't. A lovely early summer day. Strange looks when I rolled into work sopping wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

1. Concussion from over the bars and hitting a rock. Don't remember much of it. (See, a lump of foam and plastic doesn't help :pac:)

2. 8 stitches on my shin from a pedal. I saw bone.

3. OTB and only saw later that day where the helmet just about caught the rear dropout bolt above my temple. Lucky with that one.

4. Broke my collarbone during the summer in Ticknock on a terribly designed drop in to a trail. Someone had hollowed out the middle of a 45° ramp and put the soil on top to give the ramp a little kick, instead of taking it from elsewhere.

I should have checked it out of course, but the same short trail took another collarbone and someones leg that same weekend. Shared blame on that one IMO, but no recourse since it wasn't an official trail.

The surgeon described the two halves the bone as being in different parishes. :eek: Two surgeries and 8 months later it's getting back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Wow, some serious injuries here. I've had anumber of breaks and cocussions myself, but not due to cycling accidents.

Ive properly come off my bike three times, all as a teenager. The first one I think I mentioned on here before. An old Raleigh front wheel had been put on "the wrong way", and the bearings seized, causing the axle to concertina into itself. I was crossing the road at the time, and came out over the handlebars. Breakfalls and rolling saved me from hurting myself beyond some scrapes and nicks.

The second one was on the way home in winter time from supervised study in school. I think i was probably in 6th year. I was cycling along by the canal, no street lighting, and too late I saw a guy walking ahead of me. He was walking on the wrong side of the road, so he didn't see my light, and had headphones on, so he didnt hear me. I went straight into him, and knocked him down. My one clear thought was that I had a flask of soup in my bag and if I fell it would break and everythin would be ruined. I landed, running, on my feet. To this day I don't know how I managed it .

The third one was the only time I was actually hurt. The likelihood is that I was concussed. Cycling to school on an icy morning, coming up to a hump back bridge, I got out of the saddle at the bottom to get up and over it, and on the first pedal strok, the bike came out from under me onblack ice. I rattled myself pretty badly, and the lady in the car behind me stopped because she was concerned about how hard I'd fallen. The reason I believe I was concussed is that she offered to drive me home, and I told her no, I needed to get to school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Got back into cycling by accident really ; Covid lockdown meant no football and needed some outlet. Will end up costing me thousands.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ah here - we don't have skangers in Skerries!

Yeah I was wondering, it's affluent af.
    Anyway I'm lucky in that I've never really had any bad ones, I remember once in about 2005 my wheel went into the luas track at the Jervis St stop and I went flying off. It was wet out and mud went all over me that was in the track. Right in front of a rush hour crowd too, scarleh. Wasn't really hurt though.
    A couple of times about 10 years ago I fell off while hammered coming back from pub, but the details weren't clear when I woke up the next day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I did go over arse over tit at my first CX race and ripped the arse out of my skinsuit so went round flashing a bit of skin at the very few people who were behind me. I also went arse over tit at the exact same place on the next lap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Worst crash: broken neck (3 vertebra, bits of scull tore off by ligaments too), dissected vertebral artery that included nice blood clot that could have resulted in stroke, stretched arm nerves. Four months ago. Then hit by
    some nice depression/physiological-stuff/PTSD afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Reading all these stories, makes me want to wear knee and elbow pads while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Worst crash: broken neck (3 vertebra, bits of scull tore off by ligaments too), dissected vertebral artery that included nice blood clot that could have resulted in stroke, stretched arm nerves. Four months ago. Then hit by
    some nice depression/physiological-stuff/PTSD afterwards.

And I think, we have a winner.

@fatbhoy, I hope, you have made a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jesus Christ Fatbhoy, that list of injuries is more than enough to make me think twice about cycling at all.

Quite a depressing thread when you read about life changing injuries from cycling, however temporary. These and Beasty's really leave a psychological mark. Not to trivialise anyone's injuries.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And I think, we have a winner.

@fatbhoy, I hope, you have made a full recovery.

Thanks. Artery is permanently out of action. Doctors said I wouldn't notice because I've another that will compensate, plus two that traverse on the outside of the spinal column. But you don't get given four for no reason, so I suspect there's a definite downside.
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Fatbhoy, that list of injuries is more than enough to make me think twice about cycling at all.

Quite a depressing thread when you read about life changing injuries from cycling, however temporary. These and Beasty's really leave a psychological mark. Not to trivialise anyone's injuries.

Well, if it's any consolation, it was from sheer and utter stupidity on my part (which brings with it its own shame), and it's MTBing, so I guess most people on this forum are roadies.

For the curious, it happened because I went off a big drop too slowly, had an OTB and landed on my head. Could have done the same accident 20 times and only landed on my head once, so bad luck played a part too,

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shotser

Thanks. Artery is permanently out of action. Doctors said I wouldn't notice because I've another that will compensate, plus two that traverse on the outside of the spinal column. But you don't get given four for no reason, so I suspect there's a definite downside.

No definite downside. You have 4 arteries feeding the Circle of Willis, 2 at the front (the internal carotid arteries) and 2 at the back (vertebral arteries - which merge to form the basilar artery). The Circle of Willis which is inside your skull at the base of your brain then gives off arteries that supply your brain. Everyday movements can cut of (momentarily) any of these 4 arteries supplying the Circle of Willis, that is why you have four of them, its built in redundancy. Because it's a circle the blood will get to the brain regardless if one of your internal carotids or vertebral arteries is no longer functioning. [Source - I'm a former physio anatomy lecturer]

Hope your feeling better. I've done the same on drops, fear of going too fast and you end up going too slow!

Shotser wrote: »
    No definite downside. You have 4 arteries feeding the Circle of Willis, 2 at the front (the internal carotid arteries) and 2 at the back (vertebral arteries - which merge to form the basilar artery). The Circle of Willis which is inside your skull at the base of your brain then gives off arteries that supply your brain. Everyday movements can cut of (momentarily) any of these 4 arteries supplying the Circle of Willis, that is why you have four of them, its built in redundancy. Because it's a circle the blood will get to the brain regardless if one of your internal carotids or vertebral arteries is no longer functioning. [Source - I'm a former physio anatomy lecturer]

Thank you, that's encouraging. The doctors mentioned something like that to me, but you've explained it better than they did. I feel better.
    Shotser wrote: »
    Hope your feeling better. I've done the same on drops, fear of going too fast and you end up going too slow!

It was fear of overshooting the landing, which I thought you'd need to brake just after because there's a tree and a bend. It's the big drop at the start of the trail at the big crossroads in Carrick. So I actually brain-froze and brake-checked just before it. I can't explain the rationale because there was no rational rationale :pac:

I reckon I could do it grand with a bit of a manual and a load of speed. Some day this year I'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

doored by a car in Merrion square years ago , there was blood but nothing broken

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Broken arm was the result of my worst crash, well a bent forearm apparently that required plaster and a sling. I had stood on the crossbar of a BMX... bike =/= skateboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Going down rathgar road in dublin, towards rathmines, as I was passing the petrol station a car turned into it from the other side of the road.
    I went down face first into the footpath, was knocked out for a moment, cut up lip and forehead, I'm left now with 2 cracked teeth and a contusion/slight lump on my forehead.

Taken away by ambulance. After many hours I was taken into a room to be seen to, almost fell asleep in there as it seems there was a shift change and bad handover, when someone finally came in they exclaimed, oh what are you doing here?...

Have always felt a bit of guilt about the whole thing because while the driver was at fault, I possibly could have slammed on breaks sooner but I had the instinctive thought of "what's this idiot doing, surely they'll realise and stop". Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Some day this year I'll do it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

My worst injury I was warming up for the nationals, damp track, coming down the banking on an effort, front wheel went from under me on the yellow line.

My own fault. Broken collarbone + elbow and shoulder out. I needed surgery, and have a plate now. My first year on track! Didn't put me off, but it did steal all my bravery for years.

I've put my shoulder out a few times (I am not counting MTB accidents as I am bad at it and there are many :pac:). One once went out cycling over a pothole on the way into work one morning :rolleyes: I've done each one 4 or 5 times now I think. They don't count!

I was hit by a car once and lost my memory for a month, that was before I was a proper cyclist. I had a really heavy steel step through bike and it was fine. My concentration was never the same again. I had a few whopper concussions when I was younger so I think it was cumulative dodginess. I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time.

Advertisement