Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Robb simply can’t get another contract at Connacht, for as big of a man as he is, his body has broken down

Kick a guy when he's down, real decent.

Robb is in contract for another year. We did great business with our centres Bundi, Farrell, Daly, Arnold and Robb as a group compare well with the other 3 Irish sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I know they're well compensated athletes and all but I always feel so bad for Robb and SOB that the last 3+ years of their profession has been so ravaged by injury.

Must be fierce difficult mentally coming back from long term injuries to end up waiting on scans to find out how much you'll miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I thought we would have heard something on contract renewals this week after Andy had signed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I thought we would have heard something on contract renewals this week after Andy had signed on.

Was wondering same. Seems no info from any province at present. It would seem IRFU are doing a bit of cloak and dagger stuff. I know they are financially pressed at the moment but leaving negotiations til the last moment is very risky. Clearly players need some degree of security themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Had seem only somewhere, think it was the Irish tiles report about Connacht not wanting Harry Byrnes, that it looked likely Carty and Conor Fitzgerald were signing on. Also saw on Twitter (not sure on reliability) that there would be good new regarding wootton signing permanently too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Everdene

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Had seem only somewhere, think it was the Irish tiles report about Connacht not wanting Harry Byrnes, that it looked likely Carty and Conor Fitzgerald were signing on. Also saw on Twitter (not sure on reliability) that there would be good new regarding wootton signing permanently too

Wooton quoted in 42.ie this morning "hopefully there will be a bit of good news for Connacht and myself in the next few weeks"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Players and coaches don't drop hints like that unless a deal is done. I would say a lot of deals are done, but they always have a strategy of when to announce them. With Covid, there aren't many options for moving anyway right now, and players know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Zzippy wrote: »
    Players and coaches don't drop hints like that unless a deal is done. I would say a lot of deals are done, but they always have a strategy of when to announce them. With Covid, there aren't many options for moving anyway right now, and players know that.

I'd have thought a Six Nations down week with a big game at the weekend would have been a good time to build some hype. Hopefully we get some announcements soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I'd have thought a Six Nations down week with a big game at the weekend would have been a good time to build some hype. Hopefully we get some announcements soon.

In fairness normally announcements are timed to boost ticket sales for a match or season ticket sales neither of which can be done in the current circumstances. I'd much prefer if everyone within the club was focused on the game at the weekend more so than the timing of an announcement.

I read that too but why would Connacht have been going for Hakshaw if we didn't need another 10. I wonder if there has been a signing at 10 already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Friend is never going to say he wants Harry Byrne publicly when he knows its never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

bayern wrote: »
    Friend is never going to say he wants Harry Byrne publicly when he knows its never going to happen.

This is absolute conjecture in my opinion.

What isn't is that history has shown, by in large, coaches are intelligent enough not to comment on things so openly unless there was a grain of truth in it.

But more importantly, it's not too unbelievable to think Leinster's third choice might move to another province seeing as y'know it has happened over and over again recently. Joey Carbery being the best example. Murphy, Cooney, Jack McGrath, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I read that too but why would Connacht have been going for Hakshaw if we didn't need another 10. I wonder if there has been a signing at 10 already.

10/12/15 might mean we are under pressure to retain someone or we rate him as a better option for similar €

There’s no third choice ten really, hawkshaw would be of that level

This is absolute conjecture in my opinion.

What isn't is that history has shown, by in large, coaches are intelligent enough not to comment on things so openly unless there was a grain of truth in it.

But more importantly, it's not too unbelievable to think Leinster's third choice might move to another province seeing as y'know it has happened over and over again recently. Joey Carbery being the best example. Murphy, Cooney, Jack McGrath, etc.

you'll be waiting forever if you think Harry Byrne is walking through those doors in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So 80 % of a team picks itself, I include in this our real senior pairing Dillane/Thornbury + E.Masterson/Boyle/Butler

Still interesting choice to be made

18) Duggan or McAlister
    19) Dowling or N.Murray
    20) S.Masterson, Oliver, or Big Papa
    9) Blade or Marmion
    22) C.Fitz or SOB 2.0 (with Daly covering 10)
    11) Healy or Wootton
    23) Healy or TOH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

you'll be waiting forever if you think Harry Byrne is walking through those doors in Galway.

I don't think it's going to happen, nor did I expect it to. However, I don't think its going to happen because Andy Friend, the Connacht coach, said so.

But that's not what was said. You stated Andy Friend knew it was never going to happen. I just pointed out that was conjecture as you have no idea. And also pointed out that a third choice player leaving Leinster for game time, even those rated as highly as Harry Byrne, happens every year.

Team named

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS CARDIFF BLUES
    Saturday 17th February, The Sportsground, k/o 7.35pm

Name/Number/Caps
    15. John Porch (31)
    14. Alex Wootton (13)
    13. Tom Daly (38)
    12. Bundee Aki (106)
    11. Matt Healy (144)
    10. Jack Carty (150)
    9. Caolin Blade (122)
    1. Jordan Duggan (7)
    2. Dave Heffernan (137)
    3. Finlay Bealham (150)
    4. Ultan Dillane (107)
    5. Gavin Thornbury (50)
    6. Eoghan Masterson (102)
    7. Jarrad Butler (66) (C)
    8. Paul Boyle (50)

Replacements
    16. Shane Delahunt (90)
    17. Denis Buckley (192)
    18. Jack Aungier (10)
    19. Oisin Dowling (1)
    20. Abraham Papali’i (6)
    21. Kieran Marmion (176)
    22. Sean O’Brien (Acad) (3)
    23. Tiernan O’Halloran (187)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Team named

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS CARDIFF BLUES
    Saturday 17th February, The Sportsground, k/o 7.35pm

Name/Number/Caps
    15. John Porch (31)
    14. Alex Wootton (13)
    13. Tom Daly (38)
    12. Bundee Aki (106)
    11. Matt Healy (144)
    10. Jack Carty (150)
    9. Caolin Blade (122)
    1. Jordan Duggan (7)
    2. Dave Heffernan (137)
    3. Finlay Bealham (150)
    4. Ultan Dillane (107)
    5. Gavin Thornbury (50)
    6. Eoghan Masterson (102)
    7. Jarrad Butler (66) (C)
    8. Paul Boyle (50)

Replacements
    16. Shane Delahunt (90)
    17. Denis Buckley (192)
    18. Jack Aungier (10)
    19. Oisin Dowling (1)
    20. Abraham Papali’i (6)
    21. Kieran Marmion (176)
    22. Sean O’Brien (Acad) (3)
    23. Tiernan O’Halloran (187)

Very strong team, and an impressive bench also. Absolutely have to be winning this one and start rectifying our home form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Big vote of confidence in Jordan Duggan. I would swap the hookers but I guess we might have been politely asked to start Heffernan. Looks like Aungier has cemented second choice, I reckon he could be a potential international.

No surprise to see Dowling ahead of Murray, he's a bit further along with his development. Harsh on Oliver to miss out but the balance of the back row is the best available and Papalii on the bench makes a lot of sense.

Scrum half could go either way, whoever we choose its such a luxury to have such a strong option on the bench. I would be a bit worried if I was Conor Fitz, shame he seems to have fallen out of favour as he definitely has potential. Still reckon we miss Tom Farrell majorly, that midfield lacks subtlety.

Delighted for Duggan to start. I would have thought Daly at 12 and Bundee at 13 would be a better fit. As mentioned we miss Farrell at 13. His ability to break the tackle is unreal.
    Great to have the bulk of Papalii, Dowling and Aungier coming off the bench.
    The selection headache of 9 is a great luxury.
    The routine lack of 10 on the bench is concerning. Daly is great but we will get caught out at some stage.
    Really looking forward to this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Very strong 23, so I'm hopeful of the win, and maybe even a try bonus (I know their try conceded total is low, but still).

Since a few posters mentioned us missing Tom (which I agree completely with, he's class), does anyone know when he's expected to return? I can't even remember the nature of his injury.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Very strong 23, so I'm hopeful of the win, and maybe even a try bonus (I know their try conceded total is low, but still).

Since a few posters mentioned us missing Tom (which I agree completely with, he's class), does anyone know when he's expected to return? I can't even remember the nature of his injury.

Out with a knee injury. Don't think he'll back this season

3 of the connacht u18 players in NTS squad:

Jonathan Flynn(TH Prop/Roscrea)
    John Claffey(Openside/Ballinasloe)
    John Devine(Outhalf-Centre/Ballinasloe)

3 of the connacht u18 players in NTS squad:

Jonathan Flynn(TH Prop/Roscrea)
    John Claffey(Openside/Ballinasloe)
    John Devine(Outhalf-Centre/Ballinasloe)

John related to Peter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

John related to Peter?
    Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Brothers

John Devine, son of Mike Devine, ex of Buccs and Offaly footballers??

John Devine, son of Mike Devine, ex of Buccs and Offaly footballers??

brother of eagles scrumhalf Matthew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If that 23 lives up to its potential it'll be a great match. Stupid ultimate rugby have SOB Sr in the team and got my hopes sky high.

Fitzgerald is very unlucky to miss out but a victim of two things pretty much out of his control:

a) Carty's quality means he won't be subbed off unless he's injured because he more than any other individual player wins games for us
    b) in the event that Carty does get injured Daly has proven he can capably cover quite well.

When you combine them the coaches might see giving the 22 spot to someone who plays 10 exclusively as wasteful.

Advertisement